“Love this museum”

Western Development Museum
Ranked #1 of 95 things to do in Saskatoon
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I have visited this museum twice and enjoyed it both times. I gives a realistic view of what life must have been like for early pioneers. You really do feel like you have arrived in a town in 1910 Saskatchewan. I particularly enjoyed the Winning the Prairie Gamble exhibit. You could really imagine what life must have been like for early homesteaders. My only complaint is that the museum is a bit out of town and hard to get to without a car. There is a bus that stops nearby but you still have to walk a way from the stop.

All reviews
in 26 reviews
"early days"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed October 12, 2012

A trip here was included in the itineray of a conference that I attended - when I heard about it I thought the idea a little hokey - but I loved it - a streescape inside a large building with some exceptional displays of western Canadian history

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I was in Saskatoon attending "Trends" the annual shoe showarama and the banquet was held at the Western Development Museum. I was overwhelmed by the sheer realistic feeling you got when you entered the "boomtown"! It was like walking straight into a 1910 town! The people were dressed in the vintage apparel and there were plenty of interactive displays. I especially liked the old car that you climbed up into and then it was just like you were driving along, only thing is gas was very expensive back then and the car was actually being pulled by an interactive horse! There was a gift shop with many hand-made saskatchewan products and an old CP rail locomotive. It is definitely a worth while place to visit and take the kids! Maybe they'll appreciate all the luxuries they have nowadays!

Reviewed October 4, 2012

I love wandering down the recreated streets of this 1910 town. I've visited on my own, with friends, and with my class of elementary students for a fieldtrip excursion. There's nothing dusty or musty about the displays.
The gift shop has an excellent selection of Saskatchewan products. If you're able to visit near Christmas you will also enjoy the parade of Christmas trees, decorated for charity.