“Beautiful, Clean, Quiet Rooms”

Wingate by Wyndham Regina
Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in Regina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reasonenough
“Beautiful, Clean, Quiet Rooms”
Reviewed November 29, 2010

My husband and I chose the Wyngate as our hotel for our wedding night and were not disappointed. The hotel upgraded our room when the found out we had just gotten married!

The staff was courteous and friendly. Always smiling and willing to lend a hand.

The room was beautiful and spacious, the hotel is one of Regina's newest and you can tell in both decor and upkeep. The room was tastefully decorated, and not at all dated. I would actually say the hotel is trendy, which is odd for most hotels who have ugly print bedspreads that we are all used to. The bed was to die for, we slept fantastically, very comfortable and the curtains will let no trace of sunlight in if you want to sleep in.

The continental breakfast was good with a lot of variety. My husband is a big breakfast person and he was pleased with the selection. I prefer a light breakfast and there was yogurt and muffins for me.

My only caveat would be the parking. The hotel is right on one of Regina's busiest downtown street and there is very few parking spots allocated specifically for hotel guests and with it being a downtown hotel parking can be pricey and a bit of a pain.

But of things that they are able to control (seeing as the city only has so much space for parking downtown) they get an A from me.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Lloydminster, Canada
Reviewed November 1, 2010

I spent two weeks here in October and quite enjoyed the hotel. The rooms are very new and quite modern. The staff was super friendly and helpful. One even called around to find myself and a co-worker a cab during the blizzard that hit. Yes, we were dumb enough to decide a hockey game sounded like a good idea during a blizzard.The rooms are super clean and very spacious. They feature a fullsized couch in a seating area, that is away from the bed area.

Now I did have a few problems with the hotel. My biggest complaint is their lack of a gift shop. Granted, the more pricey, upscale Delta next door lacks one as well. Perhaps that is a common theme in Regina. Regardless, finding a Regina newspaper was difficult. A second complaint was someone (possibly a coworker playing a prank I'm not sure) stole my do not disturb sign off the front of my door one night. The cleaning staff never did replace it. I did not ask for a new either, so I can share the blame in this one.

Since I stayed over a weekend, when I did not have to work, I do tend to sleep in. So I had my do not disturb sign (while I still had one) on my door. When I got up and ventured out of the hotel I took it off. When I returned I noticed the room hadn't been cleaned. I took a shower and put the sign back up. When I was dressed I took the sign off the door as I heard the cleaning staff down the hall. They skipped my room and never did clean it that day.

My other complaint is that they needed to use thicker windows when they built the place. The noise off of Broad Street is quite loud. I have lived on busy streets before and never had the same problem with noise that I did there. Plus since it is only a block or two from the police station, sirens at all hours of the night were common place. I heard from coworkers who had rooms that faced the parkade that noise wasn't a problem for them. So a small tip is to ask for a room that faces the rear of the hotel.

Since I am also a late sleeper, I did not experience the hotel's hot continental breakfast. I heard from a coworker that I wasn't missing anything. He claimed that every bagel he picked up had blue mold growing on it. Now since I didn't witness it, I couldn't say for sure whether he was picking up a blueberry bagel and mistook it for mold or whether it was truly mold.

The nice thing about the breakfast area is the staff had no problems with people turning it into a bit of a lounge at night. No alcohol of course, but they had no problems with people ordering a pizza and turning the TV to the hockey game in the evening. My coworkers did that nearly every night, can't say I joined them each night, but I could have.

Now the best part of the hotel is that they remembered me. I had checked out last Thursday and called this morning because I needed a receipt faxed to me at the office. When I gave my name, the girl who answered the phone said oh I remember you. How was your trip back (to my city)? I recognized the voice, so I believe she was genuinely remembering me, and not just reading the info off the screen. So that is what I call customer service. Next time I am in Regina, I will definitely stay at the Wingate.

My Mom was at a different conference while I was there and stayed next door at the Delta. The differences between the Wingate and the Delta were startling. From what I saw, the Wingate beats the Delta hands down. I'd save the $50 and go out for a nice supper or something and stay at the Wingate. Friendly staff, large rooms and a decent location for all things in the downtown core.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Spent a couple of nights there this week...2 separate stays. The big, clean rooms, friendly staff and superior service are what stood out for us.
Some street noise...large bus depot directly across the street makes for a concrete canyon and the noise seems to travel upward. Normal traffic sounds were muted, hardly noticeable. What we did hear were the vehicles with loud mufflers accelerating hard.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed October 15, 2010

Stayed two nights, rooms were wonderful and lots of space...Would Highly recommend
to anyone visiting...just across from Casino as well. Beautiful breakfast.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
B.C.
Reviewed September 21, 2010

It was almost midnight and there was some annoying construction sounds. I went to the front desk to ask if they had ear plugs. The clerk looked around for ear plugs, called someone then told me 10 min later that they can`t do anything for me- why don`t I sleep with the radio or TV on... what about an ipod. hmmmm... If those things would work, wouldn`t I be sleeping instead of at the front desk at midnight

The fitness center has 4 pieces of equipment and the treadmill was broken. While we were here, the water was shut off for a few hours. Wireless internet is annoyingly slow most times. I rated value low because I am having trouble sleeping and to me, that is the only reason I am at a hotel.

Things are not terrible here (room, breakfast etc) but will not stay here again as there are many other wonderful options in Regina. Recommend the Dragons Nest B&B. They cost less, have beautiful rooms, gorgeous breakfasts and friendly, thoughtful service.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank love-Canada-forever
toronto
Reviewed August 7, 2010

This was our third stop on our trip from Vancouver to Quebec, I checked of course trip advisor and was not unhappy. Great Choice , Huge Clean Modern room with King bed pullout comfortable Sofa Bed, LCD TV , Business Desk , Microwave , Fridge .
We were pleasantly surprized very happy with our choice of the Wingate, location is about 5 min from the main Cornwall Shopping Mall, Tim Hortons next door, you dont really need it because there breakfast room is large comfortable lots of choices eggs,sausage,toast,english muffins,muffins fresh waffles ,fruit, too much to name 'great'
Would definitely return

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Parksville, Canada
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I've never written a review before, but the housekeeping at this place was something I have to comment about. We were there four nights, and the housekeeping was horrible. We had used coffee cups not cleaned up by housekeeping, bathroom supplies not replaced, and on arrival had to ask for bathroom supplies - which were literally dumped in a pile on the counter! The dust on the outside of the room door was so thick I wrote in it hoping they would wash it, but they didn't. The walls and doors were very thin so we were able to hear low conversations in the rooms to either side of us. The whirlpool was out of order etc etc. And this is a new hotel! Won't be back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple