“Decent food”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Grosvenor Park
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Been here a few times. Always decent food. Get there by 1130am and if you can ,sit to the right as you walk in. The carts go this way first. This way you get a good choice of items.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

The dim sum is quite good but unless you arrive early, you may be waiting at the door for quite some time. Service, once seated, is good but if you come too early then you won't get the variety of items on the dim sum carts that you get when you are seated later, so it's a catch 22 - do you arrive later & wait for more dim sum variety or arrive early & get seated promptly for less variety in dim sum dishes? I agree with another reviewer who says that the hosts/cashiers are "all business and very hurried" - almost feel like they don't have to be nice & friendly because you are leaving! The sticky rice here is fantastic as are the custard tarts.
We have also eaten their regular menu at supper time and found it to be fresh tasting but quite bland.
Definitely worth a try but there are other places in the city that are just as good.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

I'm not sure why my friends keep picking Yip Hong for dim sum on Sundays. The food is not that special. Service is good. But I would not recommend it. I go there because some of my friends drag me to it.

1  Thank icFace
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I've gone a couple of times already for their Dim Sum and it is quite good. I've also tried their dinner menu for take-out. The Dim Sum service is authentic. You sit and wait for the carts to go by and pick the items you want from it. I'm not sure if they offer direct ordering if you don't want to wait for the carts. Everything I've tried is comparable to the qualities you can find in Toronto. That includes the har gow, su mai, tripe, and sticky rice (pardon the spellings if incorrect). They only thing lacking is some of the more exotic dishes that you might find in Toronto but all the standard fare is there. The restaurant itself also looks like a typical Chinese restaurant. Quite stark and bare with only the essentials. Tables are fairly close quarters to maximize occupancy. The cart ladies are quite friendly and take the time to name everything. The hosts and cashiers are all business though and very hurried. The dinner menu experience was less pleasing than Dim Sum but still fairly decent. I found it to be a relatively small menu selection for a Chinese restaurant. The chicken friend rice was actually quite bland and fairly tasteless but the chow mein had a very good amount of seafood in it. I found the prices to be slightly higher than I have to pay in Toronto, particularly for Dim Sum. I would recommend trying their Dim Sum service.

Reviewed May 27, 2012

I have been frequenting Yip Hong's since my old standby (Saskatoon Garden) closed it's doors a few years back.

Yip Hong's has easily taken over as my new favourite. They prepare all the standbys like congi, sticky rice, steamed dumplings, steamed buns, turnip cakes, stuffed eggplant and more.

If you are going on a Sunday and want to make sure you get all they have to offer, go around 10 AM.  If you venture in after 11AM, be prepared to stand in line.

Service is equal to any dim sum restaurant I have been to - fast & minimal. You can always get what you need from the nice ladies with the carts.