“A Very Pleasant Stay”

Ranked #17 of 39 Hotels in Saskatoon
Thunder Bay
“A Very Pleasant Stay”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed here two nights. I would have paid $140.00 per night, so I will base my review on that rate.
This is a very nice hotel. The entrance lobby is huge, with a high ceiling. There is an adjacent bar and restaurant, all very modern looking and non-cluttered. I was able to try the restaurant for the breakfast buffet one morning, and it was quite good.There is a pool and hot tub, which I was able to utilize and both were very good. The room we stayed in had two queen beds. The room was well appointed and spacious. I have absolutely no complaints with the room, or really with his hotel at all. The above ground secured parking was free (I believe for the months of July and August), so that was an added bonus. I used Priority Club points to partially pay for my stay. So what would entice me to give this property a '5' rating? A nightly price of $110.00.
That being said, you won't be disappointed if you stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brent A, Regional Director of Sales and Marketing at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Saskatoon Downtown, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thanks, The Madman ThunderBay for giving us some feedback on your recent stay. Its great to see you were able to use many of the hotels amenities and enjoyed a bit of activity during your time here. There's nothing better than coming to a new city and being able to eat well, sleep well and enjoy all that city has to offer. Thanks for letting the Holiday Inn Saskatoon Downtown be apart of it.

Brent Andrew
Regional Director of Sales and Marketing - P.R. Hotels Ltd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Korean first
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed August 17, 2013

One of the best hotels I have stayed in! The decor was very nice and extremely modern. The parking was free and attached to the hotel unlike a lot of hotel parking which belongs to impark. The business centre has high end Imacs instead of the basic window computers. We stayed on the 11th floor in a penthouse suite with a pool table and kitchenette. This is an extremely nice room and kept us busy all night. My only disappointment was with some of the finishing s being loose and the shower stall being stained with rust spots. If this room didn't cost so much though those issues wouldn't even be a worry. If we ever stay in Saskatoon again we will definitely stay here! I almost forgot to mention it is pet friendly and you are not limited to a certain type of room or floor.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brent A, Regional Director of Sales and Marketing - P.R. Hotels Ltd at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Saskatoon Downtown, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thanks AndrewShanda for your "WOW" comments from your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Saskatoon Downtown. We love to hear and feel those sediments echoing through our new "Hub at Holiday Inn" open concept. Many of the modern, upscale features in our new property are a result of feedback shared by guests like yourself. Travel habits will continue to evolve and the bar has been raised on what travellers are expecting in their experiences. We at the Holiday Inn and especially the Holiday Inn Saskatoon Downtown love your feedback, good and bad, and use this feedback to improve everyday. The lights are on, pillows are fluffed. See you again when your back in sunny Saskatoon.

Brent Andrew
Regional Director of Sales and Marketing - P.R. Hotels Ltd
Alberta
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Liked the decor, and the sofa was comfortable. Too bad you could not see the TV very well from the sofa. In the King rooms I would suggest moving the TV to the current desk location, and put the luggage holder at the foot of the bed.

The person who design this room must of had very long arms, since the toilet paper holder is a LONG way from your seat on the toilet. Remember to get the towel moved before you shower since it is in that vanity on the other side of the bathroom.

The AC unit is very noisy, and very close to the king bed. Had to turn the room temp down, since the bed had a duvet that was heavier that required for summer weather, but did not enjoy the air velocity over the bed.

Liked the divider between the sofa and bed.

There is a summer special that gives you free parking right now, but since I didn't see it on the internet so I don't know how long it will be in place.

Breakfast is not included in the standard room rate. The selection is OK, not great, but they do have a place to order omelettes or eggs Benedict. The bread is the standard mushy commercial loaf. Lots of carbs and sugar. Coffee is OK, but not great. Starbucks is a short walk away.

Parking is above ground and secured.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to get a better view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank travelabit
Winnipeg
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Hotel is brand new and very nice. Parking is available in an enclosed lot next to the hotel. Rooms are very nice. Service is excellent.

