“Amazing Hotel”

Ranked #29 of 33 Hotels in Regina
Regina, Canada
“Amazing Hotel”
Reviewed May 22, 2011

My friends and I stayed in this hotel. We took advantage of a special they were having to upgrade to a suite for an extra $40. Definitely worth the money. They put us into a suite that was pretty much two bedrooms. It was two rooms with doors in between. The bathroom was huge which was so nice because we are girls. Everyone is right when they say the beds are awesome.
We hung out in the lounge downstairs which was a lot of fun. Overall this was a great place to go if you like comfort, fun, great staff, luxury, so pretty much any good thing you want in a hotel. Lots of people put reviews that are negative and a lot of time you find that they are elaborated. I can say that during my stay I didn't experience anything that I can put as negative.

Room Tip: Go for a suite, well worth it.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 18, 2011

Revised Review:

Rooms: I have been here once before. Both times I was put into a room on the first floor. I don't really mind but I would have preferred the privacy of a room higher up. Last time I had a regular single room that was a lot like a dorm room. This time I got upgraded to a executive suite because they were at full capacity. The room was much more spacious and much more comfortable.

Location: Near the highway which was great for me.

Value: It was worth the convenience.

Reason for stars: I would give it a 4 stars. I have stayed here before and I didn't really enjoy my stay but I was pressed on time to find a place so I just jumped on this hotel again. The executive suite is much better. I don't know if I would want to pay for the executive suite at full price but the upgrade was appreciated.

2 Thank feedthetraveller
Saskatoon
Reviewed May 17, 2011

When I arrived at the hotel I was informed that my reservation had been made for the previous night and there were absolutely no rooms available, Elton John was in concert that night. While I sat in the Lobby making calls to other hotels, with no sucess, Guest services approached me and said they had a found me a room. Great service, I'm sure I would have driven for an hour to find a room!!!

1 Thank moscavitz
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 14, 2011

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for two days. This is my first time in Regina, not to mention I was little disappointed as we had hard time booking room in two of the giant hotels in this city. We finally managed to get a room in Chateau Regina. My first impression about this hotel when I entered the hotel was pleasant. Front desk stuff was helpful and very welcoming. Our room was obviously not the best room in that hotel but they they clean it nicely, carpets in the room is brand new. Wash room is bright and well maintained. Our two day stay was smooth and excellent. We will come back again for sure.

1 Thank woodbridge_g
Bev1110, General Manager at Chateau Regina Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, May 16, 2011
How fortunate for us that you came to stay at our hotel and that you found it clean, comfortable and friendly - exactly what we are striving for! On your return visit, try out an executive or spa suite ~ pure luxury!
I appreciate your comments.
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed May 11, 2011

Stayed here with my family due to a conference. The only reason we booked here was we were advised to stay there by the association we were with and were given special rates. Booked back in February, I called the hotel enquiring about their executive two rooms suites as it was two famillies traveling together and it seemed like the perfect thing. That should have been my first clue as to this was going to end in disaster. I asked the clerk specifically about their suites and was told that there were two separate bedrooms with doors, bathroom, seating area with tv and kitchenette. I was told it was available for the dates I requested and was given the rate. I booked the suite and called back again because I had more questions and was reassured by the clerk that everything was as I had seen on their website. I had checked their website before booking and I was impressed with the photos of the rooms and suites. the photos on their website and the rooms you get are totally different things.

We arrived and were told our suite was ready. All was fine until we opened the door. there was no seating area, you directly walk into the first bedroom with a kitchenette squat over in the corner. the fridge was not in the kitchenette area but over across the room. you have to walk through the first bedroom to get to the next bedroom and off of this is the bathroom. this is not convenient or very private for two families to exist in for a week. our other family ended up having to get their own room and was charged with the current rate even though we had prebooked with the special rate and through no fault of our own, we were treated like criminals. they did have a special going on that if you stayed for 3 days you would get 30% off. my other family were not offered this, we had to basically tell them that we wanted it if they would not give us the room for the special rate.
Nothing in the kitchenette worked, not even any of the electrical outlets. The air conditioner in this room never worked, the one in the adjoining room blew hot air out at us. we had to call the front desk to send someone up. the man they sent seem to be baffled as to why we had no electricity. he came back several times but nothing changed. the next day we heard people were trying to call us but the phone did not work. we called the front desk., they sent up another man who figured out the phone, gave us a new one and we told him about the electrical outlets not working and he would get an electrician in, electrician did show up and fixed the problem next day.
The thing that upset me the most was when I pulled down the bedspread to put my kids to bed and found caked on food stuck to in, not just one mess but another as well. I was very upset, called the front desk and demanded that they change out the beds and I wanted fresh linen and a fresh bedspread and that I would check it when I came back to see if they did it. Housekeeping did make the bed but put the dirty bedspread back on !
Bathroom was dirty, toilet seat was coming off. the last two days we were there there was a foul smell coming out of the bathroom sink.
Do not use pool. the kids had a funny smell on them when they got out of the pool, old chlorine, pool was cloudy. There were dead spiders floating in the hot tub. It didnt look like it had been well maintained.

