“GREAT HISTORIC FACILITY, LOCATION AND TEAM”

The Hotel Saskatchewan, Autograph Collection
Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Regina
Reviewed September 18, 2011

My wife and I have always preferred to stay in well located, old world railway hotels with atmosphere and grandeur. The Hotel Saskatchewan fits those qualities nicely, and represents a well preserved and managed landmark hotel in an otherwise mediocre accommodation market in Regina's downtown core - located directly opposite the main park of the Central Business District. We spent five nights at the hotel, and left feeling very satisfied with our experience.

The lobby is lavish but not ostentatious, with most of the original furniture and fixtures still intact. The only weak link was the clearly more modern oak grand piano in the lobby, which belongs in a mid-market hotel out in the suburbs. A proper dark mahogany or walnut instrument would complement rather than clash with this otherwise soothing environment. Period chandeliers abound, with interesting nooks, cozy hideaways and worthwhile art.

The elevators are fast and have been nicely upgraded - a nice touch for those who know how the originals operated. Hallways are wide and well appointed. The standard rooms are typically on the small side - as are the bathrooms, but this is made up by the higher ceilings and luscious fabrics, wall coverings and linens. The end suites are very nice, although the renovated bathrooms are still somewhat cramped according to their 1920's sizing - a minor inconvenience for all the other pluses these rooms have to offer. Maintenance and housekeeping are excellent.

Dining experience was good for both breakfast and dinner - the room has good atmosphere excepting the excessive brightness in the evening due to pot lights which could not be dimmed properly. The lovely chandeliers alone would be more than adequate in conjunction with the table candles - pot lights should be saved for cleaning purposes. Food was consistent and plentiful - there is a decent wine list with a few good bargains. Service was friendly and professional. The breakfast and Saturday buffet were good value, having the opportunity to dine on a combination of healthy and some more sinful items overlooking the park across the street.

Front desk staff were extremely accommodating and helpful – introducing a personal touch which is rare for a hotel of this size. We would not consider staying at any of the other hotels we walked or drove past during our stay, although they are likely more economical.

Noteworthy is the new management team with excellent credentials and experience from around the world – definitely moving this old gem in the right direction while preserving its unmatched character. We will definitely be back to see what additional progress they make.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank George R
There are newer reviews for The Hotel Saskatchewan, Autograph Collection

Reviewed September 15, 2011

Stayed here as we had a great group rate for a wedding we were attending. It's an old, historic building, so the rooms are rather small. They're very clean and well looked after, but don't expect much more than that. I'm also no a fan on the Sleep Number beds. If I wanted to sleep on an air mattress, I'd go camping. Can't stand them and I'll do what I can to avoid them.

Great downtown location, though.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Beels339
aottmann, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Saskatchewan, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2011

Thank you for your comments on the Radisson Plaza Hotel Saskatchewan, they are appreciated.

I am sorry the size of the washrooms were an inconvenience for you. We are a heritage property and our bathrooms are smaller.

With reference to the beds, the majority of the beds in the hotel are no longer Sleep Number beds and we try to accommodate our guests with regular beds, if that is their preference. If you wish to provide me with your name, I can put a note on your profile that you would prefer a regular bed for any future stays.

Once again thank you for your comments , and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you to Regina.

Regards,

Anne Ottmann
Executive Assistant/Marketing Coordinator

Reviewed September 14, 2011

This is the third time my husband and I have stayed at this hotel. It is much our preferred hotel when stopping overnight in Regina because we love the beautiful old hotel building. They just seem to have a problem getting the service part of it right.

Last time we stayed in May we called the hotel directly to book and were put through to the Radisson central booking which, based on the operator's accent, is probably in the U.S. somewhere. We were told there were no double queen rooms available which is what we needed as our daughter was with us. We checked online and it showed that there were double queen rooms available but the operator was insistent that there were none available. We called back the hotel and asked NOT to be put through to their central booking and we were able to book the double queen room directly with the hotel. When we brought this to the hotel's attention they apologized and offered us a free upgrade to a suite the next time we stayed there.

