“Excellent Stay!”

Comfort Suites Saskatoon
Ranked #8 of 41 Hotels in Saskatoon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is very clean and rooms are comfortable. The pool/hot tub area was always clean and towels plentiful. We thought the breakfast was average, but the fresh coffee and basket of apples available in the lobby were a plus. The location is quite far from shopping, but walking distance to the Credit Union Centre making it perfect for concert goers. The Tim Hortons just up the block is awesome! I would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank CherB84
GM-CS_SASK, General Manager at Comfort Suites Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Hello CherB84 and thank you for posting such a great review. The juicy apples first thing in the morning sure are scrumptious aren't they! Please come back and visit again soon!

Reviewed April 14, 2014

New, fairly clean hotel. Nice staff. We mostly liked our room but there was dust and hair behind the bathroom door. The elevator floors were very in need of a good cleaning.We unfortunately booked the weekend the hockey teams were there. They ran and played hockey in the hall. They slammed doors and hollered and this went later into the evening.
The hotel said they had run out of regular coffee for the room so we only ever had decaf. The downstairs coffee bar was out of coffee and hot chocolate. The air conditioner was stuck on one temperature. I would recommend a room away from the truck stop side. The lobby has a strong smell of chlorine.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from sports teams
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
GM-CS_SASK, General Manager at Comfort Suites Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Hello JudSh and thank you for taking the time to post your review on here. I am so sorry that your expectations were not met by us and the mention you make of the cleanliness issues are absolutely unacceptable by any means. I have shared your feedback with our housekeeping team members as well as with our head housekeeper to ensure these issues are addressed and do not occur again. My apologies once again.

We are a popular hotel for weekend sports teams (as I think most hotels in the city are!) and so yes, we are busy - especially on the weekends. I'm sorry if you felt the teams were out of control - we do request that teams do not play their sport in the hallways and I'm sorry you were disturbed by that. The smell of chlorine is due to a couple of factors - mainly the fact that the pool is just off of the lobby and a also as the door - when so busy - is being opened and closed perhaps more frequently than in the week?

Overall, you do seem to have enjoyed your stay and again, I thank you for posting your review here. We look forward to welcoming you back in the city soon,

Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Great new hotel, pool, hot tub and waterslide but be warned the waterslide is only open in the evenings. Free hot breakfast, small commissary for snacks and drinks, no need to bring pocket change. Located near a large truck stop and right nearby the Credit Union center so has potential to be very busy and noisy, could hear truck back-up alarms at check-in, but seemed quiet during night.
There was a choice of soft or firm pillows on the bed, plenty of space in the room and the all important t.v. channel guide that many hotels forget.
The only downsides were the air unit under the window was noisy all night, like a constant rattle and the bed was fairly firm, but that's a personal choice.
Overall would recommend this hotel and would definitely stay again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
GM-CS_SASK, General Manager at Comfort Suites Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Hello Derek L - thank you for taking the time to post your review here following your recent stay. We are always very pleased to hear when guests enjoy their stay so much and appreciate all the feedback we receive. I wanted to just clarify our water-slide opening hours. Officially, we have it open from 3pm to 10pm on Friday; 8am - 10pm Saturday and 8am - 12noon Sunday. The reason we have limited hours is that Saskatchewan Ministry of Health Guidelines dictate that as our water slide empties into a pool area rather than into a "run-off lane", we need to have a pool attendant situated at the base of the water slide for the entire time we have it open. Sadly this guideline was not in place when we opened the hotel and so we have had to make accommodations for this new law. We open the slide when the majority of families are checked in and using it. However, we will always try our very best to ensure that we have another fully qualified employee to watch the water-slide outside of those hours. Unfortunately, it is not always possible hence the reason it isn't advertised that way. We try our very best as I said, but on occasions with staff shortages it isn't always available outside of the advertised hours.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to be able to welcome you back here in the very near future

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Lovely hotel - great location, right next to the Credit Union Center. It was very clean. There were 2 queen beds, then a small partition, and a pull-out sofa. The TV was on a swivel so it could be seen by people on either side of the room.
The one strange thing is the closet was at the far end of the room, not by the door from the hallway, but no big deal.
Excellent breakfast options.
We could not get the heater/ac unit to work - it was constantly on, at one temperature. We eventually had to unplug it from the wall. The lady from the front desk wasn't able to get it to work either.
Pool was good, but the slide isn't open all the time.
Fitness center needs a fan in there, it gets very warm. Also, the treadmill stopped - completely without warning (the stopcord wasn't touched). Very unnerving to get thrown off !
In spite of the minor irritations, we would totally stay here again. In fact, we tried to book a room for a weekend in June, and were told they were completely booked already!

Room Tip: Excellent choice for a family.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
GM-CS_SASK, General Manager at Comfort Suites Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Hello rtch03 and thank you for taking the time to post a review here. I am so sorry to hear about the PTAC unit not working properly. As most of the "screen names" are not people's actual names, I am unable to determine which room you were in by looking at your profile, but I certainly have got our Maintenenace Department double checking all units. You comments regarding the the treadmill worry me and as soon as I read your review, I double checked it myself as this is the first time we had heard of this problem. It definitely is working correctly right now, so again, I am so sorry that you encountered the issue that you did and welcome any further feedback you are able to give me over this. In the Fitness Centre, there is a fan and AC unit that is controlled by the timer on the wall as you walk in so I'm not sure if perhaps you were just unaware of that, but that does cool the room down nicely.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back at Saskatoon's newest hotel in the not too distant future!

