“Fantastic Food and Excellent Service”
Review of The Hollows

The Hollows
Ranked #113 of 684 Restaurants in Saskatoon
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Banff, Canada
“Fantastic Food and Excellent Service”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Everything we tried was amazing. We started with the Cauliflower soup which everyone in my family enjoyed and 2 liver cleanser juice shots that were surprisingly quite filling. My mom and dad and I had the Beetroot salad, Butternut squash ravioli and a skirt steak. Our food came out quite quickly and at first I was a little worried because the portions weren't that big but because the food is so fresh we were stuffed full before we had even finished our plates. Overall it was a excellent dining experience. Cant wait to go back

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank VLMW

Canmore, Canada
“Wonderful! Interesting!”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Interesting place... and a bold move for the proprietors... who would have thunk that a fantastic little place could be stuck in an old worn-out Chinese place? It just wasn't on our radar - until last night. Some friends suggested the place - we'd never heard of it (and, we're locals). Among the 4 us, we created out own version of a tasting menu. I would highly recommend it. All appy's were excellent, main dishes were excellent, and the desserts were excellent. Wow. You don't get that from me very often. I would highly recommend anything on the menu. Its a short menu, but the kitchen does it all exceptionally well. Now, the downside, the old Golden Dragon just isn't much to look at - or sit in. But, hey.. if you're young and terminally hip... you couldn't do better. Well done Hollows! Now, about those chairs and wallpaper....

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Roger P
Saskatoon, Canada
“I wish they were somewhere else!”
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

I like the poutine a lot and the truffle mayo is the best I've ever had. I just have a hard time paying $14 for a breakfast poutine in a tiny bowl. The decor is pretty yucky too. Wish they'd get some dishes that aren't old Golden Dragon ones.
Also I don't mind paying lots for value but the building isn't even nice and all the stuff in there looks 2nd hand.
We will be back for the food for a treat

• Visited June 2013
Edmonton, Canada
“S'toon ends our trip with a shot of excellence”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Each time we had a meal in Saskatoon during this shot trip, something was missing (in the case of Duck Duck Goose...it was the food...not tapas per se...more like a seriesof really good amuse bouche!). We unintentionally saved the best for last.

Décor...well, its an unmodified low end Chinese chic. Old, dirty, ugly and not quite interesting enough to really work. But this is a restaurant not a model home and they excel at what every restaurant should excel at, the food. each one of our six dishes, three course for the two of us were excellent and unique. Starting with the cold tomato watermelon soup with fresh horseradish...who puts watermelon in cold tomato soup (aka gazpacho)...well after this meal...I do. Superb deep flavours, perfect balance between a bit of savoury and a bit of sweet. the kale salad was pronounced the best salad in a long time.

There are very few mains to choose from and flat iron steak (by whatever name it goes) is a tough act for most kitchens...literally. I expressed my worry to the server who assured me this was not a tough steak...and was she bang on...one of the best flat irons I have ever eaten. tender, flavourful, generous portions with wild mushrooms. I could have done without the carrots and carrot puree, but that was my only issue.

The sable fish/black cod...a staple in our house...over cannellini beans was perfect. It was a generous portion of fish and the flavours around it rocked.

Desert did not disappoint either. Butterscotch pot de crème and a chocolate desert (called just that I think) were flawless. The right size and sweetness.

The service was friendly and familiar. The food was haute cuisine but without any pretense.

Yeah the area is sketchy, but this is Saskatoon. After a week in the Tenderloin district in an Francisco, I noticed nothing.

Saskatoon...you are very fortunate to have these chefs in our midst. awesome all round.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank ChillyAlbertans
Coquitlam, BC
“Everything a restaurant should be and more”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Amazing food and drinks, sustainable and local food, presentation is the best I've ever seen. We came for a special occassion with friends and family that we wanted to impress and The Hollows did not disappoint. Our group included meatatarians, vegans and vegetarians and each taste was catered to. This is food for foodies, no doubt about it. One of the best things about this restaurant, aside from the food and beverages is the fact that the Owners saved the decor and look of the retro Golden Dragon. So nice that the place wasn't gutted and all that history and charm wasn't lost.

• Visited July 2013