Fast forward to this September when I called to book a room and told the operator (again with a strong southern accent) that we were to have an upgrade to a suite. She told us there were no suites available and offered us a double queen room for $365.00. I declined and went online to see that there were several suites available, one of which I booked for $299.00. I put in a request for a rollaway cot as our daughter was travelling with us.

I called the hotel the day before our stay to make sure that we would have a rollaway cot in our room and was told that the hotel had only one! I was then told that they didn't know where it was in the hotel and if it would be available!! This is a 224 room hotel and they have ONE rollaway cot?? I was asked to call back the next morning to housekeeping to find out if it would be available or not. I did this and the head of housekeeping told me she would have to "find" it and call me back. She did call me back quite quickly and told me it would be in our room on arrival. Of course when we arrived it was not in our room and I had to call the front desk who had to call housekeeping to locate it and it was finally sent to our room. It's a rather ancient looking thing, however, our daughter said it was reasonably comfortable. Surely there are many families who book at this hotel and are in need of an extra rollaway bed in their room for children. I can't fathom that a hotel of this size would have only one.

The suite was nice enough, very large with a separate bedroom with a king bed. The mattress was reasonably comfortable (at least it wasn't one of those horrible "sleep number" beds which are just glorified air mattresses). Sheets and pillows were just average, certainly not high quality. The bathroom was tiny and we had only two bath towels and two hand towels. There were hairs in the bathtub which is something I always look carefully for before I run a bath. I skipped having a bath.

We ate dinner in the lounge which is a very comfortable place with lovely ambience.

We love this hotel for its historic charm but we do wish they would iron out a few of these problems. For the same money we could stay in a hotel with better mattresses, high end bed and bath linens, quality pillows, etc. etc. It's frustrating to keep running into the same issues again and again. And the offer of a free upgrade to a suite is meaningless when you cannot obtain it.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Lillybelle
aottmann, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Saskatchewan, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2011

Thank you for your comments, they are appreciated.

I am very sorry for all the problems you experienced with your reservation. Our in house Reservation hours are from 8 am to 5 pm, Monday trhu Friday, after that time Reservations are answered by a Central Reservation system. For any future reservations, with specific requirements, please call the hotel directly.

We do have only one cot as that is our preference. Our standard guest rooms are not large enough to accommodate a cot, therefore we do not have extra available.

Our beds, which we have recently installed are the Simmons BeautyRest.
With reference to pillows, we do have options available, if you are not happy with the type of pillow in your room, please advise the front desk and arrangements will be made to have them changed. All of our bed linens are compliant with the Radisson Standards.

We do appreciate your business and do hope we will see you again when your travels bring you to Regina.

Regards,

Anne Ottmann
Executive Assistant/Marketing Coordinator

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Hotel was dated. Rooms were just OK. Very average hotel. Best part was the location. Quick jog down to a great park by the university to run in.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank TheInspector16
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I always stay at this hotel when traveling to Regina from Saskatoon. I travel for sporting events, theater and for social reasons. Hotel always very clean, sleep number beds are great! Only wish the service matched the prices. Guest services, pretty ho hum, had to carry our own luggage, not acceptable. I have no problem paying the dollar, just give me the service.

Room Tip: There is a price for the best rooms, try park view or you may get the parking lot.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank judyjudyjudy9
Reviewed September 8, 2011

I travel to Regina on a regular basis for work and have stayed at a variety of the downtown hotels. The best of bunch has always been the Hotel Sask and I have consistently stayed there for the last 10-12 trips.

I love the charm of old CP hotels and the service in the hotel is always very good. The rooms aren't the prettiest but they are always clean. My recommendation would be to try and avoid the sleep number beds as I've had a few there that have been so lumpy I couldn't sleep. The food is always good too! If you have the choice, I'd stay here every time you travel to Regina for business or personally!

Room Tip: Avoid the sleep number beds!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank robinvan
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Certainly this hotel has historic charm. Overall, the hotel is clean, and the staff are friendly and helpful. The downtown location is lovely. The rooms seem to be on the smaller side. If you're looking for a new Westin or Hyatt, this isn't it.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business