“Not bad, not good”
Review of Park Town Hotel

Park Town Hotel
Ranked #9 of 40 Hotels in Saskatoon
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I booked at the Park Town because it was $129, not $159 like the hotel I did want to book at downtown. I should've splurged. Check in was nice. The front counter people were friendly and helpful. The main lobby is nice looking but the hallways/ rooms need updating. The bathroom is very small (and I've been to NYC where the bathrooms are known to be small).
Pros:
- beds are comfy
- fridge
- price
Cons:
- bedspreads are so dated looking
- our key expired after one day, even though booked in for 2. Pain in the BUTT!!!
- asked for a river view when booking and when checking in but got a view of the pool roof
- lots of people smoking outside the doors
- smell of damp, dusty all the time

Room Tip: I don't know, thought I was getting a river view but it sucked
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank wns141
Darryl C, General Manager at Park Town Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear WNS141 thank you for your feedback about your stay at the Parktown Hotel. I am pleased to announce that we are just finishing the final touches on our design for the entire main floor, which includes an open lobby,new front desk, new lounge developement and newer touches to our all day restaurant. This is targeted to begin around Decemeber of this year. As well we continue to focus on our bed product. We will soon be complete in this endeavour, having our own "Dream" bed with triple sheeting and duvets! I wish I could give everyone a great riverview room but that is not possible. We have a large number of riverview rooms but they are not guaranteed by request, although we do try our best. We are also moving smokers away from the hotel, and have already started this process.
Thanks again and hope to see you again at the Parktown Hotel.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

As a return guest and previous employee of the complex I came back to the Park Town for it's location and free parking. This time around I had some overseas guests with me to show around the city for the next three days. Calling to book was a breeze, whoever I spoke to on the phone was pleasant and when she heard I was entertaining people from abroad she ensured that we had an excellent view of the river. Fantastic! A couple of annoyances though: the fact that our bathroom did not have an exhaust fan. It's been a hot, sticky summer and getting out of the shower into an extremely steamy bathroom with no escape...not my favourite. Secondly, and the most disappointing, the fact that they don't accept the chip part of bank/credit cards for payment. As this is a fairly major hotel for Saskatoon, should they not enable this option on their eftpos machines? My guest had been using their credit card throughout Canada with the chip and pin working fine. When swiping at the Park Town didn't work, the front desk person only responded with a cold indifference. We were able to take cash out at the ATM on site to rectify the problem. We just found it annoying that a major hotel would not have this as an option. I'll let the attitude slide. Maybe our front desk attendant was just having a bad day. Overall, a good enough experience for what I was looking for. Would stay again, just bring a different method of payment. Wi-fi was a plus.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CheshCat306

Thank you for the feedback. I just wanted to let you know that we now have the chip technology available throughout the Parktown Hotel.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Nice hotel, good value with clean rooms and friendly staff. Location is great for summer events. Comfortable bed and furnishings, will stay again..

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ZiggySanderson
Reviewed June 14, 2012

My room was nice though cramped (the desk chair impeded access to the dresser or bathroom). The bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillow weights to choose from.

Free wi-fi was a plus, but it was off-line for part of one of my five evenings there. (Front-desk staff were very courteous about getting it fixed promptly.)

Dining room was mediocre: tired French onion soup with too much bread, salad was a huge mound of chopped iceberg lettuce sprinkled with carrots, cabbage and cucumber.

The crudites ordered through rroom service, however, were fresh and plentiful (if unimaginative). Unfortunately, the in-room fridge was too cold and froze them to mush overnight.

Hotel is walking distance to downtown. Beautiful river views.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Wordfiend
Reviewed May 25, 2012

While I think this hotel is a tad overpriced ($145 for 2 queens before tax) considering the age/condition of the rooms compared to others, it is generally a cheaper option for downtown Saskatoon with GREAT views of the river.

This was our second stay, and when we booked we asked for a higher floor with view of the river and that's exactly what we got (forgot the camera so no pics). The room was outdated and bathroom showed quite a few signs of wear, but it was very clean. Beds and pillows both comfortable, small fridge in room was handy as well.

Only had breakfast in the restaurant, but it is one of the best standard bacon and eggs I've had between both Saskatoon and Regina. They actually know how to poach an egg without the cups...which is nice. Service above average at the restaurant. Breakfast was about $8 with coffee extra.

Didn't use any of the other facilities in the hotel, but checked out the Irish Pub accross the street and the off sale and both seemed fine.

Only issue with Parktown was the parking, we came back at about 11:00pm at night on a Friday and the entire lot was full. Had to go to the front desk to report it (not the friendliest person at the desk either) and they gave us a passcode for the underground parking for the night. Inconvenient, but resolved.

Will be back if we need to be in the downtown area, if not we also stay at the Best Western Plus Blairmore in the West end of town.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor on the riverside. There are also 3 rooms I believe on the top floor that have...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sinnayanae
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I stayed at the Park Town while at a conference at U. Saskatchewan from May 10-12. The staff were friendly and accomodating, the room was clean and spacious with an excellent view of the lovely river, and the hotel is walking distance to many major attractions. There's a friendly staff person who'll fetch you from the airport too. On top of all that, the price is very reasonable and if I ever have another chance to visit Saskatoon, or anyone ever asks me where to stay there, the Park Town will be at the top of the list!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a high floor with a view of the lovely Saskatchewan River!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Holly K
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Awesome location awesome view great service!!! Very convenient that
The Irish pub, the Comedy Club and a great restaurant are all located right at the hotel!!! Very nice pool and weight facilities all for a good price making it great value. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2012