“excellent evening out” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Willow On Wascana

The Willow On Wascana
Ranked #36 of 561 Restaurants in Regina
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Scenic view, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Willow on Wascana has been a part of Regina life since 2004. We pride ourselves on the amazing and quite surprising bounty this great province has to offer. From every grain under the sun to the most flavorful vegetables you have ever tasted. We even have fresh fruit growing in the valley. The willow has worked very hard with countless families and individuals skilled in the art form known as farming. From our major meat supplier, Pine View Farms in Osler supplying us with an array of all farm animals. Our wild boar family Schneider Farm just 15 minutes outside of Regina. Local eggs, local flour and now even a local cheese artist. Our amazing produce from Heliotrope Farm in Craven, you name it chances are they grow it. All these great things we enjoy so much and transform into our own culinary masterpieces, and just picked fresh right out of the backyard. From Farm to Table, let's face it, that's the way it should be. Cheers, Chef Tim Davies
Regina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“excellent evening out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I went to the Willows for our anniversary Saturday. It was an absolutely delightful experience. I had the trout steak and short ribs for my husband. The waiter suggested appropriate wine pairings for each of us. We both thought our food experiences were a 5 out of 5! We would definitely go again. Ending the evening with a walk around Wascana Lake with the lights on the water made it a wonderful evening. Thank you for the excellent and unique location and most of all, a locally created restaurant which uses fresh ingredients with outstanding taste.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Laureen P

“"TERRIBLE Service"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

I’ve recently moved to Regina from Calgary, where my boyfriend and I made it a habit to try as many different restaurants and foods as possible. While I am not big on writing reviews, our experience at the Willow was so disappointing, that I had to share.

First of all, we sat outside. The patio, while it had a great view, looked like someone's garage. There was a pressure washer, gas cans, and other large items that shouldn't have been on the patio, out in the open. It hadn't been cleaned up at all.

I had made a reservation. While we didn’t have to wait to be seated, we did wait almost 20 minutes before anyone greeted us. That alone would usually be enough reason to get up and leave but the view was great and we had heard good things. When we finally were greeted, we waited another 10 minutes for our drinks, and were finally given the opportunity to order appetizers. About 15 minutes later, our server came back and asked us what we had ordered. He hadn’t put our order through, as he couldn’t even remember what we had ordered.

Our appetizer, when it finally arrived, was actually very good. For our mains, I ordered the steak that was on special, and my boyfriend ordered the bison. The bison was ok, not great. My $36 steak was full of gristle, and I only had a couple of bites before calling it quits. When I mentioned to the server that the steak was terrible (she could see that almost nothing had been eaten when she took it away), nothing was done about it. In the meantime, my boyfriend had to ask for another beer three times before it finally arrived. We did not order desert, as we had already been there for two hours.

All in all, great view, but it might be the worst service I’ve ever received. We didn’t bother making a complaint, as there didn’t even seem to be a manager working. We will not be going back.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ashley H
DaveBurkeOwner, Owner at The Willow On Wascana, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Ashley, my name is Dave Burke and I am the owner of The Willow on Wascana, I just recieved your review on Trip Advisor and I can not say sorry enough! I have left you a voice mail ( I think I found the right reservation? ) and would love to discuss how we can make it right by you both... The experience that you had is by no means typical... the last thing I want to do is make excuses and we would love the opportunity to make it right by you... if that means reimbursing you in full for the night or better yet having you join us again, with our compliments, to see what it is we strive to do... either way please accept our apologies... I have spoken with our team and they to are torn up that your experience happened... we are discussing the events of the night to ensure it does not so easily happen again... thank you so much for your honest review! it is ofeten the only way we know when we drop the ball... please feel free to contact me directly 306 535 5334
Regina Sasktachewan
“OMG”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

What a pretentious, overpriced rip-off.

First visit with my workmates they overcharged two people by 100% for wine. Food portions were very mediocre but taste and presentation was good.
Second time my "fresh" pulled port pancakes were frozen in the middle. The waitress took my food away, heated up what was left of my meal and didn't bring it back to me until after my dining parter had finished their meal. no apology, no explanation. The last time i went their with my family just for a drink and we had three pop and one water and gave the waiter $20 and he didnt give any change. i had to ask for my change and he was pretty miffed that i didnt give him a $11 tip. Never again!

Visited June 2012
DaveBurkeOwner, Owner at The Willow On Wascana, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Wow... that does not sound like us at all, I am so unbelievably sorry that this was your experience with us. We take great pride in our food and service and very rarely has anything like this happened... feel free to contact me directly if you wish to discuss further
“Wine to match”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

If you are in the market for having food prepared with a top notch chef who works with his sommelier to match daily offerings with the wine list then this is the place for you. In an industry where high end restaurants can suffer from a clash of ego it is refreshing to see how effective and fun a true partnership between wine and food can be. Front man Dave Burke (sommelier) has created an elegant and fun atmosphere for foodies to enjoy their wine and food pairings and Chef Tim has done an outstanding job in adding creative and outstanding food choices to the Regina market. Land Chowder soup is fantastic as are the three lil pigs.

I am a huge fan of the chef's choice and having the restaurant match a flight of wine with same. Price is a little on the high side for the Regina market but I find the value is tremendous.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Best view in Regina”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

Besides excellent and unusual menu items, all beautifully prepared and presented, this is the best located restaurant in the city. On either a warm summer evening on the deck or a cold winter night from a window table, you always have lots to look at.

Visited October 2012