“Average Stay. Nothing special”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Regina, SK
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Regina
Edmonton
“Average Stay. Nothing special”
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We stayed here while heading east to Ontario. The room we had were on the main floor which was fantastic as we have a dog so the exterior patio door was excellent. One thing of note and for which we were warned from the front desk, the exterior door locks and you can't unlock the door and come back into the room that way. I happened to accidentally lock the door while loading the car and of course, thought I could come back via the interior room door entrance. Wrong. We had used the deadbolt on the other door and once that's engaged, the card key won't work. So I sat in the parking lot for a 1/2 hour until my wife got out of the shower.

The room is average and nothing to write home about. But we found it clean and roomy. So it suited our purposes for being a pitstop on the way to Winnipeg. One thing though, and it must be that time of the season, the bugs outside the exterior door was ridiculous. The outside building lighting at night attracted so many bugs that the sidewalk was basically crawling with them. So it was a mad rush to get into the room without letting the bugs in. Suggestion for the future would be finding a main floor room where the exterior light isn't directly below.

The complimentary breakfast was good. The standard waffle machine, pre-cooked eggs, and backbacon. Lots of fruit but amazingly, no banana's.

We plan on staying there again on the way back to Edmonton. Let's hope we don't have to deal with the bug infestation outside our room this time around.

Room Tip: Look for room on main floor that isn't directly under a exterior building light. Less bugs that...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Trifus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed July 29, 2011

The stains on the chair, the dirty couch, the broken table chair and the lamp that wouldn't turn on should have said it all. However, also the most uncomfortable bed, noisy, so noisy. I could hear every move in the hallway and upstairs above me. I would never even consider staying at this place, ever again.

Room Tip: Bring an air mattress and sleep on the floor
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Humboldt, Canada
Reviewed May 27, 2011

I was stranded in Regina after the motel I was booked to stay in was not a option anymore ( Knights inn was a dump ) so my hubby called around and found me a room here.. Servive was great rooms were nice, Breakfest was awsome and the service was great..I will stay here again

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Toronto
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Average. Just plain average. For those who frequently travel in the US, this hotel would be worth about $40 a night. However, since Regina is located halfway to nowhere, they can charge $100+ a night for this place. (don't like it, feel free to drive about 1000 miles to get somewhere else... :) )
Average breakfast, older, outdated rooms, ridiculously soft pillows with no "firm" option. Beds however, were comfortable. Shower, bathroom etc., typical of early 80's hotels.
Front desk staff ambivalent at best.
No newspaper delivered to your room, and no express check-out. (Note to hotel, these are now considered basic amenities/features of mid-priced hotels, and not some "luxury" feature.)
Though nothing made this stay horrible, I just came away feeling that for $120 (taxes in) I really didn't get value for my money, or anything to make me want to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank gomerpyle
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 11, 2010

My wife and I stayed in this hotel. We travel a lot but have never experienced this. In the middle of a shower the smoke alarm went off. You can imagine my joy, standing their naked and I am worried about whether the building is really burning down. I quickly called the front desk and asked them if it was the whole building or just our room. The front desk sent somebody up and he determined it was the steam from the shower that had set it off. The smoke detector is poorly placed right next to the bathroom door. A couple hours later we were watching TV and we could hear the same whine of one of our neighbor's smoke alarms.

The next morning on checkout I casually mentioned this to the front desk clerk. It wasn't a serious complaint, I wasn't demanding a refund or a discount. I just expected an apology or a look of sympathy at least. Maybe I expected her to say "We will have someone check that out, I am so sorry to hear that happened." Instead she went on to inform me that "most people never have a problem with the smoke detector, and there is nothing wrong with it." After dealing with her I felt so belittled. What happened to the customer is always right? When I make a casual complaint I expect an apology.

This was our first and last stay with Country Inn. What kind of company teaches their employees it is okay to argue and humiliate customers?

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Happy52024
canada
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Hotel decor was quite dated, but rooms were clean and breakfast was good.
Friendly hotel staff.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank golfer09Sask
saskatchewan
Reviewed February 24, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel a few times and have not had a bad experience. This is an older establishment, which is due for updates soon, but it is in general clean and well-kept. Parking is ample and free, check-in and out speedy and friendly in my experience.
We are usually here for kids sporting events, so the things we like: we book a suite, so the roominess and the extra TV in the bedroom is nice; Free movie rentals are a plus (machine in lobby dispenses DVD for manual playing in the TV/ DVD players in room.); microwave and fridge in suite; great selection at breakfast.
If you have a pet, you may want to request a ground floor room at booking, as there are exterior garden doors to quickly take your pet outside, which is really handy.
Our room had a king bed in the bedroom, which was comfy, but the pull-out sofa bed in the living area was (I guess not a huge surprise), really uncomfortable, but I guess for kids would be OK.
The age of the hotel may translate as unclean to someone who is extremely fussy, but I don't think that is the case. If you are really fussy though, you would probably be happier booking at a newer hotel. If, on the other hand you are looking for a practical, older no-frills hotel with a great breakfast and great value for money, and the option of getting a suite with extra space and a closed-off bedroom, you should be happy with this hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family