“Excellent Service and Quality - Great Hotel”

Wingate by Wyndham Regina
Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in Regina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Saskatoon, Canada
“Excellent Service and Quality - Great Hotel”
Reviewed March 21, 2011

This is a great hotel, the front desk staff are always friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and quiet with everything you need when travelling, including high speed internet.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2011

I had to travel to Regina on a business trip. Had previously stayed at the Holiday Inn Express down the street from the Wingate, and was planning on staying there again this time. However some coworkers convinced me and another coworker that the Wingate was a much nicer hotel and we decided (based on reviews on Trip advisor and their website pictures) to stay at the Wingate.
BIG mistake! I can't believe that people say the housekeeping was good. Not one of the 5 coworkers had a properly cleaned room for the whole week we were there. I asked all of them and 3 were guys.
My room and the coworkers who was next to mine, was dusty. That is all we noticed for the first night as the decoration of the room and hotel throws you off. It is nice looking on the surface at a distance!
So I had a nice relaxing bubble bath on the first after I had been out and about. Got up went to my meeting. The next day when I came back the tub had not been cleaned, as there were still some bubbles left on the back of the tub. So I started to look around a bit closer and noticed that the floor had not even been swept! Which also meant it hadn't been mopped! They never vacuumed the whole time I was there. How did I notice. I have brown hair and tend to lose a bit of it as I am blow drying it. Well there on the light colored floor were my hairs from the morining. I also noticed the desk and nightstand were still dusty. So I called my coworker. She said she had just got of the phone with housekeeping as her room was still dusty/dirty too. She made them dust everything down as she is allergic to dust. I called them too. We both had a bad sleep the first night there. The housekeeping did not improve even after we had complained. I even told them I had moved from the Holiday Inn to come here and was disappointed! I have to go back to Regina again and will NOT be staying here.
I am not an overly fussy person either but it left me really grossed out wondering how good they had cleaned the tub and room after the persons before me.

The front end staff were helpful and mostly friendly. The breakfast was ok, the eggs and sauage got cold fast, so if you stay I recomend taking the time to make a waffle, at least they will be hot. They had cereal hot/cold, fruit, cheese, variety of breads, waffles, bagels, eggs, bacon or sausage, coffee, tea, hot choclate, and a variety of toast spreads. We did ask the kitchen staff if she could make bacon one day instead of the sauage and she did. She then also asked if we wanted bacon again the next day, said she still had some from the day before.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank itsmewhoelse
WingateRegina, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Regina, responded to this review, March 10, 2011
Thank you for taking the time from your busy schedule to post a review of your stay with us.

I wish you had reported the above issues to a manager when they were initially discovered as cleanliness in general is of utmost importance to us. The housekeeping manager or a manager would have gone up immediately with you and the room attendant who had prepared your room. Of course our guest's personal privacy and items are never touched by our room attendants so sometimes dusting can be an issue as I'm sure you would appreciate. Unfortunately it may have also been some lint from our dusting cloths which was left behind and for that we sincerely apologize for the apparent appearance of dust.

I am glad to know that your desired breakfast menu requests were met by our breakfast bar staff and enjoyed by all.
Fort Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed January 31, 2011

The hotel was nice, modern and clean. They have a very good hot continental breakfast in the morning. Great location. Front desk staff was not very good. We were told check in time was 3pm. We got there at 4:30pm and were told that our room was not ready but should be within an hour or so. They did not apologize for the inconvenience or seem to care at all. They acted as if this happens all the time and just deal with it. When we came back an hour later, we still had to wait another 15-20mins before our room was ready. We were not very happy about this at all! Also, they do not have free parking. They have a parking lot, but you have to pay/day to park there. That is ridiculous. They tried telling us that you have to pay for parking at all hotels in Regina, but we have also stayed at the Regina Inn (which is a nicer hotel) and did not have to pay for parking.

We were booked in for 3 nights and after the 3rd night, we asked the front desk if our room was available to book for one extra night. We were informed that yes it was available, but since the hotel was busy (but obviously not full) it would cost us over double the price that we paid/night for the room for the past 3 nights??!! How does that make sense. It was already late morning (on a Wednesday) and they tried increasing our rate by that much? Needless to say, we did not stay another night.

Besides the front desk staff that we dealt with, the room was great. The hotel is nice, and in a great location, so that is the only reason we would ever stay there again (if we ever do).