I would definitely stay here again on my next trip to Saskatoon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Brent A, Regional Director of Sales and Marketing at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Saskatoon Downtown, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
4 out of 5....that's great to hear! Its nice to know that our team of Cast Members made your stay a great one. I will definitely share your comments with each and everyone of them. Thank you for your comments, travel safe and we hope to see you again when your back in sunny Saskatoon.

Brent
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while in Saskatoon on business. I used some of my points to offset the cost of the room. The hotel is very new and easy to access. Parking was free this summer, but is normally $15/night. It is indoors and secured which is a plus in downtown Saskatoon. The lobby area has a 24 hour market and free computers/access. Elevator access is room key locked for extra safety. The room was beautiful and large. It had a small food station with a microwave and mini-fridge. The bed and furnishings were comfortable. They even had high power reading lights at the bedside which is a new feature in hotels. The bathroom was large and spacious. TV had both regular and HD channels available. Wireless internet was free, again a very different thing for a downtown hotel. The pool and hot tub were small but served the purpose. There was also a small fitness area. The only down part was the food at supper. There is no room service, but you can order a meal and then pick it up and bring it to your room. The supper wasn't that great for the price I paid ($27) - this would be similar to having room service with a charge. However, the breakfast in the morning made up for it. For $15, you had a choice of breakfast buffet items or ready-made omlettes and eggs. I'm not sure if this is a family-oriented hotel, but definitely gets high marks for business. I would recommend this hotel if you want to stay in downtown Saskatoon.

Room Tip: The parkade is located on floors 2-4 and provides a secure entrance to the hotel. Make sure you have...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank PsychRN12
Claude M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Saskatoon Downtown, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Claude Marcotte, General Manager, Holiday Inn Saskatoon

Thank you for your complimentary review of the hotel during your business trip to Saskatoon. I was pleased that you had an opportunity to view the main level of the hotel that provides an open concept to the business and leisure traveler. I was pleased that your guest room met your expectations and more. Our Housekeeping staff take great pride in the upkeep of the guest rooms. The safety of our guests is most important to us as witnessed by your stay. As for the Food and Beverage areas, I was pleased that breakfast made up for the in-room dinner that you had. The hotel will be introducing an in-room service in the very near future. Our recreation area may be small yet we do cater to the leisure market and provide meal incentives for children under the age of 12 years when accompanied by an adult in the restaurant.
We at the Holiday Inn Saskatoon look forward to serving you once again on your next visit to Saskatoon!
Prince Albert, SK
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights at the start of July. This is a fairly new hotel, conveniently located in downtown Saskatoon. The lobby is very nice, modern, and bright, and they have iMac computers in the lobby as well for guest use. The front desk staff are always friendly, efficient and helpful. This time they were offering fee parking which was a nice bonus, normally the parking is an additional $15 charge (I don't mind, though, it is nice having secure parking and you need a guest room key in order to use it). The elevators off the parkade take you right up to the rooms, and we never had to wait for the elevator for very long, which was also nice! The rooms are excellent, very modern and well-appointed, the beds are awesome and tons of pillows to choose from. I should also mention that the city was in the midst of a wicked hot streak and the air conditioning in the hotel was excellent! We found the a/c unit a bit noisy at night but once you got used to it it wasn't bad. The bathroom is amazing, a large soaker tub with a separate (huge) walk-in shower, 2 sinks and the toilet in it's own little room with a door, and the complimentary amenities are very nice as well! Our room also came with a fridge, microwave and had a little sink area with some disposable bowls, plates and cutlery. We had booked a package so we had breakfast included (back to the front desk staff - the check-in girl had only given us one breakfast voucher so when we mentioned it to another girl the next day she gave us another one with no issue!) - the hotel's restaurant is very good and lots of selection for breakfast, with varying cost depending which option you select. We also ate supper the one night, which was excellent, and checked out the attached lounge, which is also quite nice. The hotel is right across from the Midtown mall and walking distance to all of downtown Saskatoon - lots of restaurants to choose from! Overall an excellent hotel, with prices comparative to other downtown hotels. We would definitely stay again and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Saskatoon!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Advisor21
Claude Marcotte, General Manager, Holiday Inn Saskatoon

