Hotel Senator Saskatoon
Delta Hotels Bessborough(Saskatoon)
The James Hotel(Saskatoon)
Park Town Hotel(Saskatoon)
View Hotel
All reviewsenglish pubvintage wineattached pubdowntown saskatoonparking is limitedsingle roomsitting roomhotel downtownchain hotelsolder hotelshave stayed here many timeslocation is excellentwater pressurefront desk staffbed was comfortablewinstonconvenience
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Never a dull moment. Parking was interesting, I was a little uncertain about leaving our keys for the car but it seemed legitimate. We had left the room for most of the night to visit three bars and enjoy the night life. Came back rather late, and just as we tucked into bed the night crew knocked on our door because our toilet was leaking into the bar below. We were given another room and moved our stuff (this was 1am... That sucked, but more because we had an early check out ahead and were already in pj's). All in all, the price was right and it was charming. Even though it was not a chain hotel fake smile and constant request to join a loyalty club - it was comfortable for a night of sleep. Wished we had been able to stay the whole weekend and try the restaurant below. Winston's was packed so we missed out on a fireplace and appies as we had planned - but probably a good thing if the toilet was leaking into the bar!! I can see how the hotel snob crowd would probably pick apart door locks or specks on the bed sheets - I have had worse sleeps at the Sheraton. All in all, I think my friend and I marvelled at the history and amazing parties and gangsters that roamed the halls at one point. It doesn't need much to be a four star, but seriously if you want reward points and a mint and quiet and a pristine experience - you likely already have made the booking at a chain. Go out on a limb, leave the kidlets at home, and enjoy a little history. You can starch your undies when you get home!! This is a great place for a girls night out, a non-pretentious couple, or a quick pit stop between destinations. The beds were super comfy. We did not white glove the furniture, but it was spotless from what we could see. That's all, I would probably come back but will make sure to not be surprised if the old building ills make something not awesome. Screw the wi-fi and get your butt outside to talk to people, listen to a busker, or just soak in the saskie wildlife. Also, bring some room on your credit card for a deposit. I do not fault hotels in smaller chains for doing this, I can see why it's needed. But if you need to complain, that's your right as well. See you later, Hotel Senator.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
hssaskatoon, Owner at Hotel Senator Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2014

Hi and thank you for your review! Really appreciate your feedback and honest review. We are always trying to improve our hotel (leaking toilet was plugged and fixed day after) and restaurants and feedback good and bad is important to listen to. Really happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to seeing you again someday. Safe travels!

Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times. Honestly it is by far my favorite place to stay! Always very accomodating and pleasant to stay there. I have stayed in 4 different rooms there. And have always been pleased with the rooms. Some more than others. The ones on the corners on each level are very nice rooms and have always been available upon request! Highly recommend this location. Yes it is above a bar but honestly with saying that it must be understood that yes there will be some noise.

• Stayed: November 2013
hssaskatoon, Owner at Hotel Senator Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Thank you for your kind review! We are constantly working to improve our property and guest experience! New doors and Advanced RFID locks are on agenda on April and all room are now equipped with new Kerig coffee makers! Thanks again for your business and kind review, and we look forward to see you again on your next travels!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

When you first walk in, it's simply beautiful. But the amazement stops there. The only available parking (unless you wanna feed the meter) is around back in a shady alley that fits only about 10 cars. They encourage double parking (taillight to headlight) and ask for your keys in case they need to move your car. I asked if there was something I should sign, and was told that tere usually is, but they ran out this morning and can't find the original. Upon signing papers, I was informed to not leave my license number in the spot requesting it as it is illegal for anyone to ask for that number. So I asked why it's on their form and was told "this isn't really our form, we just put our logo on it". There is a pub attached to the hotel which is loud and doesn't close Til 2am. I can hear everything. The floors creak upon every step in my room. I'm afraid to even attempt a hot shower. The room key is also an actual key. This place needs a serious upgrade and much less of a slumlord feel.
I'm not even sure if I'll stay the whole night, let alone 2.

• Stayed: March 2014
hssaskatoon, Owner at Hotel Senator Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Sorry to hear your stay, If you did stay the full night, wasn't up to your standards. Our parking lot holds 16 cars, and one side is a dbl park side. We do the best we can with what we have and it works (also free parking). Floors creak in a few spots (we are 106 year old building) but the building has been renovated to over 85 percent and is on going as well as well speak (room doors next month). We are rated a three star property and are proud of the work we have done and continue to do. Hope you find accommodation suitable for your tastes on you next travels.

General Manager/Owner

Reviewed February 22, 2014

being an old hotel built in 1908, and having minimal amenities compared to other hotels, I was apprehensive about staying here, but what the hotel lacks in amenities, it makes up for in charm and character. the rooms are small, and the bed isn't the most comfortable, however the buildings elegant architecture is very inviting and interesting and makes up for it. Staff are friendly, the location in the downtown core is excellent and Winston's English Pub attached to the hotel was awesome. Great beverages and food, and the busy atmosphere was a great first introduction to Saskatoon. Reasonably priced, it provided everything we needed while passing through. Would definitely stay here again if ever back in Saskatoon.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
hssaskatoon, Owner at Hotel Senator Saskatoon, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Thank you for your review! We are always working on improving our customer experience at the Hotel Senator. Bedding has been upgraded but will look into your comments for sure. Thanks also for the kind words about Winston's in the hotel. Safe travels, and we look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Very misleading information during the search portion of the trip. Right from the start, where parking was very, very limited to that of a few stalls in a very, very sketchy alley. I ended up parking in the street where it was a tourist destination for one sketchy local as I found him peering in thru my vehicle window when I finally had enough of zero sleep at 4am. I was booked for three nights but didn't last one. I digress...after parking, the check-in clerk was less than cordial or wanting to answer any of my questions. Then the elevator looked like it can use an overhaul. From there the hallway reeked of musty old carpets. The room was VERY small, dingy and also smelled. The floor in front of the tiny bathroom was so soft I thought I may step thru it. The bathroom itself had zero heat as the heat supply grilles were 8 feet high in the bed area and that air didn't make it into the bathroom. The bed had a bottom sheet that looked as though it hadn't been changed in quite sometime. There were black flecks of something undefinable on that sheet so I ended up just laying (as I say, I didn't sleep at all ) on top of the top sheet instead. Anyway, I don't have to write bad reviews very often thank goodness, but this experience called for one. If you have another choice of hotels, even for a few more sheckles, take the other one. Old, doesn't always add up to character and charm. I wish I can say something positive about it, but can't.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank TNT_9

Thank you for your comments, even though they are harsh. I am sorry your stay with us wasn't up to your expectations. We are rated a three star property and are inspected yearly by Canada Star Ratings. We DON'T try and fool anyone with what we are. A very good and reasonably priced historical property in downtown Saskatoon with free parking. Our lot is well lit, and the alley is as well with monitoring too. Safe travels and I hope you find a property that fits the bill for you next time.