“Don't stay anywhere else”
Review of The James Hotel

The James Hotel
Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in Saskatoon
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We stayed 1 night at The James Hotel in February because we had to catch an early flight (5:50 AM). We were so happy there. They even provided us with a lovely breakfast at 4:15 AM. That is amazing service. We have stayed at upscale boutique hotels in Paris, New York, California, Vancouver and this was one of the nicest hotels we have stayed in. The sheets are amazing. Other times when we needed to stay in Saskatoon (my family is 1 1/4 hours out of Saskatoon) the hotels we stayed in were not that great. This will always be our hotel to stay in and I would recommend it to anyone. Pick the river view.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

The hotel is fantastic. I reserved a room for two nights online and then noticed there was very little difference between the city view room (which I had booked) and the river view, so called the front desk and asked to revise my reservation. The gentleman who answered commended my choice and recommended a room on one of the higher floors for the best view (which he noted on the file).

We arrived to our 11th floor river view room - spectacular! The room was great. But the service was even better. And the turndown service delightful.

Plus, the barman makes an incredible whiskey sour.

No detail is overlooked. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Book a river view room!
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We stayed at The James Hotel in February 2012 and had a small, private (legal) wedding ceremony before we headed south for the real wedding. We could not have picked a more perfect setting.

My husband booked the Date Night package but the hotel upgraded us to a suite across the street from the skating rink by the Bessborough, beautiful view!!

The suite was modern, chic and elegant. The living space was more than large enough for us and our five wedding guests and extremely comfortable.

After the ceremony we went next door to Carvers for a lovely supper.

The bathroom and bedroom were both roomy and very luxurious. There was a large flat screen tv in both the living area and bedroom with river views from both rooms. We cannot say enough about the staff, they were so accomodating and gracious.

The breakfast the next morning was quite gourmet, beautiful fruit, pastries, coffee, juice, smoothies, eggs benedict, etc. Just Lovely!!

We are so glad we tried this new hotel and plan on spending every Anniversary in a suite at The James!!

Reviewed March 26, 2012

Service! What a treat. When you arrive there is someone at the door and at the desk. Smiling happy helpful and genuinely friendly and approachable staff. So refreshing! Even the cleaners are happy, we overheard one singing in the elevator. We stayed in a studio suite on the 7th floor. Very spacious and comfortable, with a big window and balcony and a view of the churchyard. Separate living area to relax. Our room did not directly face the river but the view was very nice. Easy parking. A lovely bathroom, very comfy large tub. Good lighting. The bed is like sleeping on a cloud. The rooms are very quiet, with the only exception being that the automatic closers on the doors make them close (i mean slam) quite loudly and woke me up a couple of times during the night. There is no traffic noise, hall noise or adjoining room sound transfer.
The breakfast is a full gourmet, and I do mean gourmet, meal, in a sunny room with a nice view and great coffee, and again, that service! We usually don't partake of included hotel "breakfasts" but I'm glad we did this time. And as if all this isn't enough, in the evening they bring a wee snack of the most delicious chocolate covered strawberries to your room.
What more could a person possibly want in a hotel stay? My only beef was the door slamming devices, maybe those could somehow be adjusted to be a little less enthusiastic.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Stayed here this weekend in a suite on the tenth floor. Great views of the river. The rooms are very tastefully decorated, location is perfect and the service was also great. We had a very nice breakfast Sunday morning on the second floor. Everything was perfect, and I must mention the bed sheets - AMAZING, so soft. I am going to email them and find out where they get them from. Would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 7, 2012

When I told friends we were staying at the James Hotel in Saskatoon, they said they'd never heard of it. Well, they will. The James is a boutique hotel the likes of which Saskatoon has never seen — luxury linens, high-end bath products (l'Occitane), impeccable service, and even a flavourful breakfast included with the price of the room. My husband and I booked a small room but upon check-in were given an upgrade to a suite with river view. Our suite had a living room with balcony overlooking the river and stately Spadina Cres., and the bedroom with king-sized bed and lots of plump pillows also had a large window with the same lovely view. I loved the soft grey and white decor, relaxing yet elegant. The staff was friendly and warm and seemed anxious to make sure our stay was as comfortable as possible. We did not take advantage of having a drink in the cozy lounge on the main floor, but it looked very inviting. I thought the hotel would be very good, but it was so much more, exceeding all of my expectations. It felt like a unique hotel in a much larger city. Saskatoon is fortunate indeed to have such a beautiful hotel and I look forward to our next stay. I can imagine sitting on the balcony on a late-June night, having a drink and enjoying the atmosphere of the Saskatoon Jazz Festival. I wish the staff and management the best of luck with the James -- they're off to a great start.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WebM50
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Although I can see why this hotel would be great for business travellers, it was also fantastic on the weekend. We were in town for just one night to attend a wedding, and wanted to stay somewhere peaceful and comfortable - and we were very happy with our choice.

The location is stellar - right across from the river, a quaint skating rink and the stately Delta Bessborough. The service from start to finish was exceptional. Our rate included breakfast - a continental spread, plus made-to-order omelettes. The second floor breakfast room looks out over the river and is a lovely spot to enjoy morning coffee. Although we were told that the lobby lounge can get quite active, it certainly never disturbed us.

The rooms are very nicely appointed - some people might find them a little bland colour-wise, but we liked that they are modern and clean. The beds are comfortable and featured some of the softest linens we've ever found! Many nice touches, including L'occitaine toiletries, turndown service and some sweet treats left for our midnight snack. It's impressive that even in downtown, guests are not charged extra for parking.

Overall, we would happily recommend the James for a stylish alternative to the big, impersonal hotels.

Tip: for another great breakfast (or lunch) option, check out Calories on nearby Broadway Avenue.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple