“Poor Customer Service”

Sandman Hotel & Suites Regina
Ranked #24 of 33 Hotels in Regina
Reviewed December 13, 2010

I recently had the necessity to spend 3 nights in Regina and of all the choices available to me I chose this property, a decision I now feel was a mistake. On all 3 nights there was no parking available with plug-ins for Hotel guests until very late (After 11pm 2 nights and Midnight one night) due to restaurant customers and Banquets being hosted at the property. This is Saskatchewan in December, overnight temperatures this weekend were between -25 and -30 Celsius, parking overnight without being plugged in is not an option and waiting until after midnight to park when I needed to be up at 5:00 am was not really an option either. When the situation was brought to the attention of the desk staff their responses bordered on the insulting. I was told that I could park on the service road, keep checking hourly until a spot freed up, or my favorite “Come back at the end of my shift and you can have the spot right up front where I’m parked, it has a plug in”. I spoke to the Manager on duty twice and expressed my concern with the situation and his response was basically that he was sorry but there was nothing he could do.

As a businessman and frequent traveler for both business and leisure I typically have 150 plus room nights a year in properties all across North America. Problems arise from time to time in business, how those problems are handled is what makes a company what it is.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank walbern
gmregina, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites Regina, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2010

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your most recent stay with us.

Unfortunately while we strive to manage our parking situation, there are times that there really is not enough parking on our lot. Our lot not only provides parking for guests of the hotel, the lot is also used for Banquet guests, the Spa guests, Denny's and Moxie's. During the course of the evening and especially on weekends, the lot does manage to become really full leaving little options for everyone. Comments made to you regarding the parking situation have been addressed with our staff.

There are newer reviews for Sandman Hotel & Suites Regina

Reviewed December 4, 2010

Have stayed here numerous times over the last 6 months for business. One of the reasons is the price.....I guess you get what you pay for. At first I really liked it but it has worn off quickly. I am going to list the negative as I did not have many if any positives on my last stay.
> Twice they have had no reservation for me !! Sometimes our travel agents book the hotel ?? Why should that matter - I stay at umteens hotel in the year and NEVER have this problem.
> I travel alot so sign up for hotel guest rewards cards - SPG; Hilton ; Delta etc., No where on there website can you punch in your card number when reserving......you have to call the 1-800 # - I found out it gave me $1.00 off.......YES no word of a lie I got to save a buck to call their number and sit on hold !!! Unbelievable. Other than that it gives you nothing......unless someone can say otherwise. Yes I know they have their lucky 13 program also.
> Everything from view looks very nice etc., but the more you look in the rooms it was made extremely cheap.
> Rooms are always HOT!! It was -20 degrees outside and I had to open my window. I turned the thermostat off - it never changed for 3 days. I did not ask to move because I have never been there and the rooms were not hot.
> Poor housekeeping !! I usually buy bottled water. I forgot this time and was feeling a little sick and needed some water. I grabbed one of the glasses in the bathroom ( which I usually never do ) I looked at both of them. The first one was absolutely filthy and the second had someones lip marks on the rim !!!!!!! I never used either just used my hands. The next day I get back to my room and the cardboard covers are put on two new glasses in the bathroom ( so I think ) So I check and it is the exact same two glasses with the mouth/lip marks all over it......Absolutely disgusting !!!
> Small bugs crawling around the bathroom floor ?
> Pillows are brutal and so are the blankets / covers.

Yes ur right - I should not stay here then...... I'm not anymore.....next trip in the price range is the Holiday Inn Express.........or if I have to it will be the Delta going forward. I just try and not spend that much when I'm travelling with my company. If I was on my own it would be the Delta hands down !!!!

This place is fairly new---- give it a few years with the cheap workmanship in the rooms and it will be falling apart.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank okop

I appreciate the feedback given regarding your most recent stay at our hotel. I do apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced while staying with us.

Our StarPlus program offers a preferred corporate rate which at the time of your booking was the corporate rate. The program also offers upgrades upon availability, late check out privileges, high speed/wireless internet, morning newspaper, spouse stays free as well as the Lucky 13 where you stay 12 nights and the 13th is free at any Sandman hotel.

Our hotel has hot water heat which in some rooms makes for a warmer stay. The temperature is not automatically adjusted when you are dealing with hot water, it does take time for the temperature to drop in the case of being too warm.

With regard to the drinking glasses, there is no acceptable response to that. This has been addressed with our housekeeping department. This is not an acceptable practice for Sandman. As well, the unclean bathroom floor is also not acceptable and has been addressed as well.

Again, I appreciate your feedback regarding your stay and I again apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced. It is not our practice to have our guests feel negatively about their stay with us, Sandman or the programs that are offered.

Reviewed November 4, 2010

We've stayed at the Sandman before and really enjoyed our stay. Hence why we wanted to stay here during our wedding weekend, and told all our family and friends that if they could, get a room here too! In the end, we were quite embarassed to have suggested it.

I had family from the east coast book by calling the listed phone # to make reservations. Whoever was on the other end of the phone line never forwarded the information onto this hotel. Even though they are both considered working for the same hotel chain. They both answer to Sandman. So when my parents (parents of the groom) showed up to check in, the hotel staff had nothing. And they were not even willing to offer anything for the mix up until a manager walked over and asked if he could help with anything. Finally, he was able to arrange something and they got a room. He even gave them a better rate.........but on check out from the stay at the hotel, the front desk clerk said there was no comment on the file, so they were not going to be given any special rate. They actually began to argue with my parents. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE.

