“Don't Waste Your Money”

Saskatoon Thriftlodge
Ranked #38 of 41 Hotels in Saskatoon
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Stopped in Saskatoon for one night while travelling across Canada with my family and found the Thriftlodge. Having stayed at one previously and found it to be acceptable for the price we decided to stay. What can I say? It was despicable. For $145 I expected a little more than what we got. To start the room (a double and pull out) was no larger than a walk in closet. The carpets were filthy and stained as was the couch. There was paint peeling off the walls and ceiling. The bathtub was stained and there was black mold on the back of the door. The blankets on the bed were stained and had cigarette burns, and the pull out bed mattress was old, lumpy, and in dire need of replacement. The sign above the lobby boasted 37" TVs but it was no larger than 27" and didn't have a remote (of course that is a small point as the room was so tiny that all we had to do was lean over to use the controls). When we checked out and made our points known the receptionist gave no care to our complaints and had the audacity to tell us to have a nice day. I travel for a living and this by far was the WORST accomodations I have ever experienced. Don't waste your money...we should have slept in our truck!!

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel.
Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
12  Thank opposethenorm
Travis B, General Manager at Saskatoon Thriftlodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2012

This review will be similar to all the other reviews that we are renovating and it takes time. Also in a city that is sold out lots and in Canada's hottest economies we price accordingly to what our competitors are pricing and are still one of the economy priced properties. I encourage our guests to book in advance to ensure pricing in competitive as demand increases the shorter you book.

We do appreciate your review and should note that a discount has taken place but your comments do allow us to improve our service techniques and ensure that other readers understand the exciting changes that are happening for future stays.

New ownership as of March and we are certainly have already done quite a bit as you mentioned. The property does already have the great amenities such as complimentary continental breakfast(with waffles), free parking, close to your concert venue, 37" or larger tv's, free wi fi, free business centre, and the ability to try our incredible new gel pillows which have been getting rave reviews.

Renovations take time but are moving quickly. We have new furniture coming in August and September in 2 separate shipments. New carpet in all 2nd floor rooms(1st floor is still in good shape), 14 new heating A/C units. We just completed our lobby renovations, entire new phone system, and installing 6 full kitchenette suites with new cabinets, sink, fridge and microwave.

Saskatoon continues to be the hottest market in western canada with most hotels charging quite high rates as per limited inventory available. The night that you stayed the city was sold out. I continue to encourage our customers(as per our blog states) to book well in advance.

Sincerely

Reviewed July 19, 2012

A Friday night concert in Saskatoon & Saturday afternoon football game in Regina meant we needed a simple, clean, easy type of hotel room for the night. We wouldn't really be there that long, didn't need to spend big money and so my friend found us a couple rooms at the ThriftLodge.
I was skeptical at first, but when I read on their website of the renovations taking place and what seemed to be a true desire to turn the place around, I was encouraged and hopeful. And, hey it included a continental breakfast.
However, as the title of my review suggests, you just can't polish a turd.

Overall, it looks alright when you arrive with a freshly paved parking lot and renovated lobby. The continental breakfast room looked clean, bright & fresh. The check in process was easy, the front desk person was friendly and recommended a great restaurant & directions.

It was a scorching 30+C summer day and we needed some ice for a drink after the drive however, it was not working. Front desk gave no good explanation and no alternative. When one of your few ammenities is an ice machine, you should probably get it working. It didn't work that afternoon, evening or the next morning.
No harm, with hope in our eye, we make our way to the room only to have it dashed. It was hot, even with the air conditioning running full blast. A small fan circulated it best it could. Our friends' new air conditioner worked perfectly. So maybe it's something that's being renovated. However, they had all the same worn out, haggered room issues we did. As you looked around, you couldn't help but spot the years of use. Dirty, stained, old carpet. Banged up, frayed, stained, old furniture, drapes. I lost most of my sense of smell years ago, only to have it return briefly with gusto and an awful musty smell from the bathroom. Wet & stained ceiling tiles, worn & stained linoleum, cracked caulking in tub.
The bed was old & worn out (but revealed no bed bugs! yeah!) however a check of the blankets showed cigarette burns in the bedspread and hairs on the allegedly fresh sheets. Perhaps the housekeeper is extremely hairy, but at any rate, there were hairs galore.
I called down to the front desk to ask for more towels and casually mention the sheets seem to be covered in hair. There was no housekeeping staff there, so she said to come down to the desk and get the towels. I did and she offered another room which wouldn't work for our circumstance, but no apology or discount. I just took another couple sets of sheets and remade the bed overtop of the hair, hoping a few vodkas before bed would help us forget.

My boyfriend had a shower and without a working fan, the room quickly got even hotter and more uncomfortable. Plus you felt as though you couldn't relax anywhere. Hairy bed, stained chairs, awful carpet. But we tried to make the most of it.
Later that night, the sleep wasn't great, but it was quiet enough, at least with the hum of the labouring a/c plugging away. We got up early and checked out the breakfast. A nice selection for a quick bite: coffee, juice (OJ was broken), bread for toast, a few cereal selections, fruit, yogurt, muffins & other baked goods. The waffles looked good, if you had the time and patience to wait around for the one-at-a-time self-serve waffle iron.
Overall, I don't want to seem like a princess that can't take a little "roughing" it now and then. And honestly, the other guests seemed quite content. The room was about as clean as you can get something that run-down, save for the sheets. It just looked sad and in need of a complete overhaul. Hopefully the management comes through with complete renovations that are as nice as the 37"LED TV's in every room. But for the price, $119+ ($135 taxes in), I just feel it was overpriced for what we got.
After retelling our story, many of my friends say they couldn't have stayed there. So I give this review honestly so you can make your own decision.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
14  Thank MsChif
Travis B, General Manager at Saskatoon Thriftlodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Thank you for your very detailed response and for highlighting many of renovations that have already taken place. Reviews allow us to improve our service techniques and ensure that other readers understand the exciting changes that are happening for future stays.

