“Boutique Hotel?”

Hotel Senator Saskatoon
Ranked #31 of 41 Hotels in Saskatoon
Reviewed May 15, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights, having had our reservation at another hotel get lost in the shuffle. We called and left a message and then panicked and I booked online (using my credit card), as it was an exceptionally busy weekend in Saskatoon and empty rooms were few and far between. We arrived and checked in, and were offered a room on the front of the hotel, away from the pub. A good choice as the pub is very busy.
The smell of the carpets on the first floor hallway is really something else, a combination of dust and mold I think. Eventually you get used to it and fortunately the room did not smell.
However, the first morning we were trying to sleep in when construction commenced on the room across the hall. Would have been helpful if they had mentioned that when we were trying to pick what part of the hotel to be in.
The room was very clean and as other reviewers have mentioned, the bed was great and the bedding fantastic. When we tried to watch the television, we could not get it to work. A visit from maintenance and we learned that the last guests must have stolen the remote control and the HDMi cable! They replaced both for us right away.
The parking situation is a bit strange, but we had no issues with leaving our keys at the desk and were grateful that other guests had left theirs when they had to move a vehicle to let us out.
We did at one point get locked out of our room. We went outside for a cigarette and had only one smoke and a lighter, no wallets or anything else. We were sent into the pub and given free drinks while they contacted maintenance to come and look at it. I think they may have offered us free food as well, but to be honest the pub food was disappointing at best and we stuck to drinks. The lock had seized but they used graphite and got it open and we did not have to change rooms (which had been mentioned as a possibility).
Our last night we were trying to get a nap in before hitting the clubs and the smoke alarm battery decided to start chirping. We did call the front desk and were told that it was too bad as the maintenance staff were off until the next day. So...we piled up a few pieces of furniture and yanked the battery (don't worry we told the desk when we checked out).
When we checked it it started to get confusing. At check in, as I had already used my credit card for a pre-auth, my card was declined. So my travel partner used his, and I was very clear that it was to be billed to mine. I was given an invoice that stated it was billed to my card. However, my friend realized that it was billed on his. A few phone calls later and it was determined that they had charged his, rather than mine. It seemed that the front desk staff were very confused and it was a real ordeal to get this information.
Would I stay there again? Probably not. Do I regret staying there? No, it was an adventure.

Room Tip: Stay away from being over top of the pub and maybe ask if they are planning renovations near your ro...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aurora C

Reviewed May 2, 2014

I was hesitant to write this report. I visit Saskatoon a few times a year, and I have always wanted to stay at Hotel Senator. I love the perfect location and from the outside, it looks very special. I wanted to give it a chance and experience it for myself, even though I had read questionable reviews.

There are good things. The bed is very comfortable. The bedding is wonderful. The room is clean and charming. The furniture is quaint. The lobby is gorgeous with its lovely rich old world style. The television has satellite with more channels than I have ever had in a hotel. Which is good, because I have to have it on... loud… to drown out the noise of the pub below me and revelers outside..

I arrived at 1:00 pm on the day I was to check-in. I was told I was too early but was allowed to stow my baggage behind the front desk counter while I wandered and waited. When I returned at 3:00 pm, I was told the housekeeping had not yet informed the front desk whether my room was ready. So I sat in the lobby, in a chair facing the front desk, and I waited. 40 minutes later, I was told my room was ready.

FYI: my husband and I own a small hotel. If I had a guest waiting in my lobby for their room at 3:00 pm, I would have gone to housekeeping, myself, to ask them to prepare the room immediately. I would not stay behind a counter and wait for housekeeping to come to me. In fact I would have gone to housekeeping at 1:00 pm to tell housekeeping to prepare the room, now, before sending any guest away for 2 hours.

I had to get my bags from behind the front desk and was not offered any help from the front desk staff (I‘m a 65 yr old woman). I hoisted my bags onto the trolley and maneuvered it to the elevator. In the elevator, there was a fellow who works for the hotel. He saw I needed help and he couldn't do enough for me. He took the trolley for me, opened my room and unloaded my bags, cheerfully. Thank you sir.

There is a nice leather bound book in the night side table, with a welcome letter. It is filled with information. On the page titled "Dining and Conference Facilities “there is a section called "Room Service". It reads: “The same fine quality and service as is in our restaurant is available
to you simply by ordering Room Service. We are pleased to offer a complete array of menu choices for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or between meal snacks. Room Service is available Monday through Saturday from 8:00am until 10:00pm. Please consult the menu at the back of this directory.". Good to know! Now I can relax and don’t have to out for a meal. But, when I looked at the back of the directory, I could not find a menu. So, I went to the front desk to ask them for the Room Service Menu. I was told there is no room service menu. I mentioned the directory in my room that highlights Room Service. I was told… There is NO room service. Confusing.

Today I went to the front desk to ask for a late checkout for tomorrow. I asked for an extra hour, and explained that my flight was tomorrow evening so I would like a bit more time in the hotel if possible. I was informed that the hotel's regular check out time is 1:00 pm and so that is considered a late checkout already. She told me I could rent a day room for $75. So, no late checkout for me.

I stayed at the Sheraton Cavalier earlier this week when I asked them for a late checkout, I was pleasantly told it was no problem at all. In fact, I was asked how late I wanted to stay!