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Our hockey team from Alberta (in Saskatoon for a tournament) stayed at the Comfort Suites in March and I can't say enough about the service we received and the rooms. Group bookings can get complicated and often a number of changes are needed - Sally, the General Manager, was absolutely wonderful to deal with - so accommodating and patient - her customer service and that of all her staff we dealt with during our stay was superb! The rooms were large and very clean, with a great layout! And the beds were a pleasant surprise - really comfortable. I have stayed in many, many hotels of all description, and I would highly recommend the Comfort Suites for group bookings or even just a family stay. Thanks Sally and staff for making our very busy weekend (with our last minute schedule changes) so enjoyable and easy to manage. :)

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
GM-CS_SASK, General Manager at Comfort Suites Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Hello L S and thank you so much for posting such a wonderful review! We gather around our computers every day to monitor these sites and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to read all the feedback we receive - especially when it's so positive. It's really nice to hear that not only did you enjoy your stay with the team, but also that everything went to plan. We are hugely popular for sports teams and we love having them to stay. Lots of our team members are "sports mums and dads" too so we know all about planning tournaments stays and we are so happy that we could accommodate all of your needs. We look forward to welcoming you back on future stays!

Reviewed April 7, 2014

We chose this hotel as we were attending a concert at CU place. Check in was fine it was when we got to our room. There was a high pitch squeal coming from somewhere so the maintenance guy came up and opened the window and it stopped he told me to keep the window open until the wind dies down... it was cold in Saskatoon on that day. I opened one of the drawers to find used lady products wrapped in a towel and when I went to use the shower it had black hair all over the tub, the taps, the tub surround and shower curtain.

While I was sitting on the couch I could see something in the corner of the room it was a dirty sock that someone left behind. Makes me wonder how long that had been there.

The room above us had children who ran and jumped constantly and were very loud as were other guests in the hotel.

I would probably not stay there again as there is another hotel in the vicinity I might give them a whirl next time.

Room Tip: Before checking in ask to see your room first to make sure it has been cleaned properly
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Hello Missylittle and thank you so much for taking the time to post a review here on this forum. It certainly is the place to review people's experiences and opinions and works as well for hotel management as it does for future travelers. So we certainly do appreciate the time guests take to post a review. I wanted to address the points you raised in your review and apologize for the standards that you had encountered. Certainly not "up to our usual standard" and again, I apologize for this. I have had the folks from our maintenance department check over the PTAC unit in your room and we are currently unsure what caused the "whistling" sound you heard but will definitely have it rectified. In the part you mention about "used lady products" - I feel it only fair to mention that - again while absolutely unacceptable to find anything left behind by a previous guest - this was in fact a make up remover wipe inside a washcloth and not anything else (some readers may perceive "used lady product" as a sanitary item of sorts and we both know this was not the case).

You mentioned that you could hear noisy children in the hotel. When you were here, we had 3 concerts on 3 consecutive nights at the adjacent Credit Union Centre so - yes, definitely a very busy week for us! We are definitely a popular destination for families also and I do apologize that you were disturbed by that. It's always nice to know at the time rather than afterwards of issues that prevent guests from having their most enjoyable stay - as they say, hindsight is 20/20. Sadly, without knowing exactly who or which room had the noisy children, there is nothing that can be done now. At the time, we happily would have mentioned to the family with the children to be watchful with their noise levels - of course assuming this was after our "quiet time" had started.

In closing, thank you once again for taking the time to bring these issues to our attention and our apologies that we did not meet or exceed your expectations during this stay, however, we do sincerely hope that you will give us a second chance to prove that the issues you encountered are not our usual standards

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Stayed at this hotel because we were attending a concert at the CU centre. Check-in went fine and arrived at our room with no problem with our bags - left for supper and to attend the concert. We came to our room to relax and pulled out the chair to find a ticket on the seat to the previous night's show (the carpet could not have been vacuumed under the desk or it would have been noticed). Went to make a cup of coffee only to find every stryo cup had a hole poked right thru the bottom. One bed had the skirt tucked in under the bottom sheet (sheets very wrinkled and lamps very dusty). When you see all these things, you wonder if the cleaner even bothered to check the bedding and it makes you nervous. One shampoo, one conditioner and one lotion for 3 people to share (asked at the desk for more and were informed there was plenty in the room) The room was pleasant enough and quite spacious and the beds were very comfortable. We will stay there again but only because it is close the CU centre not because the service is so great. I read the reviews and wonder if I am staying in the same hotel as the people that are raving it's glory.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
GM-CS_SASK, General Manager at Comfort Suites Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear 2012L-C - thank you so much for posting your review here. It is a great forum for experiences and opinions to be posted and reviewed by future travelers as well as hotel management to see feedback. Of course, we would love to have the feedback when the guests are still in the hotel so that we can rectify any issues there and then but we realize that not all travelers like to say something at the time. Either way - thank you for taking the time to let us know the things that were "amiss" here. Firstly, please let me apologize about the paper left under the desk, dusty lamps and holes in the coffee cups - absolutely not our usual standards and I will definitely be sharing this feedback with the entire housekeeping team. Please rest assured that linens are changed each and every time a guest checks out and with 3 concerts on 3 consecutive nights last week, we had over 90% of the hotel check out each day! I believe that my ladies in housekeeping may have been "rushing" a bit - hence the bed-skirt tucked under the mattress as they tucked the sheets in. Not an excuse and certainly not a standard but something that I will be discussing with them (a quick parting glance over their shoulder as they left the room would have caught their eye!)

We certainly do once again thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back for many future stays as you are absolutely right - we are adjacent to the CUC arena as you cannot stay any closer!