“good, but a few odd things for a new hotel room”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Saskatoon Downtown
Ranked #17 of 41 Hotels in Saskatoon
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Liked the decor, and the sofa was comfortable. Too bad you could not see the TV very well from the sofa. In the King rooms I would suggest moving the TV to the current desk location, and put the luggage holder at the foot of the bed.

The person who design this room must of had very long arms, since the toilet paper holder is a LONG way from your seat on the toilet. Remember to get the towel moved before you shower since it is in that vanity on the other side of the bathroom.

The AC unit is very noisy, and very close to the king bed. Had to turn the room temp down, since the bed had a duvet that was heavier that required for summer weather, but did not enjoy the air velocity over the bed.

Liked the divider between the sofa and bed.

There is a summer special that gives you free parking right now, but since I didn't see it on the internet so I don't know how long it will be in place.

Breakfast is not included in the standard room rate. The selection is OK, not great, but they do have a place to order omelettes or eggs Benedict. The bread is the standard mushy commercial loaf. Lots of carbs and sugar. Coffee is OK, but not great. Starbucks is a short walk away.

Parking is above ground and secured.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to get a better view
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank travelabit

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Hotel is brand new and very nice. Parking is available in an enclosed lot next to the hotel. Rooms are very nice. Service is excellent.

I would definitely stay here again on my next trip to Saskatoon.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Brent A, Regional Director of Sales and Marketing at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Saskatoon Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

4 out of 5....that's great to hear! Its nice to know that our team of Cast Members made your stay a great one. I will definitely share your comments with each and everyone of them. Thank you for your comments, travel safe and we hope to see you again when your back in sunny Saskatoon.

All the best,

Brent

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while in Saskatoon on business. I used some of my points to offset the cost of the room. The hotel is very new and easy to access. Parking was free this summer, but is normally $15/night. It is indoors and secured which is a plus in downtown Saskatoon. The lobby area has a 24 hour market and free computers/access. Elevator access is room key locked for extra safety. The room was beautiful and large. It had a small food station with a microwave and mini-fridge. The bed and furnishings were comfortable. They even had high power reading lights at the bedside which is a new feature in hotels. The bathroom was large and spacious. TV had both regular and HD channels available. Wireless internet was free, again a very different thing for a downtown hotel. The pool and hot tub were small but served the purpose. There was also a small fitness area. The only down part was the food at supper. There is no room service, but you can order a meal and then pick it up and bring it to your room. The supper wasn't that great for the price I paid ($27) - this would be similar to having room service with a charge. However, the breakfast in the morning made up for it. For $15, you had a choice of breakfast buffet items or ready-made omlettes and eggs. I'm not sure if this is a family-oriented hotel, but definitely gets high marks for business. I would recommend this hotel if you want to stay in downtown Saskatoon.

Room Tip: The parkade is located on floors 2-4 and provides a secure entrance to the hotel. Make sure you have...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank PsychRN12
Claude M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Saskatoon Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Claude Marcotte, General Manager, Holiday Inn Saskatoon

Thank you for your complimentary review of the hotel during your business trip to Saskatoon. I was pleased that you had an opportunity to view the main level of the hotel that provides an open concept to the business and leisure traveler. I was pleased that your guest room met your expectations and more. Our Housekeeping staff take great pride in the upkeep of the guest rooms. The safety of our guests is most important to us as witnessed by your stay. As for the Food and Beverage areas, I was pleased that breakfast made up for the in-room dinner that you had. The hotel will be introducing an in-room service in the very near future. Our recreation area may be small yet we do cater to the leisure market and provide meal incentives for children under the age of 12 years when accompanied by an adult in the restaurant.
We at the Holiday Inn Saskatoon look forward to serving you once again on your next visit to Saskatoon!

