“Senator Stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 39 Hotels in Saskatoon
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Senator Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

This hotel is in the very downtown part of Saskatoon, which is a great location.
The Hotel itself is very old in character but that has a certain charm to it and it was clean and my room freshened each day. There is a laundry on-site which I loved (including a free dryer!) but you may have to content with the hairdresser on premises during the day period for use.

Overall, my stay was pleasant however the service could do with a little bit of "pep"! When I left in the morning there was no thank you and have a nice trip as I departed. I simply paid and the gentleman called me a taxi. I was a bit shocked that there was no verbal goodbye and thank you as I departed. I did receive an email a day later from the manager Chris which I thought was excellent, but a verbal one at the time would have been nice also. Otherwise I thought the service was good.

On the negative, it was hard for me to feel safe in my room. The room opened with a simple key and when I closed the door behind me I couldn't actually tell if the door was locked or not. There was also no deadbolt on the door. I have recommended this change to management.

Rate wise, I would have preferred to pay less given the lack of security and the out-dated-ness of the room, but given the location the rate was fine.

The Winston pub attached to the hotel was EXCELLENT! Great food and service and a wide selection of drinks.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank kat1301aus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

AVOID Hotel Senator!

One of the hallmarks of a 'boutique' hotel should be friendly and flexible service, this one has neither!

I am a frequent traveler and regularly find myself in hotels around the world. As such, when I noticed an issue with my credit card (not with it being turned down or anything, but with the physical condition of the card) I realized it could potentially cause problems when I checked in. In order to avoid such issues I decided, prior to making a three night online reservation, to phone the hotel and apprise them of the situation so as to avoid any unexpected check-in headaches. That, however, is when this hotel showed its true colours!

When I phoned I was not greeted by a receptionist, but instead was immediately connected to voice-mail and asked to leave my name, number, and a message so my call could be returned as soon as possible. There was no option to wait on hold, just to leave a message and wait for a return call. My call was not returned, though. Over the next several hours I made repeated calls to the hotel with the same result. Finally, after four hours, the front desk manager answered my call. As it turned out, though, I received as much assistance and consideration from the voice-mail as I did from her.

She was curt to the point of being rude, uncaring, and showed no desire to assist me in ensuring my check-in would be without issue. Her attitude was elitist and she was completely inflexible in dealing with my credit-card issue, refusing even to accept a cash deposit of an amount in excess of the room-charge as a guarantee there would not be a problem with my credit card.

There was no desire on her part to work with me to overcome the hotel's perceived issue with my credit card. When I suggested several other possible remedies she resorted to simply repeating, "I'm sorry, that is not hotel policy". During the course of the conversation she made a number of illogical statements, and when asked for clarification reverted back to, "I'm sorry, that is (or 'is not') hotel policy". It was like talking to a brick wall.

In the end I decided to patronize a nearby hotel where, though the price was slightly higher, the service was eminently more friendly (they actually worked with me to deal with the credit card issue, and my stay went off without incident).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Hylo b
hssaskatoon, Owner at Hotel Senator Saskatoon, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
I am dismayed at this customer review. We always strive to return customers calls promptly, as we are a small boutique property and we staff one reservation staff per shift. We alway return call promptly, but if we were lacking this time,I do apologize. Now as for the rest of the review, our front desk agent on at this time was very patient with this customer after repeated attempts to talk over and not listen to her. Our policy is to have a deposit (credit card) per room for accommodation in the customers name. Occasionally we will make an exception with a cash deposit. This customer did not want to do either and upon explanation, repeatedly disregarded our front desk agent.

We strive to please everybody, but sometimes it is just not possible I guess. We do have a great staff who have been with us for a long time, and do a fantastic job daily at the Hotel Senator.

Cheers and safe travels...

Chris Beavis
Hotel Senator

Travelers are raving about these Saskatoon hotels

Nipawin, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

excellent hotel, great value, hopefully the rates will not go up! very neat and tidy hotel. rooms are alittle small but very comfortable with a very good bed. new A/C and heating system is very nice and very quiet. beautiful nostalgic hallways that are very wide. big flat screen tv is also a bonus. the attached Winston's English Pub is incredible with it's 60 different beer on tap and a good menu with very tastey food. very nicely renovated. for alittle piece of history I highly recommend The Senator for a pleasant and rewarding stay.

Room Tip: rooms on the second floor are quieter especially if you get one facing the parking lot
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
hssaskatoon, Manager at Hotel Senator Saskatoon, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind review, we are proud of the work we have done at the hotel and restaurants, and are continually working on them to provide a home away from home stay for our guests! Thanks again and safe travels!

Chris Beavis
Owner/Manager
Hotel Senator
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

on a tip from a colleague we went to the senator for breakfast. great meal for $10. (bacon, eggs, toast, coffee, tomatoes/potatoes and juice.) would recommend it rather than at the other hotels.restaurant staff are very pleasant and prompt.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank boxsterbenz
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Needed a room for one night as my normal hotel was booked. The price and location appeared good. Appeared to be a nice older boutique hotel. The room was very dated and very very basic. Supposedly remodeled recently, not sure what they could have done. Decor very old, things are worn, and a sort of funky smell. Would not go back. But the pub on the first floor is very nice - next time return to the pub and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Mission Viejo, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

We chose to eat at the restaurant on Friday night, August 3rd. We chose it because of the location for our brother who liked the "French onion" soup. Since we were in Saskatoon to specifically visit Tom, that is where we would eat. The waiter was wonderful. The chef and the food was unbelievably awful. Two of us ordered the Caesar for two and were told the "bowl was broken so would it be OK to serve it in individual bowls. We were served two extremely small bowls of presumed caesar salad about the size of a dessert dish with copious croutons and several pieces of lettuce- really. The trout which two of us ordered was the size of my "fist"and about as thin as my fist with a blade of a green vegetable and several small potatoes. They had to ask for an extra serving to avoid being hungry all night. What was the chef thinking? Even at that, it was dry. The lobster bisque was the final straw. It was, we were all certain, Campbells tomato soup with a drizzle of cream---no kidding.We are not exaggerating at all. It was an unbelievable experience and I only hope it was an unusual one for that hotel restaurant. Perhaps the cook had the day off and no one had ordered the daily inventory. Honestly. The bill was several hundred $ which was a treat by our older brother. Sadly, he did spend his hard earned money wastefully, although we managed to have a great visit with one another, in spite of the food. The waiter was cute and funny but, I believe, he was also embarrassed. What could he do--except perhaps to have warned us to order meagerly, or, perhaps, what would have been brilliant on his part, to suggest ordering from the pub menu!

Room Tip: Check out the pub menu before you eat an evening meal at the restaurant. Perhaps breakfast is better...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Noreen C
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

You can tell the suites have been recently renovated. New paint, what appears to be new mattresses. Quite clean.

Just keep in mind that this is essentially a "boutique" hotel: Rooms are on the smaller size, doors have real keys and a doorknob lock as opposed to keycards and security chains. The shower is hit-and-miss for temperature, so if you're showering at a popular time be prepared for some surprise scalding/freezing.

Overall a great place to stay for the price and location. Free downtown parking, a desk clerk is available 24 hours a day, and the adjoining pub [Winston's] is great for beer but slightly overpriced for food.

Room Tip: Staying in a second floor room facing the parking lot/alleyway, and it was very quiet at night.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends