“Shady characters abound.”

HI Regina - Turgeon International Hostel
Dartmouth, Canada
“Shady characters abound.”
Reviewed September 17, 2011

There were many very shady older men staying at the hostel that appeared to be living there long term. I did not feel safe. Luckily, I stayed in the female dorm, which was much better. It's a shame, because the hostel is clean and centrally located. They need to do something about the clientele or it really shouldn't be considered a youth hostel, more like a halfway house.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank ldblkhn
HI-Regina, Manager at HI Regina - Turgeon International Hostel, responded to this review, March 17, 2017
Hello Idblkhn,

I am truly sorry to hear about your negative experience at HI-Regina. As of 2017, our new management has taken extra precautions in ensuring the safety and security of our guests. We no longer allow suspicious people on site, as well if anyone has any concerns about their safety they should report to us immediately. We take this concerns and requests very seriously.

Heather Parkin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I've stayed here several times over the years but this visit was a low. The place smells and has some odd longterm residents. It's no longer the charming stopover it once was.

• Stayed September 2011
Hello Saskwanderer,

Thank you for your feedback, we have eliminated the smell and no longer accept sketchy guests. As of 2017, our new staff have raised our standards as far as cleanliness and security. We hope you will once again come by and we can show you our improvements.

Cheers,
Lunenburg, Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2011

When looking for a place to stay in Regina, we came across the option of Hosteling. Neat idea!!! Recommend this hostel for a stop over. Right near downtown in an amazing area!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Hello Kathip03,

Thank you for this review! Hostelling is an amazing option for youths as well as budget savvy travelers. We hope to serve you again in the future!

Cheers,
canmore
Reviewed May 9, 2011

This used to be a good hostel but it seems to have gone downhill, Maybe there are new owners. They have a front desk clerk working there who is a red neck from British Columbia and she seemed to be trying to find clever ways to rip me off, quoting me 2 different rates for a dorm and not wanting to refund my key deposit. She banged on my room door 15 minutes before check out time reminding me that it is almost 11am (as if I was planning on not leaving). The sheets were all full of lint, garbage can in bathroon full of soiled paper towels, the showers are so grungy and filthy I refused to use them. They also have a couple of rough looking guys who like ex-cons living there. One kept trying to talk to me even though I would not answer him. He looked really dangerous. I told the front desk woman but she hostilely replied that he has been here since Jan 18 and it was now May 8. She did not offer to do anything about it. So the hostel is not safe. The hostel just wants guests' money, they do not care at all about your safety. Avoid this place like the plague.

Room Tip: check reviews on the hotels, hostels, etc.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank potatosalad64
Hello Potatosalad64,

I am sorry to hear of your poor experience, on behalf of HI-Regina I would like to apologize for your mistreatment. As of 2017 we, the new management team, have taken great strides in upgrading our security to better the safety of our guests. We now live on site to ensure no sketchy looking persons as well we do not accept anyone into our hostel without sufficient ID. Our standards of cleanliness have been raised and maintained as well. At any point if you are unhappy with anything, you will be responded to by positive, caring staff who take all requests very seriously. In the future we hope to have the opportunity to show you how much we have improved.

Heather Parkin

Travelers are raving about these Regina hotels

Madison, WI
Reviewed March 31, 2009

This basic hostel is converted from an old Victorian house, so it seems a bit more worn then other hostels I've stayed in. The location is right downtown with 2 hour street parking directly in front, but you can park all night until 10:00 am. The rooms and beds are clean but there were a few strange noises during the night from creaky pipes (I hope!) There is a TV and a kitchen in the basement and lockers are available but costs $1/day unlike other places that are free. The wireless internet is fast and free, and there is a computer available if you don't have your own. I only stayed the night while driving through town so I don't know what is in the area, but the lobby has a listing of places to eat and drink. The desk closes at 10:00 pm, so if you need to check in later phone ahead!

My main criteria is cleanliness and this meets that standard. I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank pm06420
Hello Pm06420,

Thank you for your review! We have made some improvements, locker service is now free, as is borrowing a lock from front desk. Our old house does have its quirks such as creaking wood and narrow stairs. Our hours now have changed, our front desk is open from 9am-5pm, however management now lives on site so help is just a phone call away.

Hope to see you again soon,
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 6, 2004

Great staff. Very clean, and great central location. I spent most of my time walking though Wascana park, a beautiful civic park surrounding wascana lake, only a block from the hostel. definately worth a stop in Regina

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hello Brian Wilkins,

Thank you for your review! We are so glad you loved Regina as much as we do. We hope to spread the word about our hidden gem in the prairies.

Hope to see you again soon,