“an everyday hotel”

Hilton Garden Inn Saskatoon Downtown
Ranked #13 of 41 Hotels in Saskatoon
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 20, 2010

My husband and I stayed here over the weekend as a getaway kind of thing. It wasnt bad for the price you pay. it's a good location with the mall right across the hotel and the cineplex a block away. It was noisy at night though with the traffic of people spinning their tires and stuff. i found the bed really hard and we even tried turning the dial all the way down to soft on both sides and it didnt seem to do anything at all. we rented the jacuzzi suite room the room itself i think needs to be updated it kind of looked like an old motel room with a jacuzzi tub thrown into the corner. and the room had a musky smell to it. all in all it was good for what you pay for i guess id recommend it as a great place to stay if your in the city for a night or weekend or dont want to spend a whole lot etc. but not so much if your into the real nice places

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 15, 2010

My union used this hotel as its host hotel for our annual convention.We were not disappointed.The rooms were great.The beds were comfortable and the service was very good.The room we had booked for our social was great and the ambience and service in the room was second to none.The main lobby is a beautiful area where one can kick back and relax.Food in the restaurant was quite good.The pool area is more than adequate.The workout area is small........however we were told they are planning on expanding it.The area was wonderful for our out-of-town guests.It is right across the street from the largest and nicest looking mall in the province.It is only about 4-5 blocks to the river and the trail system there.It is also 2 blocks to a large theatre complex and 1 block to TCU Place where we had our meetings and speakers.I would think that most travel-savvy people would find this hotel more than adequate to suit their needs.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 5, 2010

I want to thank the staff at the Hilton Garden Inn. I was sent by the Four Points by Sheraton at around 1AM (overbooked) on November 30th and I found the staff very professional. They parked my car, gave me a nice room...and all this with a smile. This is where I will be staying from now on.

Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 30, 2010

I spent a lot of time in Saskatoon when I was a teenager (in the 80s and 90s); it was a pretty rundown place. Not my favourite summer stop. But this hotel makes up for a lot of that. The staff is professional and engaging, I had no complaints there. The hotel itself is a bit small on the public areas side, but the rooms are gorgeous and comfortable. Love that duvet, and those beds that don't seem to be anywhere else in the world except Hilton hotels. Would recommend this place in a heartbeat (and not just because you'd be hard pressed to find anything to compare to it in Saskatoon).

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 17, 2010

First, let me say that the Hilton Garden Inn Saskatoon is a fine hotel and that most will be extremely satisfied with their stay there so do not let the Average/3* rating turn you off! I tend to be picky for a few things and this location did not deliver as well in those areas.

The goods:
Friendly staff, very comfortable bed, lots of space in room (upgraded to jacuzzi/fireplace suite), free wifi, acceptable restaurant on site

The not as good:
A few cracks in the ceiling, painting cracking from bath, 50% of equipment in extremely small gym not working or partially broken, visble dust in airvent (bathroom), smells in elevator+worn carpets, partially broken handle on toilet

Another thing, and this is a personal preference but I am not a big fan of through the window/wall airconditioning units in hotel rooms as they are noisier than more central units and do not tend to heat a room evenly (and surprisingly, heat was required on this very cold July day!!!)

The biggest disappointment was the gym: 2 treadmills (1 not working), one stationary bike (display not fully operational), one "manual" elliptical-type machine, 2 "weights" stations - all in a small and stuffy room

A positive surprise was the on-site restaurant - which may not win an award but had very acceptable food and selection for a typical "Hilton Garden Inn" restaurant. Although the main course was slightly overcoked, all veggies and side dishes were fresh and of excellent quality. Also had breakfast buffet on site which I found acceptable.

This hotel feels more like a "premium" Hampton Inn Suites than a "regular" Garden Inn. It is now hitting the 5 year mark and this is usually when we know whether a place will remain a good place, or whether it will start to go down due to maintenance and not replacing things such as carpets,... Early indication is that basic maintenance is not being done as evidenced by cracks, minor bathroom defects and gym equipment.

This is still a fine place, and as of now, would still recommend it but unless some investment is made in the place, it will start to go downhill rather rapidly

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
HGISaskatoon, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Saskatoon Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We appreciate your business and your comments as we take feedback to heart in our efforts to improve our performance. I would like to advise you of a few enhancements that are occurring shortly. The Fitness Centre will be upgraded to the new Hilton Garden Inn Precor Fitness Centre standard, featuring new equipment and finishes. Completion is expected by early fall. While we are currently replacing all remaining beds with the Hilton Garden Sleep System bed as well as upgrading televisions, we are planning a more substantial renovation over the next 12-18 months in our restaurant, lounge, lobby and guest rooms. Thank you again and please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I may be of any assistance in the future.

Lynn Flury
Hilton Garden Inn Saskatoon

Reviewed June 1, 2010

I can't say enough good things about this hotel as it became my refuge from a very busy schedule. My room was very nice -lots of room, a king size bed, fridge, microwave, flat screen TV, desk, wirelss internet, nice bathroom with marble vanity, nice toiletries, jaccuzzi tub and shower, The hotel staff were very nice and helpful -can't thank them enough. The restaurant -unlike many hotel restaurants- had great food at reasonable prices, they also do the room service. They offer buffets at breakfast and lunch. Cold breakfast buffet was $7.95 and Hot breakfast buffet was five dollars more at $12.95. The lunch buffet was $14. The lobby is very nicely furnished and very relaxing.

I have stayed in many nice hotels in my travels and I gave this one such a high rating because they exceeded my expectations in every way -service, accommodations, food, and atmosphere.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed April 20, 2010

I stayed one night at this Garden Inn, across the street from Midtown mall. I agree with several other postings here: overall, the hotel is excellent.

You can pull in your car (if no others are there) at the front entrance for 10 minutes. Lobby was attractive and inviting. Check-in was prompt, friendly and professional. Elevators a bit slow. Surveillance cameras in hallways.

Pop and Ice machines were on my floor (I'm uncertain of other floors). My room had a comfy king bed with white bedding, desk with excellent office chair, Internet was free and reliable. Modern decor. Closet with folding door included iron & board.

Sheers and blackout drapes on the window. Wall unit includes microwave, bar fridge and coffeemaker. No concerns with the bathroom. My TV remote control was acting up. When I called to report it, I had a replacement in 8 minutes.

The pool has steps from shallow to the deeper section. Larger than your typical hotel pool. Small whirlpool in the corner. Even a playroom next to the changerooms. There is a great open air deck off the pool – an unexpected surprise.

Gym is immediately next to the pool. It’s tight for space. Includes 2 treadmills – both with their own TVs, elliptical, (and other equipment I didn’t use) towels, stuff to clean equipment. Access 24/7 with your room card.

Enjoyed the breakfast buffet at the onsite restaurant (not included with my room price). Free newspapers available in the lobby.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business