Room Tip: just dont stay here.
5 Thank townie007
Thank you for your very detailed comments.
You point out a few areas that we need to focus improvement on such as ensuring our guests are fully aware of the type of room they are booking. Our Executive suites are not designed for two families. They are, as the name suggests, for executives who desire a very spacious suite. The room you stayed in was a suite. It was a King/Queen, which is very popular with families as the children can sleep in one room and the parents in a kingsize bed in the other room. We only have 3 of these types of rooms.
All of our other suites have a kingsize bed in a bedroom, separated by french doors into the livingroom, with limited kitchenette facilities (mini fridge, microwave and sink).
It was clearly our mistake to sell you such a room if we were aware that there were two families staying in the room. These rooms are not designed for that purpose and of course you would have had privacy issues.
We have "adjoining rooms" which would have suited you perfectly. They are two rooms, both of which have two double beds and a private bath, that can be accessed through a private inner door.
When any hotel is running at capacity, there are bound to be a few glitches, and I am very happy that you brought all of your concerns to our attention and they were remedied in a timely manner.
Please be assured that our pool is cleaned and tested several times daily and meets all health and safety requirements.
Thank you once again for your comments, as it is through feedback such as yours that I learn where to further educate my staff in explaining our room amenities.
Sincerely yours,
Reviewed April 21, 2011

I am absolutely in love with the staff at Chateau Regina! They are so nice and did everything to make my stay fun. I spent time in the lounge and the girls in there are awesome!!!!! The rooms are so clean and the beds are to die for! Will be back for sure

• Stayed April 2011
Love your review!!! Thank you very much and keep coming back!
Sincerely
Calgary
Reviewed April 3, 2011

With my job, the client supplies the hotel room. This is the only reason I stayed here more than one night. No choice.

On arrival check in was slow and cumbersome. The front desk staff were not busy, (I was the only one checking in) but either due to lack of training or an antiquated check in system it seemed to take forever to get a room. Asking for a non-smoking room with a mini fridge and a microwave was akin to asking for the clerks first born child.

Eventually a non smoking room was located and I was told I would be moved into a room with a fridge/microwave within 2 days. 2 days went by, then it was another 2 days. I was then given a reservation with a confirmation number for a new room with fridge/micro to check in 1 week after getting there. That morning comes, I pack my gear, check out after being assured by the clerk on duty that my new room would be ready when I returned that nite. Sure enough, I come back that night and the only room available is a standard room with no amenities! At this point I am starting to get a touch irate. The clerk then spends a few minutes looking at the screen and tada! A room with a fridge/micro. (On a side note, my coworker endured the identical problems.)

Great Success!

Not!

I came to realize why every room doesn't come equipped with with these basic amenities - the electrical system can't handle it. 3 of the 6 times I turned on the microwave over my final week stay, the breaker tripped. Honestly, it would probably be better not to have a microwave if the electrical in this old building is that flaky. Can you say fire hazard. Speaking of which, the first room I was in had the a block screwed into the window track so it would only open about 3 inches - no escape route there. Hello Fire Marshall?

Now for some good news. The beds and tv's are great (although this is the first time I've seen the tv glued to the bureau). No movie channel though. The internet is not too bad speed wise, depends on the time of day and people online. The location was convienient for my trip with decent restaurants nearby.

Back to the problems.

Clean, but not if you look closely. Housekeeping really needs to look at the details.

Fitness Center. There is one but very limited. Same with the business center.

Security. My vehicle had the trailer hitch stolen while overnight in the parking lot, and I know of one other person who had items go missing as well.

Front desk staff. 3 of the 4 I had dealings with should find new lines of work. The evening clerk was pleasant and helpful but she could only do so much when surrounded by the likes of her coworkers.

To summerize, if your passing through and only need a bed - maybe. If they give a very cheap rate. To spend more than a nite here? You would be better off to keep looking.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank newtonk1
Bev1110, General Manager at Chateau Regina Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, April 11, 2011
I have read your comments and find it quite disconcerting that your plight was not brought to my attention while you were here. You are correct in stating that all of our rooms do not come equipped with a mini fridge and micro-wave due to electrical issues. Our electrical system simply cannot handle that much of a power load. That is why we limit their availability. Rooms with a fridge and/or microwave are booked on a first come first serve basis and we cannot guarantee that there will be one in your room, however it sounds as if your case was not handled in a satisfactory manner.
Both my front desk and housekeeping staff have received a copy of your remarks and we have discussed where improvements must be made in dealing with our guests with issues such as yours.
I truly regret that your vehicle had a trailer hitch stolen, but we do have security patrolling the parking lot and unfortunately, vandalism is a risk no matter where you are parked.
On a brighter note, you found your bed to be comfortable and your T.V. was great. I appreciate your comments as it certainly points out the areas that we need to improve on.
Sincerely Yours,