So, all in all, I knew there was a pub downstairs so I knew to expect the noise. That is not what bothers me. What bothers me is that I am leaving the hotel with an unpleasant, unsettled feeling. The front desk represents and is the essentially the "personality" of a hotel. One's first impression of a hotel is how one are treated at the front desk. I found the Hotel Senator’s front desk rather unaccommodating and inflexible. I am disappointed… and I doubt I will return.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
8  Thank LadyStBucks
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We only stayed one night. Parking could be a big problem, but wasn't when we were there. At least it was free. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. The bathroom was very cold (weather outside not at all nice), but we found a little heater in the closet and it really did the trick. This place was not cheap - nothing in Saskatoon is cheap - but the location was very nice for being downtown. We ate at the pub downstairs and had a good meal and it was really hopping - which was fun for a couple of old gomers!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank jangenejones
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Never a dull moment. Parking was interesting, I was a little uncertain about leaving our keys for the car but it seemed legitimate. We had left the room for most of the night to visit three bars and enjoy the night life. Came back rather late, and just as we tucked into bed the night crew knocked on our door because our toilet was leaking into the bar below. We were given another room and moved our stuff (this was 1am... That sucked, but more because we had an early check out ahead and were already in pj's). All in all, the price was right and it was charming. Even though it was not a chain hotel fake smile and constant request to join a loyalty club - it was comfortable for a night of sleep. Wished we had been able to stay the whole weekend and try the restaurant below. Winston's was packed so we missed out on a fireplace and appies as we had planned - but probably a good thing if the toilet was leaking into the bar!! I can see how the hotel snob crowd would probably pick apart door locks or specks on the bed sheets - I have had worse sleeps at the Sheraton. All in all, I think my friend and I marvelled at the history and amazing parties and gangsters that roamed the halls at one point. It doesn't need much to be a four star, but seriously if you want reward points and a mint and quiet and a pristine experience - you likely already have made the booking at a chain. Go out on a limb, leave the kidlets at home, and enjoy a little history. You can starch your undies when you get home!! This is a great place for a girls night out, a non-pretentious couple, or a quick pit stop between destinations. The beds were super comfy. We did not white glove the furniture, but it was spotless from what we could see. That's all, I would probably come back but will make sure to not be surprised if the old building ills make something not awesome. Screw the wi-fi and get your butt outside to talk to people, listen to a busker, or just soak in the saskie wildlife. Also, bring some room on your credit card for a deposit. I do not fault hotels in smaller chains for doing this, I can see why it's needed. But if you need to complain, that's your right as well. See you later, Hotel Senator.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
hssaskatoon, Owner at Hotel Senator Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2014

Hi and thank you for your review! Really appreciate your feedback and honest review. We are always trying to improve our hotel (leaking toilet was plugged and fixed day after) and restaurants and feedback good and bad is important to listen to. Really happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to seeing you again someday. Safe travels!

Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times. Honestly it is by far my favorite place to stay! Always very accomodating and pleasant to stay there. I have stayed in 4 different rooms there. And have always been pleased with the rooms. Some more than others. The ones on the corners on each level are very nice rooms and have always been available upon request! Highly recommend this location. Yes it is above a bar but honestly with saying that it must be understood that yes there will be some noise.

• Stayed: November 2013
hssaskatoon, Owner at Hotel Senator Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Thank you for your kind review! We are constantly working to improve our property and guest experience! New doors and Advanced RFID locks are on agenda on April and all room are now equipped with new Kerig coffee makers! Thanks again for your business and kind review, and we look forward to see you again on your next travels!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

When you first walk in, it's simply beautiful. But the amazement stops there. The only available parking (unless you wanna feed the meter) is around back in a shady alley that fits only about 10 cars. They encourage double parking (taillight to headlight) and ask for your keys in case they need to move your car. I asked if there was something I should sign, and was told that tere usually is, but they ran out this morning and can't find the original. Upon signing papers, I was informed to not leave my license number in the spot requesting it as it is illegal for anyone to ask for that number. So I asked why it's on their form and was told "this isn't really our form, we just put our logo on it". There is a pub attached to the hotel which is loud and doesn't close Til 2am. I can hear everything. The floors creak upon every step in my room. I'm afraid to even attempt a hot shower. The room key is also an actual key. This place needs a serious upgrade and much less of a slumlord feel.
I'm not even sure if I'll stay the whole night, let alone 2.

• Stayed: March 2014
hssaskatoon, Owner at Hotel Senator Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Sorry to hear your stay, If you did stay the full night, wasn't up to your standards. Our parking lot holds 16 cars, and one side is a dbl park side. We do the best we can with what we have and it works (also free parking). Floors creak in a few spots (we are 106 year old building) but the building has been renovated to over 85 percent and is on going as well as well speak (room doors next month). We are rated a three star property and are proud of the work we have done and continue to do. Hope you find accommodation suitable for your tastes on you next travels.

General Manager/Owner

Reviewed February 22, 2014

being an old hotel built in 1908, and having minimal amenities compared to other hotels, I was apprehensive about staying here, but what the hotel lacks in amenities, it makes up for in charm and character. the rooms are small, and the bed isn't the most comfortable, however the buildings elegant architecture is very inviting and interesting and makes up for it. Staff are friendly, the location in the downtown core is excellent and Winston's English Pub attached to the hotel was awesome. Great beverages and food, and the busy atmosphere was a great first introduction to Saskatoon. Reasonably priced, it provided everything we needed while passing through. Would definitely stay here again if ever back in Saskatoon.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
hssaskatoon, Owner at Hotel Senator Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Thank you for your review! We are always working on improving our customer experience at the Hotel Senator. Bedding has been upgraded but will look into your comments for sure. Thanks also for the kind words about Winston's in the hotel. Safe travels, and we look forward to seeing you soon!