Yes, our ice machine went down on the hottest day and was hard pressed to get a technician in on that day but am pleased to say we are producing the 250 ibs of ice per day it is suppose to.

Saskatoon continues to be the hottest market in western canada with most hotels charging quite high rates as per limited inventory available. I continue to encourage our customers(as per our blog states) to book well in advance especially when a large concert is playing such as Neil Diamond where all rooms are sold out. Thriftlodge continues to offer value even in a high demand market, our renovation progress and value amenities show this.

Sincerely

Reviewed May 10, 2012

I looked at someof the new rooms nd found it is the best value for the pricing, The new owner was highly thought of when working ast the a Travelodge. I have started booking some of our new Canadians at this location near the airport,
Presently Saskatoon is booked pretty solid and this gives an alternative at better pricing..
The people I have booked in seemed satisfied
\

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank normanwallace
Reviewed May 6, 2012

First, the night attendant was slow. It took over twenty minutes to check in at midnight.

The place is ancient and run down. The noisy heater bangs all night and looks like it has been slowly burning through the wall. You can see through the hole left by the heater into the room from the bathroom. The trains run behind the hotel all night. I've had better Internet connection on dial up.

The morning service just laughed when we brought forward our complaints.

Also, this is most definitely not a 'budget' hotel, we were charged $160 for a room with two double beds for just one night!

Room Tip: stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
15  Thank tlaramie2012
Travis B, General Manager at Saskatoon Thriftlodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2012

We appreciate your input. We are under new ownership and are excited as we are completely renovating the property. Last month we started our renovations on our lobby, brought in a complimentary breakfast with waffles and a business centre. We are bringing in all new furniture to the guestrooms and have recently upgraded our televisions to 37" LED LG TV's. We are also bringing in 7 kitchenette suites that will have kitchen cabinets, sink, fridge, and microwaves for the convenience of longer term guests. Saskatoon is one of the busiest hotel markets in Canada due to the economy being so strong. You were in Saskatoon when it was extremely busy. For future bookings, anywhere, I suggest booking ahead as all properties will be higher priced then average when you just walk in and try and book a room when the city is sold out.

I apologize about the slower check in process, I will look into that but we certainly take customer service issues seriously and does not sound like our typical day person and will look into. Thanks for your feedback. Keep posted for all the great changes.

In hospitality,

Reviewed May 4, 2012

I have read some of your reviews people of this motel and i just wanted to say i have not experienced any of these occurences.The staff was very friendly and help-full in many ways.i never had one concern that i can even think of.I stay at this hotel 3 times a month and there professional conduct courtesy and friendly enviroment they provide is up there to a class and star hotel.Kudos to your staff Mike i commend you on how you treat people and all there concerns.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

I shared your comments with the staff. It's important for them to see how their hard work and customer service helps guests like you. Yes, we are doing lots of renovations and moving forward with positive customer focused services in mind. You'll be happy to hear that we are putting kitchenettes in with cabinets, sink, fridge, and microwaves for your longer future stays. Late summer we will have all new furniture so each room will have a new look as well as fridges in each room. we look forward to your next stay.

In hospitality,

Reviewed February 4, 2012

Lets see. The hotel was as good as can be expected. The hotel did not use fitted sheets on the beds and that left part of the mattress exposed. I don't expect much when it comes to bedding at budget motels, but this is especially bad.

The mattresses seemed to be pretty new, and they are the typical hard as nails cheap motel mattress, the place was clean. The gas furnace between the bathroom and the main room left much to be desired. It did a great job of letting all the bathroom noise out, and filling the whole place with the lovely sound of the pilot light firing up every so often. Electric heat would be much appreciated.

The room layout was odd and very cramped, but had a very large open corner next to the bathroom, unfortunately the area was so dark it wasn't useful at all.

The other tenants are exactly what you can expect at a budget motel. We often heard car alarms going off and the sound of the people upstairs dropping beer bottles and falling over drunk.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. No problems with them. The central parking lot was fine and the overnight clerk watches it like a hawk, the parking lot towards the mcdonalds leaves a bit to be desired.

The internet was pretty sketchy but somehow only went out twice over a whole week.

Room Tip: Go anywhere else.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
8  Thank jason9945
Travis B, Owner at Saskatoon Thriftlodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2012

We appreciate your comments. New ownership took over March 1st. We'd love to have you back as there are some great value added amenities coming to the property. Thank you
Travis Batting
Owner/Operator
Thriftlodge

Reviewed October 6, 2011

Would not recommend this hotel if you need internet service. We stayed in room 209 and was told that the hotel had two routers one on each side of the hotel (we were in the middle) and that I would probably not get internet service!! I did but very sporatic, kept disconnecting. Very frustrating when I had to have service....

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
14  Thank KenoraTootsie

I just took over ownership and it's one of my top priorities. Internet is crucial and that middle section has been a blind spot. If it wasn't for customer feedback I wouldn't have made it a top priority. For the value of our property we want to ensure you are getting the amenities you need. I want to point out that we are also getting a business station for the breakfast room so you can also have another option for internet access. Internet rules the world now and is why we're reading these reviews. :)

Appreciate your business and your comments
Travis Batting