“We will certainly return!”

Comfort Suites Saskatoon
Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in Saskatoon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Clean, spacious rooms, friendly staff, great complementary hot breakfast, nice pool and water slide, reasonably priced... Loved this hotel! We will definitely return next time we go through Saskatoon!

• Stayed: December 2013
GM-CS_SASK, General Manager at Comfort Suites Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Hello Eastonsmomma and thank you for posting such a wonderful review on here. It sounds like you were able to take advantage of all of the wonderful facilities available here!

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon to your "home away from home".

Reviewed January 6, 2014

This is by far one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. I did my research, looked at pictures, read reviews, and called the hotel directly to book my room (got a little bit of a discount by doing so!) but all of that still did not prepare me for the feeling I got walking into the room.
This is a brand-new hotel, just over a year old, and the owners did a wonderful job. Often the true test of a hotel is whether or not you feel comfortable taking your shoes off when you enter (does it show that I'm somewhat of a budget traveler ordinarily?), but in this case you walk in and there is an actual entrance, a foyer if you will, with a hard wood floor before the room (and carpet) begins. You'll feel bad for keeping your shoes on, as the room is beautiful and spotless.
The bed was superb, two rows of pillows (one firm, one soft) were perfect, the layout of the room and the decor and furniture were all top-notch.
There were some sports teams staying in the hotel and while at first I was nervous about how much sleep I'd get, it was a non-issue. Either it was a good group of parents and kids, or the hotel made it clear that the night time was quiet time - in either case I did not hear so much as a peep when it came time for me to turn off the lights and go to sleep... And I slept more soundly than I have in a long time!
There are lots of lamps around the room, and on either side of the bed, there's a bendable spotlight which was great for reading. A really cool feature that I've never seen before! The in-room safe was a little strange to operate, but I eventually figured it out, and breakfast in the morning was well stocked and the room was clean (I somehow missed the rush of the aforementioned sports teams which was lucky, as the room is not overly huge).
The front desk staff were all great, I even met one who is originally from my home town, and we shared some stories and laughs.
You cannot stay any closer to the Credit Union Centre than here, and if I ever find myself in Saskatoon again (hopefully not in January next time), I will definitely stay here again. The price was exceptionally reasonable compared to the other hotels in the area (only slightly higher than the Motel 6 next door!), and I felt that I definitely got my money's worth.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Hello Alienkind and thank you for posting such a "down to earth" review here! It's great to see that travellers are using this site to make their travel decisions and then posting about their experiences afterwards. Nice also to see that you also called us directly to verify exactly how we can best match your needs to the various rooms types, services and rates that we offer.
The entrance way to all rooms certainly is a great "comfort" and we have had lots of compliments about that - as well as the in-room safe. I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the owner - who incidently is building a new property in Regina scheduled to open in the Fall of this year - so whenever we can welcome you back down to earth again, be sure to check out that one too!

So thank you again for your post and it should also be noted that we can also accommodate the "humankind" and "pet-kind" here too :)

Reviewed January 4, 2014

First off, this hotel is new and modern. The staff are welcoming, as is the manager ;) it's suitable for people traveling alone or with families. Best rate is through hotel directly - they offer a great rate for CAA members!!!!!

One of the best features, is the large room. We have 3 children ages 11-6, and everyone had a comfortable bed. There is a nice section with a pull-out couch, which is nice for watching tv or socializing. A nice touch, was the frosted glass patrician to give a bit of privacy between the couch and beds. There is ample outlets (and USB port) to charge devices. Plus the pillows are awesome. You get 2 firm, and 2 soft! I am a fussy pillow person :)

On the down side- and this is big for those of us with kids- is the inconsistent waterside schedule!
Be VERY aware that you can only use the waterside after 3pm on Friday. You will not have the use of the slide in the morning if you stayed over on Thursday night! They say the slide is open Fri-Sun.... But within that time frame, more restrictions exist. I suggest calling first, and getting a very detailed slide schedule! I phoned, as recommended, but was not informed about the gaps ie) Friday am!

