My wife and I have always preferred to stay in well located, old world railway hotels with atmosphere and grandeur. The Hotel Saskatchewan fits those qualities nicely, and represents a well preserved and managed landmark hotel in an otherwise mediocre accommodation market in Regina's downtown core - located directly opposite the main park of the Central Business District. We spent five nights at the hotel, and left feeling very satisfied with our experience.
The lobby is lavish but not ostentatious, with most of the original furniture and fixtures still intact. The only weak link was the clearly more modern oak grand piano in the lobby, which belongs in a mid-market hotel out in the suburbs. A proper dark mahogany or walnut instrument would complement rather than clash with this otherwise soothing environment. Period chandeliers abound, with interesting nooks, cozy hideaways and worthwhile art.
The elevators are fast and have been nicely upgraded - a nice touch for those who know how the originals operated. Hallways are wide and well appointed. The standard rooms are typically on the small side - as are the bathrooms, but this is made up by the higher ceilings and luscious fabrics, wall coverings and linens. The end suites are very nice, although the renovated bathrooms are still somewhat cramped according to their 1920's sizing - a minor inconvenience for all the other pluses these rooms have to offer. Maintenance and housekeeping are excellent.
Dining experience was good for both breakfast and dinner - the room has good atmosphere excepting the excessive brightness in the evening due to pot lights which could not be dimmed properly. The lovely chandeliers alone would be more than adequate in conjunction with the table candles - pot lights should be saved for cleaning purposes. Food was consistent and plentiful - there is a decent wine list with a few good bargains. Service was friendly and professional. The breakfast and Saturday buffet were good value, having the opportunity to dine on a combination of healthy and some more sinful items overlooking the park across the street.
Front desk staff were extremely accommodating and helpful – introducing a personal touch which is rare for a hotel of this size. We would not consider staying at any of the other hotels we walked or drove past during our stay, although they are likely more economical.
Noteworthy is the new management team with excellent credentials and experience from around the world – definitely moving this old gem in the right direction while preserving its unmatched character. We will definitely be back to see what additional progress they make.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience a seamless blend of elegant luxury and modern comfort at The Hotel Saskatchewan, Autograph Collection. Regina's only "Four Diamond" hotel is renowned for exquisite service. Our hotel in Regina, Saskatchewan offers first-class dining, a full-service day spa, a well-equipped fitness centre and exclusive access to The Club, our signature private venue where members enjoy exceptional benefits. With stunning views of downtown Regina and beautiful Victoria Park, The Hotel Saskatchewan provides convenient access to Regina's downtown core and the capital city's top attractions. The Hotel Saskatchewan enchants the discerning guest with a captivating ambiance and an unforgettable experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and Cancelon so you can book your The Hotel Saskatchewan, Autograph Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Radisson Regina
- Radisson Plaza Hotel Saskatchewan Regina
- Regina Radisson
- The Hotel Saskatchewan, Autograph Collection Regina