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Had a great stay here. Breakfast was good, hotel was clean and rooms were clean.

• Stayed January 2011
Reasonenough
Reviewed November 29, 2010

My husband and I chose the Wyngate as our hotel for our wedding night and were not disappointed. The hotel upgraded our room when the found out we had just gotten married!

The staff was courteous and friendly. Always smiling and willing to lend a hand.

The room was beautiful and spacious, the hotel is one of Regina's newest and you can tell in both decor and upkeep. The room was tastefully decorated, and not at all dated. I would actually say the hotel is trendy, which is odd for most hotels who have ugly print bedspreads that we are all used to. The bed was to die for, we slept fantastically, very comfortable and the curtains will let no trace of sunlight in if you want to sleep in.

The continental breakfast was good with a lot of variety. My husband is a big breakfast person and he was pleased with the selection. I prefer a light breakfast and there was yogurt and muffins for me.

My only caveat would be the parking. The hotel is right on one of Regina's busiest downtown street and there is very few parking spots allocated specifically for hotel guests and with it being a downtown hotel parking can be pricey and a bit of a pain.

But of things that they are able to control (seeing as the city only has so much space for parking downtown) they get an A from me.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Lloydminster, Canada
Reviewed November 1, 2010

I spent two weeks here in October and quite enjoyed the hotel. The rooms are very new and quite modern. The staff was super friendly and helpful. One even called around to find myself and a co-worker a cab during the blizzard that hit. Yes, we were dumb enough to decide a hockey game sounded like a good idea during a blizzard.The rooms are super clean and very spacious. They feature a fullsized couch in a seating area, that is away from the bed area.

Now I did have a few problems with the hotel. My biggest complaint is their lack of a gift shop. Granted, the more pricey, upscale Delta next door lacks one as well. Perhaps that is a common theme in Regina. Regardless, finding a Regina newspaper was difficult. A second complaint was someone (possibly a coworker playing a prank I'm not sure) stole my do not disturb sign off the front of my door one night. The cleaning staff never did replace it. I did not ask for a new either, so I can share the blame in this one.

Since I stayed over a weekend, when I did not have to work, I do tend to sleep in. So I had my do not disturb sign (while I still had one) on my door. When I got up and ventured out of the hotel I took it off. When I returned I noticed the room hadn't been cleaned. I took a shower and put the sign back up. When I was dressed I took the sign off the door as I heard the cleaning staff down the hall. They skipped my room and never did clean it that day.

My other complaint is that they needed to use thicker windows when they built the place. The noise off of Broad Street is quite loud. I have lived on busy streets before and never had the same problem with noise that I did there. Plus since it is only a block or two from the police station, sirens at all hours of the night were common place. I heard from coworkers who had rooms that faced the parkade that noise wasn't a problem for them. So a small tip is to ask for a room that faces the rear of the hotel.

Since I am also a late sleeper, I did not experience the hotel's hot continental breakfast. I heard from a coworker that I wasn't missing anything. He claimed that every bagel he picked up had blue mold growing on it. Now since I didn't witness it, I couldn't say for sure whether he was picking up a blueberry bagel and mistook it for mold or whether it was truly mold.

The nice thing about the breakfast area is the staff had no problems with people turning it into a bit of a lounge at night. No alcohol of course, but they had no problems with people ordering a pizza and turning the TV to the hockey game in the evening. My coworkers did that nearly every night, can't say I joined them each night, but I could have.

Now the best part of the hotel is that they remembered me. I had checked out last Thursday and called this morning because I needed a receipt faxed to me at the office. When I gave my name, the girl who answered the phone said oh I remember you. How was your trip back (to my city)? I recognized the voice, so I believe she was genuinely remembering me, and not just reading the info off the screen. So that is what I call customer service. Next time I am in Regina, I will definitely stay at the Wingate.

My Mom was at a different conference while I was there and stayed next door at the Delta. The differences between the Wingate and the Delta were startling. From what I saw, the Wingate beats the Delta hands down. I'd save the $50 and go out for a nice supper or something and stay at the Wingate. Friendly staff, large rooms and a decent location for all things in the downtown core.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Spent a couple of nights there this week...2 separate stays. The big, clean rooms, friendly staff and superior service are what stood out for us.
Some street noise...large bus depot directly across the street makes for a concrete canyon and the noise seems to travel upward. Normal traffic sounds were muted, hardly noticeable. What we did hear were the vehicles with loud mufflers accelerating hard.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business