I did speak with the lovely British manager and informed her of my concerns. She was receptive to my concerns and stated it will be discussed with owners. This waterside issue is due to a new provincial legislation (Saskatchewan), that any waterside that empties into the pool, rather than a separate area, must be supervised at all times by staff with first aid etc.

Overall a great stay, though.

Breakfast is awesome :)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
GM-CS_SASK, General Manager at Comfort Suites Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Dear swandive_pixie - thank you for posting your latest review. I see from your profile that you are not only a seasoned traveller but also a seasoned "reviewer". I know the reviews are appreciated by us and I'm sure they are appreciated by other travellers also.

Glad to hear that everyone was comfortable in the rooms - they are HUGE aren't they!

Thank you for posting your comments about the waterslide also. It was a pleasure for me to able to explain to you about the new regulations from the Saskatchewan Ministry of Health and I'm glad you have also taken to post your comments on here as this forum is so widely reviewed by travellers.

Whilst we do have specific hours for the waterslide on our own website, due to limited spacing available on our Brand websites, we have wording about "limited hours, please call hotels for specific hours". I am so sorry that you were not given the specific hours when you called. As a general rule of thumb, it is something that we do all the time but if we ommited this from our conversation, I do apologise.

I hope that when you are back in Saskatoon, we are able to welcome you back.

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

My family an I stayed over the Christmas holiday and was treated like family, in a good way, Found the hotel a little too pet friendly. I am very allergic, and had a hard time not running into pets in the hotel.

The Hot breakfast was appreciated and enjoyed by all. Great location and easy to find. Will definitely come back.

thanks Lindsay and staff and Merry Christmas.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
GM-CS_SASK, General Manager at Comfort Suites Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2014

Hello memxp424 - and thank you for posting your review. I especially love to see reviews which mention one of our Team Members by name - it's a great pleasure for me to share these reviews!

Yes, we are a pet friendly hotel and I think the "hotels for pets" feeling came about as many people were staying with us for the holidays or travleing to families with their pet for the holidays - that week was certainly the most pets we have ahd in the hotel at one time! I wasn't sure if you were aware that we do not permit pets on our 4th floor so whenever you return, please do request a 4th floor room!

Happy New Year to you and we'll look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed December 28, 2013

PROS: Was pleasantly surprised at how beautiful, spacious and comfortable the rooms are!
With a family of 5, it is hard to find a hotel that accommodates us all and the room with 2 queens and a pullout couch did it! It was nice to have a "sitting area" to relax with instead of having to try to get comfortable sitting on the beds while visiting.
CONS: The tiled floors in the bathroom are frightfully chilly on bare feet in the winter though!!!
When the clock struck 9:30am, we immediately felt unwanted and forced out of the beautiful breakfast room. The doors were closed and the TV was shut off. We would have loved to lounge awhile longer before moving on for the day without the immediate feeling of the need to get out.
WATERSLIDE WARNING: I wish we would have been notified that the waterslide ONLY RUNS ON CERTAIN DAYS. We have never encountered or even have heard of such a thing. I have been back to the website and I can't find any information about this. We booked a room there for 2 reasons - the big accommodating room and the waterslide. Very disappointing for the kids. We weren't the only ones disappointed. At one point, we counted 17 kids in the pool at once. The girl at the front desk told us it was because the hotel didn't have a pool attendant....since when is there a pool attendant in a hotel anyways???

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bonnie B

Hello Bonnie B and thank you for posting your review. It's always great to have reviews, even better to have positive reviews, but it's superb when we recevived such detailed reviews! So thank you again. The double queen rooms are very popular with families as they do offer lots of sleeping space and the hide-a-beds are very easy to open and close so that's great to see that everyone was accommodated!