Thank you for your positive review of the Holiday Inn Saskatoon during your 2 nights stay. I was pleased to read that the services and amenities provided to you met to your expectations. Our guests room are well appointed and are cared for by a Housekeeping staff who take great pride in their work. The hotel even offers a choice of four pillows so that our guests can enjoy a good night's sleep. Our breakfast does provide our guests with a choice of three areas to choose from; the cold, hot and made to order omelets. Our lunch and dinner menu selection also provides a varied selection to choose from and was pleased to read that dinner was excellent. And as noted, we are right across from the Midtown Mall and walking distances to other entertainment venues in Saskatoon.
We look forward to serving you again on your next visit to Saskatoon!
Calgary Canada
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights on a business trip in late June 2013. This is a new hotel and so it is very nicely outfitted. The front entrance way and lobby are impressive and it is easy to pull your vehicle right up to the doors under the portico to check in. There is no doorman or welcome person that I could see, but this is a Holiday Inn after all. The fact I was looking for one may indicate just how swanky that front entrance looks.

Check-In was easy and the young front desk person was cheerful and helpful. Check-in was problem free. I happily received a no-charge upgrade to a King corner room- unexpected as the Platinum Priority Club upgrades among IHL facilities seem spotty at best most of the time, but very welcome.

The room was indeed king-sized, and the bathroom was absolutely huge-- nearly the size of some New York hotel rooms. I am sorry this was just a business trip. My wife would have loved the soaker tub, which went unused in favour of the very roomy walk-in shower. A separate WC room within the bathroom and dual sinks would have made travel with my spouse even better.

The bed was firm and offered a multitude of pillows (always way too many for me to even think about) of varying degrees of firmness, etc. HD Flat Screen TV was a nice touch, although surprisingly there was no in-room movie service which I would not have used anyway, but most hotels offer. I only mention it in case it's important to you. There were many channels to choose from on the TV. Wireless Internet worked very well.

The restaurant in the hotel offers a $15 breakfast buffet which was very good the one morning I chose to take it. If you don't want a hot breakfast, they also offer a cold breakfast buffet for less. Food quality seems high. I ate dinner at the smae restaurant one evening and thought it was reasonable and again very good quality. There is a good bar just off the lobby and the bartender was friendly with a good selection of draft beers and other beverage treats.

There is also a market in the lobby offering snacks, frozen meals (these by the way were produced at the restaurant and were excellent-- I had a frozen chili meal heated up in the room microwave one night, and it was surpirse surprise, delicious) coffee and cold drinks.

The hotel's location is very good-- it is close to 2nd Avenue which offers good shopping and restaurants, as well as the Mid-Town mall. There is a cinema with many screens within walking distance, and a YMCA across the street, as well as the Saskatoon auditorium, now called the TCU Center.

I did not check out the pool and fitness facility so I can't speak to that. I saw it and can verify there is one.

Parking is additional. I had a rental car and although parking is very secure within a closed parkade, most guests don't seem to use it. The parkade was never very full and it was easy to find a spot. I liked the fact that you needed a hotel key card to enter the parkade, and there are actual doors that open and close behind you and your vehicle. The parkade elevators take you directly to your room without having to go through the lobby.

I had a couple of shirts sent out the last day I was there and was overcahrged on my bill four times the amount. Instead of the usual express check out I stood in line and waited to get this straightened out. The front desk person was very slow to rectify, attempted to explain why the bill was right and I was wrong, went to find a manager, then came back and rectified, but incorrectly, creating much delay and I was actually late in getting to my business meeting, all over a $32 charge which should have been $8.00. I was very annoyed by this.

However, all in all, this is an excellent property offering very good value.

Room Tip: Corner King rooms have incredibly large baths with walk in showers and soaker tubs.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank chrism623
Claude Marcotte, General Manager, Holiday Inn Saskatoon

Thank you for your comprehensive and complimentary review of your 3 nights stay. I was pleased to read that you had an opportunity to enjoy the services that we offer and that most areas met to your expectations. Meeting our guests expectations through our rooms, food and beverage as well as the safety of our guests are of utmost importance in providing a complete package to either our business or leisure traveler. The inconvenience that you were presented with at checkout should have been been dealt with in a timely manner and please accept my apologies.
Again, thank you for your positive review where very good value is offered and we look forward to serving you on your next trip to Saskatoon!