“Black Magic Marker Elevator Numbers”

Chateau Regina Hotel & Suites
Ranked #30 of 33 Hotels in Regina
Reviewed July 7, 2011

To begin, when I write a review I always consider the Hotel's star rating and price. For example, I know not to expect the same service and quality at a motel versus a hotel or versus a resort. So I would rate it accordingly.

Be Prepared to stay in a motel for hotel prices at Chateau Regina.

I could complain about the chipped and bubbling paint everywhere, the dirty floors, the run down furnishings and decor. Or perhaps I could complain about the musty smell and sketchy elevator. I could also say how weary I was seeing the bars on the ground floor windows, boarded up windows on side of building and an strange communal BBQ placed on side entrance and the unlocked hotel doors without card entry or even the shifty people outside. (Tip: you don't need bars on the window if you had the doors locked...)

But I won't. All I want to say, if you take over a hotel and don't have the cash to fix the worn out elevator buttons, an office supply store can provide sticker numbers... maybe that is not the best solution but anything.... please.... anything.... but a black magic marker number written on the button with the penmanship of a five year old. When I saw that, there was no question that within half an hour we would be at Holiday Inn.

Do go here. Do not waste your time.

PS I must add, I have know idea what hotel is depicted on the pictures on thier website.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank authentics
Bev1110, General Manager at Chateau Regina Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2011

I read your review and am still trying to figure out how one number in an elevator can affect your stay at a hotel.
I am really going to jump to defend our hotel here. The pictures on our website are most definitely the rooms in our hotel. We pride ourselves on the number of compliments we get on the cleanliness of our rooms and the exceptional customer service offered by the staff.

To address some of your other concerns: No, all of our furniture may not be brand new, but our mattresses and linens sure are! The BBQ at the side of the hotel is for use of our guests, who really appreciate it. We have several guests who call our hotel home and enjoy a BBQ with their friends or co-workers after work. As you would have noticed, our windows open ~ the bars on the first floor are strictly for the safety of guests.
We have made massive improvement to this hotel and our next project is to replace the carpets in the hallways.
My staff and I are all very proud of the great changes that have been made to this hotel in the last couple of years and we will strive to be better and better each year!
I am very sorry you did not enjoy your stay. Give us another chance in about 3 -4 months when our carpets are installed and be sure to ask for an Executive Suite. You will not be disappointed. It is a five star room for a three star price!!

Reviewed July 4, 2011

My spouse and i travelled to Regina for a funeral. We had nights booked at this hotel. On checkin there was a bit of a mixup as it was under my spouses name - but that was caused by expedia. Lobby was basic but nice. The hall to our room was clean but had a musky smell. Not in the rest of the hotel. The room was small but clearly remodelled - and since it was on the end, the view was blocked by a wall. Not a big deal as we were with family all day. Nice flat screen tv - channels clear. Beds firm but fine. We left to meet the family -they insisted we stay with them. When I tried to cancel this created a problem as expedia is who you deal with not the hotel so I was handcuffed. The hotel mgr stepped in and handled it for us - this could have been very stressful under the circumstances. Our only issue with the hotel was the hot water appeared to be only turned on during morning shower hours. If you tried to wash your hands or have a late shower, all cold. Pool was out of order for the first day, but we were not using it.

Room Tip: Avoid left wing, and end rooms
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Big_D_Nanaimo_BC

Thank you very much for your review. I realize you were travelling under an unfortunate situation. Please accept my condolences to you and your family. It was my pleasure to have been able to assist you with your Expedia booking.
I apologize for the hot water issue during your stay. Our hot water supply was low for a short period of time due to a malfunction of the water heater. This problem was very quickly remedied, but it did inconvenience some of our guests.
We hope that you will someday return to Regina and stay at our hotel under more favourable circumstances. Thank you once again for your review.
Sincerely

Reviewed May 28, 2011

We were on family business in Regina and so we really didn't need much more than a place to sleep while we were doing all our visiting. The Chateau Victoria fit the bill nicely. As a destination hotel it is rather dreary and dismal. Decorated in drab browns and dark lighting it is a mouse maze of undecorated narrow hallways. The hotel does not live up to its fancier name. There is nothing that is chateau about the place.

We did not have reservations when when checked in at two pm but the front desk staff was very pleasant and efficient. They offered us one rate but when I commented that I found a price cheaper than that and she was okay at cutting the price down significantly. Our room was located in a very quiet area at the back of the hotel. This was both good and bad. It was good because it was quiet; it was bad because it was far away from anywhere. The hot tub wasn't working when we were there and the pool was just too far away from our room to use it.

The room itself had a warren or cell feeling to it. Thick drapes blocked the light which in its own was as a good thing because there is absolutely no view. Everything in the room was clean but very well used. There was a large screen tv monitor which was very nice and the beds were very comfortable. We stayed a couple nights which was good to notice the admirable job done by the cleaning staff.

The plusses are clean, economical and efficient. The minuses are dreary, non pleasant, and remote. On e other element to speak favourably of the hotel is that it is located beside a Smitty's Restaurant which was a very good place to have breakfast and apparently it is a favourite coffee place.

Room Tip: Check the internet prices before booking this roo.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank blamar
Reviewed May 22, 2011

My friends and I stayed in this hotel. We took advantage of a special they were having to upgrade to a suite for an extra $40. Definitely worth the money. They put us into a suite that was pretty much two bedrooms. It was two rooms with doors in between. The bathroom was huge which was so nice because we are girls. Everyone is right when they say the beds are awesome.
We hung out in the lounge downstairs which was a lot of fun. Overall this was a great place to go if you like comfort, fun, great staff, luxury, so pretty much any good thing you want in a hotel. Lots of people put reviews that are negative and a lot of time you find that they are elaborated. I can say that during my stay I didn't experience anything that I can put as negative.

Room Tip: Go for a suite, well worth it.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 18, 2011

Revised Review:

Rooms: I have been here once before. Both times I was put into a room on the first floor. I don't really mind but I would have preferred the privacy of a room higher up. Last time I had a regular single room that was a lot like a dorm room. This time I got upgraded to a executive suite because they were at full capacity. The room was much more spacious and much more comfortable.

Location: Near the highway which was great for me.

Value: It was worth the convenience.

Reason for stars: I would give it a 4 stars. I have stayed here before and I didn't really enjoy my stay but I was pressed on time to find a place so I just jumped on this hotel again. The executive suite is much better. I don't know if I would want to pay for the executive suite at full price but the upgrade was appreciated.

2  Thank feedthetraveller
Reviewed May 17, 2011

When I arrived at the hotel I was informed that my reservation had been made for the previous night and there were absolutely no rooms available, Elton John was in concert that night. While I sat in the Lobby making calls to other hotels, with no sucess, Guest services approached me and said they had a found me a room. Great service, I'm sure I would have driven for an hour to find a room!!!

1  Thank moscavitz
Reviewed May 14, 2011

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for two days. This is my first time in Regina, not to mention I was little disappointed as we had hard time booking room in two of the giant hotels in this city. We finally managed to get a room in Chateau Regina. My first impression about this hotel when I entered the hotel was pleasant. Front desk stuff was helpful and very welcoming. Our room was obviously not the best room in that hotel but they they clean it nicely, carpets in the room is brand new. Wash room is bright and well maintained. Our two day stay was smooth and excellent. We will come back again for sure.

1  Thank woodbridge_g
Bev1110, General Manager at Chateau Regina Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2011

How fortunate for us that you came to stay at our hotel and that you found it clean, comfortable and friendly - exactly what we are striving for! On your return visit, try out an executive or spa suite ~ pure luxury!
I appreciate your comments.