I am so sorry that you felt your were rushed out of breakfast. It is our practise to offer breakfast until 9.30am on weekdays and 10am on weekends and Holidays and that is when the doors are closed from the Lobby entrance. It certainly doesn't mean that you needed to leave as we want you to enjoy the full offerings at your leisure - and I'm glad to learn that you did! I'm sorry that the TV was turned off. It may have been a "force of habit" without our Breakfast Attendant fully realising what she was doing so I am sorry that she did that. For future reference - it's absolutely fine to turn the TV back on and switch channels as and when you wish - we have the TV remote in teh Breakfast Room at all times.

The issues with the waterslide. Hmmm - not the first time we've heard this sadly. We do advertise on our 3 websites (www.choicehotels.ca/cn962; www.choicehotels.com/cn962 and www.comfortsuitessaskatoon.com) that we have limited hours and also that we may be able to open the slide at times outside of these hours. It was my pleasure to be able to open it for you for the hour you requested. You mentioned you had never heard of such a rule and asked since when do hotels have pool attendants. I had explained to other members in your party - the new regulation came into effect on January 1st 2013 and is only in Saskatchewan, so we have had a Pool Attendant in place since we opened. As explained, this regulation is only in effect with pools whereby a waterslide empties into the pools itself rather than a runaway lane. With the majority of guests using the slide only on the weekend, that is why it is manned at that time and any times in between, we certainly are more than happy to accommodate as and when we can - as we did with your group.

So again, thank you for such detailed feedback and I hope we are able to welcome you and your families back here again soon

Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

I'm writing this review, 3:30am in hopes of saving someone from the torture of trying to get a night's rest in this hotel. As you can see from my profile I've stayed in many hotels around the world. I rarely write a bad review but I guess there's always a first time.
I'll start out with positive things first. It's a lovely, new hotel. It was very clean, spacious, and the beds were super comfortable. Check in was fast and efficient and the front desk guy was a hoot.
We chose to stay overnight in Saskatoon to break up a long journey and really needed a good night's sleep. What we got instead was a night of screeching and whining from the room heater. By 1:30am we'd had enough and decided to call front desk to see if we could move. The only other room was on 3rd floor and after a quick check the heater there was making the exact same noise! So we suffered through it, making use of all the extra pillows to try and muffle the sound. I just got up to try and make a bed in the tub and noticed the bill for the room was slid under our door. Nearly $200 for a room we couldn't sleep in. I'm so tired right now I feel like our family traveling in this condition is really dangerous! If we die due to driver exhaustion I wouldn't hesitate to place blame on this hotel. A new hotel like this shouldn't have these kind of problems no matter what the weather is like outside.
I really hate to leave a bad review like this but in this case it is appropriate.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank gardengorilla
GM-CS_SASK, General Manager at Comfort Suites Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Hello gardengorilla and thank you for taking the time to post your review on here. I do appreciate your thorough feedback and am truly sorry to hear that you were not fully rested after your stay with us. I did notice in your profile - as you mentioned - that you post reviews regularly as you will also have seen that the majority of our feedback is positive so as I understand your frustrations, you will understand by having read the reviews on our hotel, that the noise you encountered is not usual. We have had our maintenance team check the PTAC unit in the room you occupied (as is done on a regular basis) and whilst there appears to be nothing wrong with the unit itself, I believe the noise you encountered was due - in part - to the wind. Whilst it is not a daily occurance, it is also not the first time we have heard of this screeching noise and in particular, when the winds are high. Unfortunately with our hotel being fairly exposed off of the highway here in the Prairies, the weather conditions are out of our control. What we can do is to offer as much comfort as we possibly can in this situation and I apologise that more was not done by our team to ensure you were better rested to continue your journey.

I do hope that you will return to visit with us again in the near future and in the meantime, we'd like to wish you a very Happy New Year

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Stayed one night and checked in ... first thing my wife said after walking in the room is, " it smells so new" .. Had a room with a king bed and the room was great... the pool and water slide are great for young children and the breakfast in the morning was pretty standard but fresh and fresh hot coffee . .. recommended!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Hello Kris and thank you so much for such a great review. It's a great way to start the New Year, sharing this with my team - so thank you!!

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!