“Old hotel & smokey”

Ranked #29 of 33 Hotels in Regina
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Old hotel & smokey”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We stayed only the one night, thank goodness! This is not our usual Regina hotel but most hotels were booked during the time we were wanting a room (Mar12/12). The hotel is very old, not clean and very smelly. Though the pictures are somewhat true as to layout and amenities these were done, I'm sure, when the hotel first opened. Our room was a queen non smoking but we could not wait to leave the next morning as the room smelled as if a smoker party had be held.

Avoid this hotel until the demolish and rebuilt or seriously overhaul it.

Room Tip: No room is better than the other.
4 Thank Ann438
Bev1110, General Manager at Chateau Regina Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Thank you for posting your comments. We have recently implemented a non-smoking policy for our entire hotel. Prior to this we had designated smoking rooms. Our clientele is a lot of repeat business and unfortunately, some continued to smoke in the rooms after our policy changed. When this happens we go through extensive deep clean procedures to eliminate the smell. Unfortunately, no matter how high the penalty is for smoking in a room, some people still do it.
You are correct in stating that this is an older property, but extensive renovations have taken place with more to come. We have replaced all the mattresses, T.V.'s and linens. Most of the carpets have been replaced as well.
We have received many compliments from our guests about how clean our rooms are and we take pride in that.
I regret that you were given a room that smelled of smoke, however, this situation would have been remedied immediately by changing your room should you have called Guest Services.
We hope you give our hotel another chance and as a room tip, ask for an Executive Suite on the main floor. You will be more than pleased.
Bev Herperger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Climax
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I would not recommend this hotel. If you think are getting a good deal, so is a rowdy crowd. From the other reviews I expected the older, dingier building. I wondered when I checked in and there were rowdy drunks near the lobby, no where to park, and several drunk men wandering in the lobby and hallways. There was violence and police outside my room, even up against my door, for hours! I couldn't get any sleep and I was scared! I called the front desk once and he said he would see what was going on, but when it continued for hours I kept calling back to see what was being done and there was NO ONE answering at the front desk. I couldn't see out the faulty peep hole so I didn't know if I was safe to leave my room or I would have checked out in the middle of the night. The hotel would do nothing to compensate me for this stay, first saying that b/c I booked on expedia they couldn't refund and then when I went through expedia, saying that I should have to pay regardless b/c I actually spent the night (even though I would have left if I could have confirmed it was safe to leave my room - and even though the purpose of my stay was to sleep, not to be trapped). They clearly didn't care about my experience and denied that no one was answering the phone at the front desk...basically implying I was lying. I understand they couldn't be responsible for the other guests' behaviour but they did nothing to make my stay satisfactory and were not concerned about my safety. Please do not stay at this hotel - spend the extra few dollars for your own safety, sleep, and satisfaction.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank DenToe
Bev1110, General Manager at Chateau Regina Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
I sincerely apologize for your experience during your stay at our hotel. The major disturbance that you are referring to in your comments was caused by people who were not guests of our hotel. The matter was dealt with swifty with the assistance of our security company. The police were called to remove these people from the hotel, We have security patrol our building on a regular basis throughout the evening to ensure the safety of our guests and at no time was there a threat to anyone. All of the individuals involved in this episode have been barred from ever staying at our hotel.
This is not at all a common occurence. Loud partying and disturbance to other guests is not tolerated and is very quickly dealt with.
As I do not have your personal information, I would invite you to call me personally to discuss the particulars of your situation. I look forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely yours,
Assiniboia, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2012

The hotel has recently been renovated, but they did not do the tub and fixtures. We ended up with cold or very hot water during our showers. The last morning the tap would not turn off! The door was not upgraded either, so was very noisy. Must say, the bed was comfortable, although, no down duvets as listed on the internet sight. Rooms are very small and very dark. Also, no DVD player as noted online! Outside parking very dirty - people stand outside exit doors at side to smoke and drink, not caring that they are lounging against your vehicle!