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights at the start of July. This is a fairly new hotel, conveniently located in downtown Saskatoon. The lobby is very nice, modern, and bright, and they have iMac computers in the lobby as well for guest use. The front desk staff are always friendly, efficient and helpful. This time they were offering fee parking which was a nice bonus, normally the parking is an additional $15 charge (I don't mind, though, it is nice having secure parking and you need a guest room key in order to use it). The elevators off the parkade take you right up to the rooms, and we never had to wait for the elevator for very long, which was also nice! The rooms are excellent, very modern and well-appointed, the beds are awesome and tons of pillows to choose from. I should also mention that the city was in the midst of a wicked hot streak and the air conditioning in the hotel was excellent! We found the a/c unit a bit noisy at night but once you got used to it it wasn't bad. The bathroom is amazing, a large soaker tub with a separate (huge) walk-in shower, 2 sinks and the toilet in it's own little room with a door, and the complimentary amenities are very nice as well! Our room also came with a fridge, microwave and had a little sink area with some disposable bowls, plates and cutlery. We had booked a package so we had breakfast included (back to the front desk staff - the check-in girl had only given us one breakfast voucher so when we mentioned it to another girl the next day she gave us another one with no issue!) - the hotel's restaurant is very good and lots of selection for breakfast, with varying cost depending which option you select. We also ate supper the one night, which was excellent, and checked out the attached lounge, which is also quite nice. The hotel is right across from the Midtown mall and walking distance to all of downtown Saskatoon - lots of restaurants to choose from! Overall an excellent hotel, with prices comparative to other downtown hotels. We would definitely stay again and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Saskatoon!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Advisor21

Claude Marcotte, General Manager, Holiday Inn Saskatoon

Thank you for your positive review of the Holiday Inn Saskatoon during your 2 nights stay. I was pleased to read that the services and amenities provided to you met to your expectations. Our guests room are well appointed and are cared for by a Housekeeping staff who take great pride in their work. The hotel even offers a choice of four pillows so that our guests can enjoy a good night's sleep. Our breakfast does provide our guests with a choice of three areas to choose from; the cold, hot and made to order omelets. Our lunch and dinner menu selection also provides a varied selection to choose from and was pleased to read that dinner was excellent. And as noted, we are right across from the Midtown Mall and walking distances to other entertainment venues in Saskatoon.
We look forward to serving you again on your next visit to Saskatoon!

Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights on a business trip in late June 2013. This is a new hotel and so it is very nicely outfitted. The front entrance way and lobby are impressive and it is easy to pull your vehicle right up to the doors under the portico to check in. There is no doorman or welcome person that I could see, but this is a Holiday Inn after all. The fact I was looking for one may indicate just how swanky that front entrance looks.

Check-In was easy and the young front desk person was cheerful and helpful. Check-in was problem free. I happily received a no-charge upgrade to a King corner room- unexpected as the Platinum Priority Club upgrades among IHL facilities seem spotty at best most of the time, but very welcome.

The room was indeed king-sized, and the bathroom was absolutely huge-- nearly the size of some New York hotel rooms. I am sorry this was just a business trip. My wife would have loved the soaker tub, which went unused in favour of the very roomy walk-in shower. A separate WC room within the bathroom and dual sinks would have made travel with my spouse even better.

The bed was firm and offered a multitude of pillows (always way too many for me to even think about) of varying degrees of firmness, etc. HD Flat Screen TV was a nice touch, although surprisingly there was no in-room movie service which I would not have used anyway, but most hotels offer. I only mention it in case it's important to you. There were many channels to choose from on the TV. Wireless Internet worked very well.

The restaurant in the hotel offers a $15 breakfast buffet which was very good the one morning I chose to take it. If you don't want a hot breakfast, they also offer a cold breakfast buffet for less. Food quality seems high. I ate dinner at the smae restaurant one evening and thought it was reasonable and again very good quality. There is a good bar just off the lobby and the bartender was friendly with a good selection of draft beers and other beverage treats.

