“Saskatoon Surprise!”

Golden Pagoda Restaurant
Ranked #70 of 666 Restaurants in Saskatoon
Cuisines: Asian, Burmese
Good for: Dining on a budget
Cambridge, Canada
“Saskatoon Surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

I ate at this restaurant along with two friends during a visit to Saskatoon. We were surprised to find a Burmese restaurant in town and our curiosity was piqued. We weren't disappointed. Service was quick, friendly and helpful. We ordered a variety of dishes, starting with vegetable samosas. They were good but not great. Our mains were the lemongrass fish soup, curried potatoes, and spicy ginger lemongrass chicken. All were just outstanding. We also got an order of coconut rice which was also delicious. Diners can select their dishes based on a spiciness scale (2 - mild; 8 - very hot). We went with 5 and found it to be quite fine. It is a family run restaurant and you can tell that a lot of care goes into everything, from attentiveness to diners to attentiveness to food. In all, this was a wonderful food experience, and it was certainly reasonably priced. We made reservations on this particular Saturday night and this was a good plan as the restaurant was nearly full while we were there.

• Visited June 2012

Vancouver, Canada
“You must try Burmese food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

If you like Indian or Thai food, you must try Burmese food! I thought it would be like a cross between the two but it really is its own cuisine - very distinctive, and VERY good! Service was excellent; great value (the portions were huge!) - I highly recommend this restaurant. Had the Classic Curry with chicken and it was outstanding. You can choose what spice level you'd like; even medium was quite spicy, so non-spice-lovers be warned. I find myself wishing my home town had a Burmese restaurant!

Visited June 2012
Fredericton, Canada
“Good food, family run”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

This was a very good meal. Burmese is an interesting cross between Chinese, Indian, and perhaps some Thai as well. Started with the green papaya salad which was excellent...very tasty. Then had a couple of curries, a good main curry and a unique sweet and sour curry. Service from the owner was excellent...he went out of his way to provide suggestions and engage in some friendly conversation. This was a very satisfying meal.

• Visited May 2012
St. Albert, Canada
“The food was amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Only 2 of us shared 2 family style platters and some rice, but it would have been plenty for 3. That is what brought value for us down.

Saskatoon, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Burma in the prairies”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

My friend and I ate lunch at the Golden Pagoda. The service was friendly but there was only one person waiting tables. The food was delicious, but my meal was too sweet and too rich. My friend had the Burmese noodle dish and it was perfect, a fine blend of spices and textures.

I'd go for lunch first, to taste their fare and then graduate to dinner. Overall a pretty good experience.

Visited April 2012