The beds are very comfortable. The rooms aren't bad, but they're dated, and could use an overhall, especially the wallpaper, and bed sheets/blankets. It just makes it look like a bedroom from 1930 something. But whatever. It doesn't effect your sleep.

There was one particular older gentleman who worked nights at the front desk. I've never met someone in the hotel industry that was as rude as him. Everytime he spoke, he was talking down to customers. The night of our wedding, when we returned to the hotel. A few of us were standing just inside one of the rooms on the main floor (in ear shot of him) and we had been there for all of 3 minutes, just talking, when he approached and said there's a problem and we need to go to bed. He would not discuss it, only direct us to bed. It felt like we were 12 yrs. old. This was my wedding night with family and friends that I hadn't seen in years. But he would not hear a word. Just kept saying we have a problem.

The hotel's saving grace is the Moxies restaurant in the parking lot. I think that's why people return to this hotel. It's in the East end of Regina where a lot of newer hotels are going up and I wish we had stayed somewhere else. We won't return, despite previous enjoyable nights here. Maybe someday when the staff know how to be polite, but it will not be any time soon.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank idybidy
Reviewed October 5, 2010

First of all, I would like to express my gratitude to the staff of the Sandman Hotel Regina for extending, a consistently exquisite service of hospitality that could have only previously been imagined.

My stay began on the morning of Friday, September 17th and concluded on Monday, September 20th, 2010. After arriving in Regina from an exhausting three and a half hours of travel, understandably so, I was upset, tired and grouchy and I was certain that this would be the beginning of an inevitably horrible meeting-filled weekend.

Contrarily however, I was pleasantly astounded by the warmth, care and understanding of the staff of this hotel. My first encounter was with Sheena, the front desk attendant who ensured my suite was ready within a matter of minutes. She also went beyond her required duties to ensure that a follow-up call was placed within the first hour of arrival, to query my satisfaction of the room and its contents. I particularly liked that my room was adequately equipped with all the necessities for comfort, a solace of satisfaction indeed. As well, I couldn’t help noticing that throughout the hotel there radiated a certain quietness and contentment by both guests and staff alike. Though I had only been in contact with the front office departments within the hotel, the dedication of other departments such as housekeeping and maintenance were evident in the conspicuous cleanliness and organization of the hotel and its operations.

My visit culminated with a heartfelt face-to-face meeting with the General Manager who greatly expressed his interest in and appreciation for my views of the hotel. And it was at this point, and unknown to him, that a first-timer to his hotel became a committed and confirmed Sandman Hotel Guest.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2010

Loud sound of fluid water,can't sleep well.But the king size bed is awesome.swimming pool is quite small

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Stayed here for a couple of nights. The hotel was clean and had no problems. It's no frills and is nice that Moxies is right there to have a drink and a bite to eat. I had reserved in advance and when I got to my room I realized I was given a handicap room........kinda weird as all the travels I have done, I honestly had never been in a handicap room.
You would think they would tell you when you check in... At first I was going to go back down and ask for a different room but did not feel like wasting my time. The room itself was o.k. but the shower was horrible as it was one of those wand ones where you hold it and there was no tub !!! Like I said, you would think they would tell you this as I definately did not reserve a handicap room!!!!!!!
I have stayed at other Sandmans and they would always leave water in the room......Not this one ! Cheapy , Cheapy .

It was a clean place to rest the head and was fairly competitive in pricing. Nothing real awsome about it but nothing real bad about it.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 26, 2010

We stayed in this hotel for a baseball tournament in town. We all paid an average of 130.00 per night. The hotel had 2 elevators, one of which did not work all weekend and the other that only worked sporatically. We had to take the stairs up to the 4th floor on many occasions and the hotel had no one working on this problem and did not even apologize for the inconvenience. On the last day of our stay, I went to ask for a late checkout of approx. 1 1/2 hr. and was told it would be fine or I would be notified otherwise. I received no notification so I assumed everything was fine until 5 mins before we were to leave for the playoffs, I was told the hotel was full and no late checkouts were being allowed. I asked why I wasn't notified and was rudely told by the manager-Brittny -- that she had notified me that I could not have the extended checkout earlier. When I responded that we did not have that conversation she rudely said she had and was not about to apologize for her mistake. Our team spent thousands of dollars on lodging this weekend and none of us were allowed even a half hour late checkout. This is the worst experience I have ever had in a hotel and would never recomend anyone stay here.

• Stayed: May 2010
2  Thank google154954
gmregina, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites Regina, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2010

I am sorry to hear about the difficulties you associate with your stay at our property; I would like to respond to your message in regards to the articles you have mentioned. The property does have two elevators, and due to misuse from unsupervised children of the elevators over the weekend, we did have our maintenance company out on three separate occassions to assist with elevator repairs. I apologize that this inconvenience occurred for all of our guests, including of course yourself. In regards to the late checkout, if we have the availability, we would have graciously allowed the late check out, however, we were, as you mentioned, sold out for that evening. The standard check-out time was noted upon check-in to all guests to ensure they are able to plan their departures effectively. If there was any miscommunication regarding the availability of the late check-out, I apologize again and will ensure that our staff communicate our requirements more effectively in the future. Thank you again for your feedback and best wishes for any of your future travel plans.