“Poor Hotel for Accessibilty Patrons”

Ramada Plaza Regina Downtown
Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Regina
Reviewed May 15, 2014

We stayed at the Ramada Plaza Hotel in Regina Saskatchewan from April 17th to April 20th 2014. We requested an accessible room which turned out to be a joke. The only thing which was remotely accessible was a bar on each side of the toilet. There was nothing accessible for taking a bath or shower - not even safety bars in the bathtub.
When we checked in they neglected to tell us that they locked the door to access the elevator from the underground parking at 11:30 P.M. Instead you have to climb a flight of stairs to the lobby and use your room key to get into the lobby. My husband has trouble climbing stairs and getting in and out of a bathtub which is why we asked for an accessible room in the first place. When we arrived at the hotel's underground parking at 3 A.M. after keeping vigil with a dying mother in the hospital we had to tote our luggage up the flight of stairs to the lobby. When I mentioned this at the hotel desk, they told me to let my husband off at the front door and park the car myself. By locking the door to access the elevator, they are admitting that unsavory characters could be lurking in the underground parking area. Why then would they suggest to a woman to park the car and climb the stairs alone at night? Most unsafe!
Needless to say we will never stay at this hotel again or recommend it to others.

Room Tip: If you need an accessible room, inquire about what features are available in an accessible room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Regina_Ramada_GM, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Regina Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Dear Doris H,

I wanted to share that we did read your review and take all comments from our valued guest’s to heart and we want to make sure they understand we value the feedback. I am sorry we did not have the accessible room completely ready for your most recent stay as we do have the complete package we are required to have the honor of having accessible rooms. We actual use they rooms as regular guest rooms during high demand times and have the accessible items placed in storage and inserted when a guest requests them. Trust me if we missed installing them for you I am deeply sorry as I totally understand how that would affect your stay. With respect to the parkade, yes we do have it locked down at 11pm and this is for our guest and staff safety. But you are able to access the guest room and desk areas by using your guest room key to gain access. This way we are only allowing registered guests in your hotel areas during your stay.

If you are able please send myself a quick email when you are arriving back in the Regina area as I will clearly show you that we have the items you require and I want to also personal express my apology as well

All my best, please stop by once again and say hello so I can personally thank-you as well

There are newer reviews for Ramada Plaza Regina Downtown

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Review collected in partnership with Ramada
Regina_Ramada_GM, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Regina Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Reviewed April 14, 2014

The hotel is modern, and my room was okay. I stayed on the Business Class floors (14 & 15) that require your card key to access. I liked that because there were a few ringette teams in the building that were screaming around. The bed was very comfortable and I had a decent sleep. The room's air conditioning had to be kept on because if you didn't the temperature of the room would creep up quite dramatically. I did have room service, and the food was good and reasonably priced.

Now, here is why I can't stay here again... it is my second visit in 3 months or so, and I stayed there 3 nights... I was on business and had to do a considerable amount of work requiring the internet. I could not keep a wireless connection for any more than a few minutes, then it would freeze up and I would have to reboot my computer to get the signal back. Do this 10 or 20 times and it gets frustrating.

The kicker is when I stayed at this hotel on my last visit, the same problem kept happening. I had to stay at another hotel in downtown Regina this same week, and my computer worked fine, so I have to wonder what is going on there? I need to work in my room, and it was annoying to the point that I will not stay there again.

Room Tip: Get a room on the north side of the building - the south side faces the steet and it is very loud.
1  Thank MattDD67

Dear MattDD67C,

May I start off by saying thank-you for the kind rating you did express to us on Trip Advisor. I know you did endure a Wi-Fi issue with your past few stays. I promise you we have addressed this in a very positive way. We have enhanced our services to offer the best internet available in Regina. I know during your last stay we did have a technical issue and a part was ordered but it was allowed to work till the part arrived but not at its maximum required speeds. For that I am truly sorry, these thing do happen and it was beyond our control but we can promise you that we do want it to work seamless and as quickly as possible. May I ask that you take a moment and send me an email prior to your next arrival to Regina. I will ensure I offer you a nice upgrade and I want to show you that we have addressed the Wi-Fi issue in an extremely positive fashion, which I know you will enjoy, I promise.

My sincere apologies and all our best as well

Reviewed April 11, 2014

I had high hopes staying at this hotel because I like the Ramada chain. I was surprised that there were as many things that were impressive as disappointing. The main highlights were everything besides the room; the pool, the friendly staff, the WiFi, and the restaurant were great. The room itself was really small and outdated. Even the wallpaper was peeling. I was also disappointed by the added expenses of paid parking and no continental breakfast.

Room Tip: The elevator is very fast, don't hesitate to stay high up

Dear MarcG,

We are very sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your last trip to the Ramada Plaza Regina. We have done extensive renovations as you have noticed and we have even more planned for this summer to address many of your kind comments. One thing we will not change is our amazing staff and our industry leading Wi-Fi which we are very proud of as well. Plus you are a very insightful individual may I say, you did notice we have the quickest most efficient elevators in the city after we completed a substantial upgrade to this great feature.

My sincere apologies and all our best as well

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Recently stayed one night at this beautiful hotel. The old charm is a great feature, I'm a little dissapointed that I didn't need a haircut as the barber shop looks awesome.

The front desk staff was very friendly on our arrival and the check in was quick and efficient. We had a couple of cocktails and appetizers in the lounge, the staff were super helpful with menu reccomendations, and the bartender obviously knows his drinks. The Old Fashioned was excellent. The decor of the lounge is really classy and looks like something out of a 50s movie, fun atmosphere and a cool spot to relax.

We also spent some time in the hot tub, steam room and exercise room. The attendant was great and the facilities really well looked after.

Our room was quite nice, a really comfortable bed and a decent size for tha age of the hotel. Some things are looking a little dated and worn, but that is to be expected with an older hotel. They seem to be doing a great job of keeping things maintained and still keeping the old charm.

I would definitely stay here again. I also think it speaks volumes that management takes the time to respond to every review on this site. They obviously care a lot about the guest experience and seem genuinley concerned about quality of the whole experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear puck34,

Nothing pleases us more than when a seasoned Trip Advisor contributor comments on our Ramada Plaza Regina. You are the main reason we love this program so much. It allows us to interact with our current and potential future guest’s in a very positive direct fashion. I find it so kind of you to express your positive comments regarding our amazing group of staff at the Ramada Plaza Regina. Many hotels may say they have great staff but we let you the valued guest state this, which I feel is the most honest opinion of our hotel, which we thank you.

Thank-you once again for your kind words and please stop by and say hello the next time you are back in our beautiful Queen City.

Thank-you once again and all my best

Reviewed April 5, 2014

My recollection of Ramada hotels was of so-so quality, so I was very pleasantly surprised by our stay here. Has Ramada as a chain upgraded? Is my memory incorrect? Is it just this particular Ramada? I don't know.

This hotel is centrally located, and looks perhaps as though it has been recently renovated. Reception area is spacious and kind of funky. Rooms were also spacious, clean and beds were very comfortable.

Staff is friendly, price was reasonable. We were happy.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank readytoretirecalgary

Dear readytoretirecalgary,

It was our genuine honor to have you stay with us at the Ramada Plaza Regina. We always enjoy seeing your smile when you walk in the door and brighten all our day. You truly are a great person who is always willing to make us happy too. We are glad you call our hotel your only destination when travelling to Regina.

All my best and please stay in touch as well

Reviewed March 30, 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Ramada
Regina_Ramada_GM, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Regina Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014