“Competition for Hotel Sask”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Conference Centre Regina
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Regina
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Spent 10 days here in chilly February. The rooms are large and comfortable although the bathrooms are small. The hotel has been modernized but the layout hasn't changed. They have done the best they can with the space they have. There is plenty of counter and shelf space and I loved the large shower even if I had to walk around the toilet to get into it. Nice thick, big bath towels and comfy bathrobe. Good shower head height, good water pressure and Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries to finish it off.
The room had a mini fridge and a keurig coffee maker. These new commercial grade single serve coffee makers actually heat the water enough for a good cup of coffee or tea and I don't generally like coffee maker tea. I would prefer china coffee cups and real wine glasses but a trip to the restaurant resolved that issue.
Great housekeeping staff and the room was kept clean and tidy and water was replenished daily. The only problem I had in the room was the heating. It was either too hot or too cold and so very dry. I had a portable humidifier with me but I still had problems. Maintenance came up one day to try to fix the issue but not sure what they can do about lack of humidity in the cold, dry winters.
Gym was large, airy and well equipped although some kleenex in there would be nice.
I ate at the restaurant, bar and room service. Food was always good and staff friendly and attentive. Prices are a little on the high side especially for dessert but since I usually stay at Hotel Sask, this was not a surprise.
Wifi was strong and reliable anywhere in the room. Outlets on the lamp by the bed allow for overnight charging of phones.
A few things I would like to see: china cups, wine glasses, microwave, list of local restaurants in room(especially those that deliver), local shuttle.
Can't wait to come back in the summer and enjoy the balcony.
My comparison between Hotel Sask and Doubletree: DT rooms are larger, bathrooms have more shelf & counter space and I like the single shower as opposed to bathtub/shower at the Sask. Also love C&E toiletries. Always hated Hotel Sask toiletries. Where the Sask has DT beat is having a Spa on site (and a good one), the ambiance of the lobby and the comfort of the lounge. As a travelling business woman I spend a lot of evenings on my own and always feel comfortable in the lounge at Hotel Sask. DT lounge is not as inviting. Hotel Sask also has a local shuttle which is great for those -30C days. Can't go wrong with either hotel and will be interesting to see what changes are in store for Hotel Sask with the most recent ownership change.
For me the final decision will come down to price since the company is paying. If the 2 remain competitive, I will be choosing DoubleTree.

2  Thank MapleRes
mike w, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Conference Centre Regina, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Mapleres...thanks so much for your kind comments about your recent stayat the DoubleTree by Hilton Regina! I truly appreciate all of your input and we are trying to get better everyday as we have been open just over 90 days.I will pass on your comments to my Kitchen, Housekeeping and Waitstaff. We do get many comments on the Crabtree and Evelyn amenities so thanks for that! Great idea on having local dining options listed, will pass along to my Front Office crew.

Hope to see you soon

Reviewed February 22, 2014

This is the first time I have stayed at this Double Tree hotel since it came under new management. The changes have modernised the rooms and lobby and have made it a very comfortable place to stay when I come to Regina for business. It is well located in the downtown area and close to most amenities I typically access.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
mike w, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Conference Centre Regina, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Andrew M
Thanks so much for taking the time to send a note on on Tripadvisor for your recent stay with us here in Regina! I hope we met all your business needs and we are looking forward to rolling out some new menu offerings in March in Wild Sage! Hope to see you back here soon.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Nice and clean hotel, convenient location, with good restaurant and underground parking (with additional charge thought). No indoor swimming pool. But overall good experience after 2 day business stay.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
mike w, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Conference Centre Regina, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Bartosz B thanks so much for your kind words regarding your recent stay at the Newly Renovated Doubletree by Hilton Regina! We hope to see you many times in 2014.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

I've just spent three weeks staying at this Hotel while working in Regina. Excellent attentive Staff, great room with plenty of space and extremely comfortable and spacious facilities made this a great hotel. My thanks to all the staff for making me feel as comfortable as possible while being away from home. As a location for training in the Conference Centre first class. Oh and the Ricards Seasonal in the bar went down a treat.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Alvin G thanks very much for your kind words on our Hotel and especially about my associates. I will be sure they are made aware of those comments. If your travels bring you back to Regina any time soon we will have a cold Rikards waiting for you! Be Well

Reviewed February 14, 2014

I love this place, friendly staff all around good people! Indoor parking and onsite restaurant on a cold winter business trip are priceless. I will definitely stay here on future trips to Regina. I think I tried every item on the menu in the restaurant any recommend the burgers with a pilsner!

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

John H thanks for your kind words for my associates! They do ROCK! Now you have to try our Pizza and Beer (Mus Knuckle) special on Monday's and Tuesday's for $10.00 its a great deal and the pizza's are awesome! See you soon!

Reviewed February 12, 2014

I stayed at the Doubletree in Regina, Saskatchewan from January 26 to February 7, 2014. The weather ranged from -7F to -34 during my stay so I was mostly limited to the hotel itself, that is, I didn't get out much. A stay of this length under these circumstances should have been maddening, but it was fantastic.

The hotel had a nice workout facility featuring treadmills with individual televisions attached. I worked out every day. When I had an issue with a treadmill and called the front desk, someone arrive to attend to it within minutes.

The food in the Wild Sage Restaurant was much better than most. On Sunday and Monday nights they have a pizza special where $10 buys you an extraordinary pizza and a local brew. Each pizza comes with 4 containers including chipotle mayonnaise, red pepper, parmesan cheese and a garlic aioli. The menu sports a variety of higher-end choices ranging from $15 to $25. I had almost everything over the 2 weeks, they were all excellent.

I am a Hilton Diamond member, I stayed in Hilton hotels 89 nights in 2013. The staff of this Doubletree is the best I've encountered in any hotel anywhere. I was first struck by the customer service provided in the restaurant by servers Nina and Erin.They were professional, fast and loaded with charisma. They made eating alone night after night feel like home.

The hotel also had a staff member stand at the front door each morning to greet all who entered the hotel, in case they needed anything. I was waiting for a ride to work each morning so I was at the door for 10-15 minutes each day. This gal made me feel like I was part of the family, while standing and greeting others, all while getting blasted by sub-zero winds each time the door opened. I don't recall her name, but she told me she was a Ukrainian dominoes player.

Kudos to GM Mike Wurster for assembling this kind of talent, for my money, the best hotel staff I've seen in years and I've seen a lot.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony that faces the casino.
2  Thank rmayhan

Thanks Mayhan! Boy that was an endorsement if I have ever seen one! I will be sure all my associates see how we have created a loyal customer! See you when the weather warms up a bit!

Reviewed February 10, 2014

Great staff, good food and the newly renovated rooms are spacious and clean. The location is superb with it being downtown and the parking garage made for secure parking. The lobby and lounge are very spacious and the restaurant was awesome.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thanks Greg L for taking the time to comment on your recent stay here in Regina! I am very proud of my team and will pass along your kind words. See you back in Wild Sage soon!