“Good but could be Great !”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Bessborough
Ranked #15 of 41 Hotels in Saskatoon
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights in the magnificent former CN hotel on the South Saskatchewan River in the heart of downtown Saskatoon in early September. This historic building is another of the classic Canadian railway hotel which remind us of an era of grandeur from former days. Too bad the maintenance of the rooms are not up to the expectation of its former glory - paint peeling off the bath tub for example. A/C unit on the roof is an eye sore to this marvel of Canadian 1930 s Architecture. Rooms, however are clean, very comfortable and spacious. Was asked to change rooms part way through our stay, which was a bit of a hassle but otherwise was very impressed with the place. Location is great and if I am in Saskatoon, would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room with view of the South Saskatchewan River
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
gmABTDeltaBES, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Bessborough, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear skibumal, Thank you for sharing your comments. We are in the process of addressing the issue with the adherence of the bathtub finish and will have a solution in due course. Of course the rooftop cooling units are a necessary albeit unfortunate addition to all heritage buildings. I am glad to see that overall you were impressed and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed here one night in August. The hotel is beautiful but the real reason to stay is the service. From the concierge, to the front desk staff to the room service waiter, everyone was super helpful and super friendly. I was very impressed.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Pat Y
gmABTDeltaBES, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Bessborough, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear Pat Y, Thank you for your kind words and your recognition of the staff. You are absolutely right; even the most beautiful of hotels relies on its staff to create a great guest experience.

Best Regards,

Reviewed September 4, 2013

From the moment you arrive, location, location, location. Waterfront, in the heart of downtown, great overall impression of Saskatoon. Smiles all around, heritage & personality. Very comfortable stay, calm, cool decor, Amenities, service. Attention to detail. I would have bought the pillow that said Delta Bess.
if I had that colour scheme in my home. Really appreciated the front staff fixing our little oops that happened with the parking. We especially enjoyed the park like setting to walk in the evening.

Room Tip: We were on the business floor, it served us well.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
gmABTDeltaBES, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Bessborough, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Dear Floralfriend, Thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community. Your comments are greatly appreciated by all.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was my 3rd stay at the Delta Bessborough. I've now stayed 4 hotels in Saskatoon, and this is my favourite. I stayed here for 6 nights in August, when the hotel had a full house due to weddings and a large convention.

The majority of the Front Desk employees were extremely courteous and helpful. One Front Desk employee came across as somewhat unhelpful and somewhat less than courteous.

I prefer the rooms furthest down the hall, preferably on the southern-most side of the hotel. There is a bit of an issue with the air circulation in the river-facing rooms on the lower floors closes to the parking lot. When anyone smoked outside near the parking lot, the cigarette smoke was taken into the air intake vent (on the north side of the building) and seemed to end up in my room if the air conditioner or fan were on. Unfortunately, it was too hot to leave window open and the AC off, so I often woke up to a somewhat stinky room. I'm hoping the hotel will post signs to discourage people from smoking near the air intake.

The beds were very comfortable, and the cleaning staff does a wonderful job keeping the hotel very clean.

Special thanks to Joe at the Front Destk who made my stay very pleasant, overall. The doormen and security guards were very courteous, as well. Our server at breakfast was very nice.

Room Tip: Riverside, southern-most rooms on 4th floor or higher are the best.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank phoenikia

Dear phoenikia, Thank you for posting your review. You can be sure that I will pass on your thanks to all and to Joe in particular.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I were there for several consecutive days of conferencing. Our room was beautifully updated and well-appointed. The ambience, venue rooms and other facilities in the hotel were fine, however we both thought the quality of the food served at breakfast and lunch buffets (except for an evening sit-down dinner) could have been improved..

Room Tip: Suites facing the river might be a tad quieter, but we were in a room facing the street and there wa...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear Danylo46, Thank you for sharing your observations. I am pleased that you for the recent room renovations to your liking. I do note your comment about meals and will review them with our Executive Chef.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Bessborough Delta is a typical former CN-CP hotel. It is well situated, right on the river and close to restaurants and shopping. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel was extremely busy when we were there and it appeared management may not have scheduled enough room service staff. We spent 4 nights and on one particular day, when i came back to the room around 4:00 pm after a long day of activities and looking forward to an opportunity to rest before dinner, i found our room had not been cleaned yet. I do not think this is acceptable for this type of establishment.
The room was small but well appointed with excellent pillows, bedding and linen. The AC was quiet and our room was in the back, affording a beautiful view of the grounds and river.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear MonctonCanucks, Thank you for your kind review; I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed the central location and the river view. Rooms are cleaned over the course of an eight hour day however priority is normally given to rooms of guests staying over from the previous night. I am sorry to learn that was not the case on one night of your stay.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Bessborough is one of Canada's grand legacy railway hotels, built at the height of the great depression in the 1930's. Since Delta has managed the property they have done a commendable job of restoring and renovating the hotel. It is situated in a park which backs right onto the Saskatchewan River, easy walking distance to most attractions in downtown Saskatoon.
One drawback is parking, there are 2 suface lots on either side of the hotel but if there is an event on in the hotel they will likely be full so you will have to valet park your car. We understand there is a nice Japanese restaurant in the hotel but we were ignored when we showed up at the entrance, and after waiting around for 5-10 minutes we left and went to the bar where we had wine and sushi. There is a decent fitness centre and pool with a nice deck facing the river park and hotel gardens. We were there 2 nights but on the second night after being out visiting friends when we returned to the hotel the lots were full and there was a huge event on in one of the function rooms on the 2nd floor. Unfortunately our room was directly above that and the music was so loud it was literally shaking the building. This went on until well after midnight. Call me crazy but at that hour most people in a hotel at that hour are likely trying to sleep. Not here, as well it seemed many of the party goers were staying in the hotel so there were hotel doors opening and closing well into the night. When I called the front desk they asked if I wanted to move but at midnight after being there 2 days that didn't seem like a great idea. So if you stay there ask for a room on the 4-5th floor away from the party rooms.

Room Tip: Higher room away from the party rooms if there is an event going on. Some rooms have bay windows whi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear nexxen_11, Thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed the property but sorry that all aspects of your stay were not as they should have been. I hope you will accept our apologies. I believe the parking shortage was caused by the cities Fireworks Festival the weekend of your stay. We have strict protocols regarding the volume, use of bass and end times for music at weddings. I will review why they were not adhered to on this occasion.

Andrew Turnbull, General Manager