4 Thank motherruth
Thank you for your review. We have comfortable beds, that is a positive point and a very important one. Yes we are undergoing renovations and we feel we have completed the most important stages in the bathroom upgrade, including: new showerheads, floor tile, ceiling tile, vanities, sink taps, toilets, arched shower rods and new shower curtains. I apologize for no DVD player in your room, but a quick call to guest services would have solved that problem. The room you rented was a single queen, which is our smallest room type. We do have very spacious suites that are available.
Unfortunately, it is a fact that smokers have to go outside and this does sometimes get messy. The smoking areas as well as the parking lot are cleaned on a continual basis.
I regret that you feel you did not have a good experience here, however, I am afraid that I do not agree that your concerns should advise other travellers to "Avoid This Place".
Sincerely Yours,
Yorkton, Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2012

On the week before valentines day we decided to take a small vacation out of town. I looked on several websites looking for a nice but not to expensive suite. I came across The Chateau Regina and thought well I 've never stayed at this hotel before. I looked at the pictures of the spa suite. They looked very nice. We needed up booking like three or four days before> We were greeted by the staff , and once we checked in it was very nice. It was spacious and the bed was comfy. The jet tub was very well maintained. The shower was older and it took a while for the water to be warm. It was really relaxing like home for us and we much enjoyed our stay and hope to return soon.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review. There have been people who have posted in this forum who say our photos on our website do not match our rooms. Thank you for confirming that they do. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay in one of our Spa Suites and look forward to your return visit.
Sincerely
REDVERS
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Hotel had a certain Mexican flavor. The rooms were smaller than I expected and not much counter space in bathroom but everything else was great. The staff were very friendly and the location was a quick hop to downtown and the ringroad.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay at Chateau Regina Hotel & Suites. The next time you stay with us, try one of our Executive Suites. There are two rooms, a livingroom and a kingsize bedroom and the bathrooms are twice the size! We hope to see you again soon.
Regina, Canada
Reviewed March 2, 2012

This was by far one of the worst hotel experiences I've ever had, and it was not the result of a comedy of errors, as I've had some experience with those as well.

Overall impression:
The best word I can use to describe the hotel is 'dingy', where they took the pictures for the website and listings I have no idea, but it wasn't where I was. There was a smoking area directly at the door we used to enter the hotel (through the back) and I was concerned that there was no need to have a key to open the door even at 10pm. The lack of security definitely became an issue as the night progressed...

The room:
The rooms were very small and 'tight' - functional, but dark and kind of icky - as in I was afraid to walk on the carpets in bare feet. Even the decor was dark, which did not lend itself to making the room more inviting. The heating unit on the wall did not work at all, bu thankfully the thermostat on the wall did. The 'thing' (not sure what you'd call it...) to turn the shower on was so ancient in its design it took more than a few minutes to figure out how it even worked. Once we got the shower working, it was fine. Bed was comfortable, but that's where the good times end...

The experience...
This hotel is 'home' for quite a few of the shift workers at the local oil refinery. In addition, there's a lounge/bar downstairs in the hotel. So, approximately every 30-40 minutes or so throughout the ENTIRE night, there was loud and obnoxious knocking on the door right across from our room with cajoling to 'come party with us man!' - and you know how loud drunk people can be. They came to that room repeatedly throughout the night and only got louder as the night progressed. It was truly unbelievable.

I cannot remember the last time I had such a poor experience and broken sleep - the moment I'd get into a deep sleep I'd be jerked back awake wondering if they were banging on my door and if someone was going to try to get into our room in their 'drunken brilliance'.

This will absolutely be reported to the hotel management and frankly, they should have paid me to stay there. If you are forewarned and forearmed and OK with the above, then I would highly recommend you not spend 1 cent more than $50 for that experience. I've had more a more peaceful night's sleep at a campground.

You'll find in Regina that many of the hotels are in the same vicinity price-wise - I HIGHLY recommend you select one of the others. We had a truly pleasant experience at the Wingate, for example - for the sake of saving $10, we'll be kicking our own butts for the next 2 days as we try to catch up on our sleep and enjoy the rest of our weekend. In my husband's words, "I will never stay in that dump again - EVER!"

6 Thank Paul B
Neudorf, Saskatchewan
Reviewed February 15, 2012

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying in this hotel on February 7 and were simply delighted with our room! We had an Executive 2 room Spa suite...decorated tastefully, with all the added touches one would expect! The service at the Front Desk, although very busy, was fast, effecient and courteous! Many thanks to General Manager, Bev Herberger for ensuring our stay was pleasurable and perfect. Highly recommend this hotel to anyone coming into the Regina area!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Bev1110, General Manager at Chateau Regina Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, February 16, 2012
Thank you so much for choosing Chateau Regina Hotel & Suites and thank you for your very your most complimentary review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and welcome you back on your next visit to Regina.