“Poor Service, Needs Renovation, Expensive”

Sandman Hotel Saskatoon
Ranked #30 of 39 Hotels in Saskatoon
Ottawa
“Poor Service, Needs Renovation, Expensive”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Check in/out process is from the stone age, actually physically taking an imprint of credit card. Check in for a group of 4 took almost 20 minutes of typing and paperwork. The last Marriott I stayed at took about 60 seconds. Reservation was cancelled for some reason and almost left us stranded. Hotel rooms are old, SMELL musty, of old cigarette smoke and cheap air freshener. Air conditioner is taped together with duct tape. Garbage truck picks up and slams down dumpster at 5:30 am, waking up anyone trying to sleep. Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Beverley G, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Saskatoon, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your valued feedback.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems encountered during your stay. Your comments are very important to us and taken very seriously and have been addressed for immediate rectification.
We are also very excited to announce our current renovations and hoping on your next visit to Saskatoon, extend, The Sandman Hotel, Saskatoon, the opportunity to showcase our newly renovated guestrooms!
Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Langley City, Canada
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Where to start - carpets weren't clean, I found a nacho chip next to the bed (do the maids even look when they clean,it was pretty obvious). Shower curtain rod was almost ready to fall off the wall,room was stifling hot when I arrived (would have been nice to set the temp control in the room to close to 70F), never got internet to work, it was such poor reception. And lastly, the room didn't have a closet but did have a wardrobe. Unfortunately the hangers were too low and when I hung my pants up they laid on the ground.

Won't stay here again. Has a dirty feel to the place. Needs an upgrade.

1 Thank 507mike
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your comments.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the many problems encountered during your stay with us.
Guests feedback is important to us as it ensure a high consistency in exceeding our customers expectations, this certainly was not exhibited to you during your visit. I can assure you, this is not our standard of service we strive to achieve and your comments have been seriously addressed for rectification. We are currently upgrading our internet service and are very excited to announce our current guestroom renovations.
I'm hoping you will afford The Sandman Hotel, Saskatoon another opportunity to host your future hotel visit to Saskatoon and to showcase our newly renovated guestrooms.

Best Regards,
B
Winnipeg
Reviewed May 13, 2014

When I arrived I noticed they still had their hot tub and pool out of service sign up. It was there the last time I was at the hotel 6 months ago. The room had cheap polyester throws, the furniture was chipped, the lamp had a plug for my CPAP but you had to leave the light on or you didn't get power. Bathroom needed a good scrub down. On the surface it looked clean but when you looked closer, definitely not. The hallways near the elevators on the 3rd floor had chipped off wood from the baseboards and I could go on. It's rundown and for the prices they are charging, I'll definitely be looking elsewhere the next time. The room was stuffy and I tried to open the small window but the noise of the partying in the parking lot at 2 a.m. woke me up. The air conditioner was shaking and sputtering so I could not sleep through that. I talked to the hotel front desk staff and she said she would pass on my comments however she seemed uninterested in the feedback. Only thing going for it was the location.

Regina, Canada
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

Front desk agents mocked me while I was still within earshot. When I confronted the manager, there was no apology, she said she'd look into it and call me back (3 days later and now that I've left, I'm still waiting to hear back). The rates quoted were inconsistent and I was not given the room I was promised on the phone.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I have stayed in this hotel a number of times and always found it to be clean, well maintained and with good services. They have a Denny's for breakfast and Shark Club for supper, with very good service at both. Currently undergoing renovation, though they did not wait until it was in poor shape - just freshening and updating, to avoid it looking run down.
Saskatoon is a surprisingly busy city, and is sometimes limited on hotel space. This one is a great choice - close to the airport and very accommodating.

Room Tip: All the rooms I have stayed in have been very nice.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
sask canada
Reviewed April 28, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Sandman for a night and found everything great. The check-in ladies are professional and very nice. Our room had a soft queen size bed with new pillows and an LCD tv. There was also a mini fridge and a coffee maker with supplies. The bathroom shower had good water pressure and hot water was steady throughout. We wanted to use the hot tub but it was out of order. After a great breakfast at dennys downstairs, we went back to the room, grabbed our things and went to check out. The only reason im not giving a Excellent rating is the hot tub.

We would definitely return to the Sandman, especially if I was able to get the same room again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Lloydminster, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2014

One word. HOT! This hotel turns the air conditioning off in the winter months, so unless you like sleeping in a very, very warm room...pick another hotel (for the colder 6 months of the year) until they change their heating system!

I called the front desk when I got there to ask how to get the air working, they said I could open the window or they would bring a fan up. Good grief!

You can not sleep with the window open as there is noise from the two bars, lots of loud traffic, and an airport not far away.

The bed I had was very, very hard as well.

The hotel is nice and clean, the room I had was huge and really nice furnishings.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel that has room temperature control.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Beverley G, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Saskatoon, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Your feedback is very important to me as it ensures your stay was one of comfort and value in a caring and professional manner. Please accept my sincere apologies for the guestroom temperature not being comfortable during your stay. As the outdoor temperature vary in between seasons, in Saskatchewan, thus inhibiting us to de-winterize our in room air- conditioners until weather permits. We are very excited about our Renovation's and are currently looking at air-conditioning units for the Winter months as well.

My apologies, again, and it is my wish you will afford The Sandman Hotel, Saskatoon the opportunity to host your future hotel accommodation needs.