“Didn't Get a Chance to Try the Food”

Poached Breakfast Bistro
Ranked #9 of 684 Restaurants in Saskatoon
Cuisines: European, Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Breakfast restaurant in the same building as Flint Saloon in the evenings
Saskatoon, Canada
“Didn't Get a Chance to Try the Food”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We dropped by Poached this morning for a late brunch. We arrived half an hour before they closed the lunch service -- a little right, I would agree -- and were given a rude brush off at the door. (Poached is transformed into a dining room for the evening.) I do not mind seeing a "Closed" sign in the window, even if folks are still inside. But in the absence of a sign, and being there before closing, we would have appreciated being treated a little better. We had heard good things about the restaurant, but will be hard pressed to consider trying it again.

By the way, reviews on other sites are much less positive that the TripAdvisor reviews. A fair percentage of them raised questions about the service.

1 Thank Ken C

Prince George, Canada
“Classy at Breakfast...Who Knew?”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Our god-daughter was coming off a night shift in emergency at City Hosp. and suggested we meet her and her husband here for a breakfast visit before we headed onward to Edmonton. Located in what appears to be a neighbourhood in transition from grunge on its way to upscale the exterior has no appeal at all. However, that all changes once you walk through the door. There are heavy curtains just inside the entrance that you have to part to gain entry into the truly unexpected. The space is long and narrow with tables and booths along the wall to your right. The tables are covered in heavy, pristine white linen and attractively set complete with wine glasses and heavy white linen napkins. I felt like I was entering a French bistro. The front section was full so went to the rear section located up a couple of steps. The whole place is drenched in atmosphere and the menu features a list for breakfast that is fresh and intriguing... I've never seen so many variations of eggs benedict. The service was adequate but in fairness the place was busy and really a lot to ask of two servers...one more would have made quite a difference. My only complaint was the overpriced coffee...imajine a refill charge of $2 for each refill! In the evening this place turns into a tapas bar and I suspect the ambience is totally different but certainly full marks to the owners for catching both markets. The washrooms, located in the basement, are down a steep flight of stairs and so are not wheelchair accessible. This place is worth getting up and going out to breakfast for so give it a try sometime.

1 Thank Roy C
“Great flavours”
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Is Sunday morning, almost noon.
Drove past looking for this place.
Is a hole in the wall from the front. Tiny signage. Long narrow n a bit loud.
Wait was approx 30mins.
Service was excellent from the time we entered and continued throughout.
I had the French omlette n my wife had the butter crunch omlette.
Both presented well.
I enjoyed the fresh taste n combination of the flavors.
Very much recommend this place

“Excellent”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have been there a few times and have been impressed with the service and more so of the food. This little place downtown I have been driving by for years and never went in before. Now it is about the only breakfast place I will go to.

• Visited November 2012
“A new discovery!!”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were so pleased with our breakfast last Sunday- we arrived about 9:00ish and had no trouble getting a table but it filled up fast- not a very large establishment- rather snug quarters but the food makes up for it........soooo tasty. I had the eggs benedict, portions were a bit deceiving, it didn't look like much but I left very full. I can't remember the name of my husbands dish(I wish I could) but it was eggs, bacon, potato,toast etc. The potato looked like coquettes, the bacon was rolled up with maybe a bit of a maple sugary coating.......it was all so good he wasn't very generous when it came time to share. Any chance to go the extra mile or put a different spin on regular food was taken at this busy little place. The service was just fine, the food was served promptly. Next time I go I might try the crab cakes.........

• Visited March 2013