“Quiet, Clean, Questionable Value, and Charged For Parking!”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Regina
Ranked #18 of 33 Hotels in Regina
Toronto, Canada
“Quiet, Clean, Questionable Value, and Charged For Parking!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

The hotel I usually stay in for pleasure in Regina was fully booked and the only rooms available were much too expensive.
So I decided to book the Holiday Inn Express in downtown Regina.
Having not stayed in Holiday Inns for a number of reasons in the past, I thought this Holiday Inn Express hotel, located in the heart of Regina, Saskatchewan, had a good potential when I found it on Expedia.
What looks like a renovated property in an old building, it is typical of Holiday Inns, compact lobby, small rooms, and pretty much all self service. The room was clean and comfy, (however dark), and the hotel was very quiet. A free breakfast in the morning had a variety of food, including bacon, eggs, pancakes, cereals and fruits. Unfortunately, no one seemed to be working in the restaurant to insure that pancake batter was full, or the coffee replenished. A small issue I had with the hotel was the $10.50 they charged for parking. I don't mind the self service one has to deal with at Holiday Inns, but with no parking service at the front door and then having to park your car around the corner in the lot and lug your baggage into the hotel, then having to pay for it, is annoying. Its located right downtown in Regina, and at night there is not a lot going on around there in the evenings. (A symptom of the city itself) The only bright spot about the location was the proximity to the Cornwall Centre mall and the city's casino. I would only stay here again, but only if the cost was below $100 per night. Its not worth anything over that, based on extensive hotel stays.
Oddly, I was told however that if I had called the hotel directly, I would have had a better rate than the $140 per night Expedia was selling it for, so my lack of research resulting in me paying about $40 more than they would have charged me. 100$/night or lower would have been more palatable for what we were getting at this hotel. Not sure if there is a pool or exercise room, as we did not seek these out.
Pros : Beds seemed to be comfortable and clean, free wireless, central location, free breakfast with lots of choice.
Cons: Overpriced (on Expedia), small rooms, carpet in room needs cleaning, lack of service and personell who have absolutely no enthusiasm (front desk), difficult to get to hotel, as there is construction and many one way streets in downtown Regina.

Room Tip: Stay on higher levels to avoid street noise. There really isnt any scenic views however, if you know...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rotex29

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
jillsicle05
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

I have stayed in several Holiday Inn Express hotel & suites in the past few years and have never been disappointed... until now. For the record, this appears to be a renovated older hotel so this is likely why it falls short - many of the other H.I.E.'s are brand new. We found the room to be small and dark. The bed looked reminiscent of a Holiday Inn, but the rest of the room looked like any older Super 8 or non-name hotel. The bathroom was cramped and if I have to be picky, there was a visible hair in the tub. I want to be clear that we are not super fancy people and we have stayed in our fair share of dives... this is not a dive, by any means. However, I was disappointed perhaps because my standards were higher, given the hotel chain. The perks are the nice lobby and the downtown location (you can order from Copper Kettle nearby - great pizza). The downside is $10 parking (unless you park on the street until 8am - then you have to plug the meter) and the cheaper hotel atmosphere. We would stay here again if the price was right and there weren't a lot of options. Otherwise... meh.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jillsicle05
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Regina, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear jillsicle05,

Thank you for your review. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. It is disappointing to know you did not enjoy your overall experience with us, and regrettable our hotel did not live up to your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Joel B
Walt Disney World, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

On a recent business trip in Saskatchewan, we stayed at several Holiday Inn Express. Most were new and if not they were very clean/friendly. This one was old and in poor/dirty condition. To be kind, the front desk clerk was not well trained or helpful.... acted like he didn't want to be there.
It didn't help that our room was at the end of a long hallway overlooking the roof/ventilation equipment.
Lucky for us we arrived at 19:30 and left the next morning at 05:00.... short stay!

Room Tip: Avoid staying here if at all possible.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank TNCI
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Regina, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear 007Advisor,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear the experience you had with the condition of the hotel property and level of staff service was less than satisfactory. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and services are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. We hope that the next time you come through, you give us another chance to provide you with a better experience.

Zelyn N
Winnipeg Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

I went to visit a friend for a long weekend. My room wasn't ready when I arrived so the nice girl at the counter apologized and told it would be 30 minutes. When it wasn't she upgraded me to a very quiet suite. The room was spotless, had a desk and living area and a separate bedroom. It was quiet. There is parking at the side and the hotel is convenient not only to the airport but lots of downtown eateries and shops.

Room Tip: Ask them for an upgrade and for one of the corner suites.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

I had a late flight into Regina and checked in to the hotel around 1 am and was checking out the following morning, so my stay was very brief. However, it didn't take long to come to the conclusion that I would try my best to avoid staying there again. The hallways were cramped and there were very noticeable security cameras everywhere (a little big brother-esque). The rooms were big and relatively clean, however, the T.V was about as big as the screen on my cell-phone. Location doesn't really matter when one stays in Regina so perhaps I will look outside of the "downtown core" next time.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank lxgldsmth
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Regina, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear xgldsmth,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. We are deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas, We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Regards,

Brenda J.
eMedia Coordinator
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel probably 30 times over the past few years. One thing I have noticed is a deterioration of what I have come to expect w this hotel.
The rooms are overall large but very average regarding amenities. Case in point the flat screen tv was slightly larger than my computer monitor in a huge room. Why ? Last time I checked flat screen TV's were very very affordable.
The pillows on my bed have become those you would find in a discount motel.
The breakfast was as basic as I have ever seen at a hie!
Lastly, this hotel now charges $10 per night for parking! I guess u have to save up some money to replace those 28 inch flat screens !!
Anyway this hotel is falling from what i have come to expect. Like they say in the business you either lead or you follow. If you do neither , you fall out of the game

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank DJRCanada
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Regina, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear DJRCanada,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. It is unfortunate that you were disappointed with the condition of parking and TV in your room. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades.

Pam G
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

The suite we were in was dated but functional. It was also clean and large. Breakfast was enough to get you going. The hotel is close to Casino Regina (a block south). Overall the place was just fine.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank frequenttravlr_101
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Regina, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear frequenttravlr_101,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding the breakfast.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding our suites. We will look into this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.