“A slice of Nawlins in Saskatoon”
Review of Bon Temps Cafe

Bon Temps Cafe
Ranked #9 of 688 Restaurants in Saskatoon
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I've visited New Orleans and the French Quarter many times and love it there. So I was pleasantly surprised to find a slice of the Quarter right here in Saskatoon of all places.

A couple colleagues and I were actually heading to another restaurant when we passed by Bon Temps Cafe and liked the vibe coming from the place as we looked in the window. So we changed plans and stepped inside. Walking in felt like walking into a place right off Dauphine or Royal or Bourbon St in the Quarter right down to the tin ceiling tiles.

The food is a very good take on Cajun and Creole cuisine like you'd find down there. We ordered oysters to start and they were quite small. Frankly not worth the price but they were fresh. My crawfish étouffée on the other hand was well proportioned and excellent tasting.

I don't know how Saskatooners feel about Cajun or Creole cuisine but I love it and judging from the crowd in Bon Temps at the time, it seems to be catching on with the locals. I will definitely be coming back to eat next time I'm here for business.

There are newer reviews for Bon Temps Cafe

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We had lunch at Bon Temps on a Saturday.

Really loved the decor and atmosphere. Had a wonderful lunch. Our party had seafood creole and blackened chicken. Everyone was very pleased with our choices.

I've never been to N'awlins so can't really comment on how it compares with that experience.

We did have a wonderful, tasty lunch. Portions were more than adequate. Service was friendly and timely. Atmosphere was wonderful. Prices were fair.

I would recommend this restaurant without hesitation.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Décor is designed to give you the feeling of being in New Orleans, and the menu supplements that overall goal. This is a social place, not a private business meeting place. Expect it to be loud after 6 PM with the business crowd coming in to hang out. Upbeat and happy atmosphere. I've been here twice now, this time I had the blackened chicken and it met my expectations. This is a great place to have lunch as well, their lunch menu works for budgets. Nice to see service and food served in a timely manner when they were as busy as they were. I don't think I can put this up there as a high quality restaurant and dining experience, but it is good - and it is definitely worth trying out of you like your Cajun food!

1  Thank SnorkellingJeff
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We went on a Friday evening and there was about a 30-minute wait for a table. It's a great space, with New Orleans murals and an original brick wall, and an energetic noisy atmosphere. Unfortunately we got a blast of cold air at our table every time the front door opened. The hush puppies were good, and I had a half dozen raw oysters which were very fresh, but also very small and expensive. My seafood Creole was OK, but the Creole sauce was a bit pasty and the rice overcooked and unsalted. My partner's muffaletta was fishy-tasting and inedible, due to the overpowering flavour of the anchovies in the olive salad. (One more gripe, which applies to a lot of restaurants: is it really necessary to charge $9 for a small glass of wine that is $12 a bottle retail?) So, overall, our meal here was kind of a mixed bag.

2  Thank voyageur08
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We had lunch with friends on a Saturday. I was immediately impressed by the decor and vibe of the place, very fun atmosphere. Servers were attentive and friendly. I had the gumbo which was quite good (a meal on its own for small eaters), and the jambalaya which was just ok (pretty bland for a Cajun restaurant!). We also tried the catfish special, which was very yummy, but better suited to an appetizer as it was cooked in a sweet sauce which got to be a bit too much sweet flavour by the end. So overall the food was good but not great.
I would recommend this restaurant for the experience, it's a good place to take out of town guests as I hear they have bands that play on the weekends. Book ahead and bring a group for the "boil" where they literally dump the seafood on your table. I haven't tried it but I heard it's fun.

2  Thank ClaireandJames