“A great new hotel in Regina”

Wingate by Wyndham Regina
Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in Regina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Saskatoon, Canada
“A great new hotel in Regina”
Reviewed May 9, 2009

I stayed at the Wingate for a night while in Regina for a conference and was very impressed. My room was large and very attractively decorated - granite countertops in the bathroom and coffee area, 2 phones, good beds. The location is very central, near the Cornwall shopping centre and Casino Regina. A good buffet breakfast that includes hot items is included.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Toronto, ON
Reviewed April 21, 2009

The room was very well equipped with all the little touches to make a pleasant stay. Its central location made getting around town convenient. We enjoyed a surprisingly well-prepared continental breakfast each morning that featured eggs and meat together with a variety of toasts and rolls plus a waffle maker. Overall, we were very comfortable and would recommend it to anyone. The only thing missing was an in-house restaurant, but there are several close by.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
New Westminster, Canada
Reviewed November 6, 2008

I was in Regina for business and the function I was attending was at the Delta but I made my reservation too late and they were full, but they recommended the Wingate which is next door to the Delta.
LOVED it. I travel all the time for work and I have to say this is one of the best hotels I've stayed in.
The room are very spacious, clean and comfortable. Comfortable beds/pillow/sheets/etc.
Free internet in the room and also free breakfast which was nice.
Staff was OK...not overly friendly but not rude either.
I will always try to stay at the Wingate whenever I'm in town.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank thestubesyvr
Toronto
Reviewed November 2, 2008

I noticed this place was being built the last time I was in Regina and figured I'd give it a try. What a mistake. Hotels serve many purposes but the main reason people need a hotel is for a place to sleep. This is not a good place to sleep. The traffic noise is terrible! After a sleepless first night I got a room on the other side of the hotel away from the street. It wasn't much better. Maybe if the hotel was taller, you'd have a chance of being away from the noise. But the elevator is so slow, the last thing this place needs is more floors.

The views are nothing special. The one side overlooked a construction site and the other faced a parkade and another much larger hotel. Nothing beats looking out your window and having a bunch of business guys on their smoke break staring back at you from a parkade. So you pretty much need the curtains closed all the time which makes the room feel like a prison. It's great encouragement to get out of the hotel to see Regina though.

The staff is ok, but understandably seemed a little peeved that I wanted moved. But from the way they talked, this wasn't an uncommon request.

The rooms. They are new. And the colour scheme is... bold. I'm trying to be as nice on this part as I can. Maybe it's just me but dark coloured walls don't help me unwind.

Food. The breakfast is fine if all you want is rudimentary fare. Otherwise, and for other meals, you are on your own to scout out something better at the restaurants and hotels nearby. Personally, I'll skip the "free" breakfast and gladly pay for something better.

As mentioned earlier, the whirlpool is not in service and hasn't been since it opened in february or something. That just seems peculiar. The lobby is nicely decorated.

I tried to be as nice as I could here, but three days of poor sleep left me pretty miserable after my stay here.

• Liked — The outside and lobby looks nice
  • Disliked — Noise, ugly views
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank Gabronk
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 22, 2008

I was looking for an easily accessible hotel in the heart of Regina, and the Wingate Hotel fit the bill perfectly.

Rooms: Very spacious, clean, and comfortable with pleasant decor. You get a free newspaper everyday and free wireless internet which is an added bonus. We had a single king room with a small business centre. It comes with a mini fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. There is a large 32" LCD TV too, but the pay per view movies are $12.99 each so we decided not to order one. There is also an iron with an ironing board. However, our room faced Broad Street so it was a bit noisy but hardly noticeable at night.

Location: Great location, right around the corner from Casino Regina and from the Cornwall Mall. Close to the airport and to the RCMP Training Academy. Taxis know where it is so it was easy for us to get around. Oh, there is a new Tim Hortons just down the block from us which we visited frequently.

Amenities: They offer you a free breakfast from 6-10am, but I was unfortunately not able to try it out since I never got out of bed in time! I was told it was delicious though. They have a whirlpool room ready to go, but it isn't working. I asked why and the front desk agent said they have to get approval from the City first. They have a small gym too but I never used it. Also have meeting rooms since this hotel caters towards business travelers. There isn't a restaurant attached to the hotel but you can easily go to a place nearby.

Service: I received very good service by all staff, housecleaning and front desk. They allowed me to store my luggage in a storage room before I checked in and after I checked out. They allowed us to have a late check out at noon which we were grateful for. Oh, the elevators were incredibly slow though!

Price: Very affordable, but we got a discount due to the Cadet Rates they offer. This is a no frills hotel, but still very pleasant. The free breakfast itself makes up for it, along with the free internet.

I recommend this hotel if location is important to you, an affordable price, and want free breakfast and wireless internet. Great job Wingate!

• Liked — Clean Rooms, Free Internet and Breakfast, Great Location, Great Service
  • Disliked — Whirlpool not working, slow elevators
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SportsGal
Assiniboia, Canada
Reviewed September 23, 2008

Brand new hotel that is a business traveller's dream. Right in the heart of downtown Regina, the Wingate is close to everything, while still maintaing a homey-type of a feel. Very modern decor, spacious rooms, and a great breakfast. Only downside: parking.

Stayed September 2008
New York City
Reviewed September 20, 2008

Traveled to Regina on business and needed a centrally located clean hotel for one night -- the Wingate fit the bill. It's got a great location and has free wireless internet, free breakfast, and very comfortable, spacious rooms. It's not a resort, but a good place to feel safe, comfortable, and relaxed when traveling. The parking is extra but not very expensive. I stayed in a room facing Broad Street which was noisy due to traffic through the night. I was able to sleep, but light sleepers should be aware.

• Liked — Clean and Free Internet
  • Disliked — Noise in room from Broad Street -- not terrible but a bit annoying
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business