There is also a market in the lobby offering snacks, frozen meals (these by the way were produced at the restaurant and were excellent-- I had a frozen chili meal heated up in the room microwave one night, and it was surpirse surprise, delicious) coffee and cold drinks.

The hotel's location is very good-- it is close to 2nd Avenue which offers good shopping and restaurants, as well as the Mid-Town mall. There is a cinema with many screens within walking distance, and a YMCA across the street, as well as the Saskatoon auditorium, now called the TCU Center.

I did not check out the pool and fitness facility so I can't speak to that. I saw it and can verify there is one.

Parking is additional. I had a rental car and although parking is very secure within a closed parkade, most guests don't seem to use it. The parkade was never very full and it was easy to find a spot. I liked the fact that you needed a hotel key card to enter the parkade, and there are actual doors that open and close behind you and your vehicle. The parkade elevators take you directly to your room without having to go through the lobby.

I had a couple of shirts sent out the last day I was there and was overcahrged on my bill four times the amount. Instead of the usual express check out I stood in line and waited to get this straightened out. The front desk person was very slow to rectify, attempted to explain why the bill was right and I was wrong, went to find a manager, then came back and rectified, but incorrectly, creating much delay and I was actually late in getting to my business meeting, all over a $32 charge which should have been $8.00. I was very annoyed by this.

However, all in all, this is an excellent property offering very good value.

Room Tip: Corner King rooms have incredibly large baths with walk in showers and soaker tubs.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank chrism623

Claude Marcotte, General Manager, Holiday Inn Saskatoon

Thank you for your comprehensive and complimentary review of your 3 nights stay. I was pleased to read that you had an opportunity to enjoy the services that we offer and that most areas met to your expectations. Meeting our guests expectations through our rooms, food and beverage as well as the safety of our guests are of utmost importance in providing a complete package to either our business or leisure traveler. The inconvenience that you were presented with at checkout should have been been dealt with in a timely manner and please accept my apologies.
Again, thank you for your positive review where very good value is offered and we look forward to serving you on your next trip to Saskatoon!

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Stayed two nights. Good food at The Hub. Comfy bed and pillows. New lock design is impressive and safer. Beautifully designed hotel. We were on motorcycles and parking was in an attached garage. Could not exit without the help of an employee. But they were ready and willing.

• Stayed: July 2013

Claude Marcotte, General Manager, Holiday Inn Saskatoon

Thank you for your complimentary review on your 2 nights stay. I was pleased to read that you found the hotel well appointed and that your guest room was comfortable. Safety is at the forefront form entering the parkade, to accessing your guest floor and room. Our staff know that that they need to assist with exiting the parkade with a motorcycle and it was nice to read that they were there to assist.
Thank you for your review and look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

This hotel is relatively new and so everything is clean and modern. It is located downtown and is easy to find. The river is a short distance away if you want to go for a walk or jog, and restaurants are nearby too. There is a small cafe/store that sells snacks and toiletries if you forget anything. I went there once to get coffee and a snack. It's only average. Since the counter is not normally staffed, you may have to wait awhile for someone at the front desk to ring in your purchase.

I had no complaints about the room. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. We ate at the restaurant attached to the hotel and found the food to be average. With so many restaurants nearby, there are plenty of other options.

The food/snack options at the hotel were not exceptional. But overall, this is a very nice property. It's is on the pricier side, but comparable to other hotels of similar quality in the downtown area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Claude Marcotte, General Manager, Holiday Inn Saskatoon

Thank you for comments on your most recent stay. The hotel is new and well located to the Midtown Mall and other entertainment venues. The Hub Cafe and snack options are serviced by our Guest Service Agents who will do their best to service the purchaser in a timely manner. I was pleased that your guest room met to your expectations as our Housekeeping staff take great pride in their work. We are currently reviewing our restaurant menu which will provide our guests with a greater choice of menus items which they have recommended.
I was pleased that you found us comparable in pricing to the other hotels in the downtown area and we look forward to serving you once again on your future travels to Saskatoon!