“Never been disappointed”

Temple Gardens Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Moose Jaw
Reviewed November 17, 2008

My husband and I have been taking a getaway at this hotel around Christmas for quite a few years now. We start talking about it and looking forward to it as soon as the weather begins cooling off. We love the pool and spend many hours a day in it. The rooms have always been incredible. We especially enjoy getting a room with a jacuzzi in it. The staff has been more than helpful. They are very friendly and courteous. The whole town is very geared towards tourism and everybody seems to have a smile on their face. The spa is wonderful. Nowhere else would I spend that much to get pampered, but it's so nice in there and the girls are so friendly. Overall, we always really enjoy the stay there, and would reccommend it to anyone and everyone. We are sending my parents there for their anniversary this year and can't see any reason they wouldn't enjoy it.

I am very surprised at a lot of the other ratings and reviews on the website. I hope that they are not misleading. It may be true that room service trays were not taken away for 24 hours or that it was a goose chase to get a bottle of water, but those things don't ruin or even impact a stay if you're there to have fun. The overall atmosphere we found to be very helpful and fun!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kat206

Reviewed November 7, 2008

I first stayed at this resort 12 years ago for an anniversary celebration for my aunt and uncle. The indoor/outdoor mineral springs pool is amazing and it was the most fun I'd ever had at a hotel, at that point in my life. Then 10 years later, when we stayed there 2 years ago we got a nice clean room and everything was great. Felt like it could have been a honeymoon! However, When we stayed there last month for my cousin's wedding we were given a room in the old part of the building. Weird smells, housekeeping loud, obnoxious practice of herding all the carts outside rooms people are sleeping in at 5 in the morning. We could actually hear people peeing in the neighboring rooms. Sound is a serious issue in the older part. Hairy towels. Wet carpets. The blankets were slippery like table clothes (I know that sounds crazy) and it wouldn't stay on the bed- kept sliding right onto the floor. When it was on the bed we were sweating like crazy, due to the plastic blankets, I guess. Then before you know it, it's on the floor. Serious management issues. My sister was sent on a wild goose chase for bottled water and we heard many guests outside our group complaining as well, "cashews on the carpets", "room not ready", "broken...", "stinky..." and so on. This hotel is amazing you get a room in the newer division. World class healing waters.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Chloe_Critique
Reviewed October 28, 2008

After being "greeted" with the worst service we had after trying to actually get into the hotel for half an hour, we made our way to our room. The decor was outdated, hallways were filthy and the bathroom in our room looked like it hadnt been cleaned for years. The tub was stained horribly and hair from the previous guest was visble on the floor, walls and toilet. This was followed by horrible beds, broken fans and in the morning a horrible "fitness center", which consisted of a heater, old worn out treadmills and one recumbant bike which was being used by staff. The water cooler remained empty after two requests. This was followed by more horrible service. All in all, there were too many bad stories to tell in the 8 hrs I was here. Worst place I have ever been and the price was rediculous for what you end up with.

• Stayed: October 2008
4  Thank WinnipegMichelleB
Templegardens, Director of Operations at Temple Gardens Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2008

Dear Michelle B

Thank you for passing on your comments about your stay. I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I do not know if you past on your comments to the front desk about your guest room, so we could try to rectify any items that were not correct at that time. I have shared your comments with all the department heads throughout the hotel so we can improve on the services that we deliver in the hotel. In regards to being out of date we are continually updating and are currently spending thousands this year and into next to address just such concerns. I have sent you a personal E mail to further address some items, Thank you

Director of operations

Reviewed September 20, 2008

I booked this stay as a prelude to a much anticipated family reunion. Needless to say i was dissappointed! After driving for some 6 hours we arrived and were told where to park but no bellman offered to assist us? OK - get to the 'suite' and no robes? They were delivered but taken away the 2nd day and not replace! Room service trays were not collected for 24 hours. I filled in the customer service form with the compalints and would have at least expected to be contacted with an apology. Definately not what i expected from their website.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KGTCI
Templegardens, Director of Operations at Temple Gardens Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2008

Dear KGTCI;

Thank you for taking the time pass on your comments from your stay. I do apologize for not having the robes in your room during your entire visit, but do ask that simply contact our front desk 24 hours a day so they can rectify those items. I have sent you an E mail so we can correspond directly.

Director of Operations

Reviewed September 7, 2008

Temple Gardens says that they are an oasis on the prairies and tries to create an air of elegance. In reality they have cheaped out at every turn and don't seem to spend any money on upkeep. They have built the hotel as cheap as possible and are letting it crumble.

Our room in the new wing was clean enough, but stained carpet and a disgusting yellow blanket on the bed made it so you didn't want to go to sleep. I thought 'fancy' hotels had duvets not those motel style blankets that are never washed.

Our room service pizza was soggy and lukewarm. The morning after we ate in the restaurant and received a slightly warm plate of soggy eggs and toast. We should have gone to Smitty's where it would have been crispy and hot!!

Our massages were ok, definitly not worth the inflated price in comparison to the other salons in MJ.

The spa pool itself is small and very run of the mill. They could have painted it a bright clean white instead of the dark drab green and used better building material. Tile would give it a spa feeling. The outside area was well used and never sweeped or cleaned. The flowers weren't maintained and the dead ones were all over.

The only thing 'fancy' about the place is the price. Its definitely not worth it. You are better off staying at the super 8 for ex and going to one of the many other salons for a spa treatment while in MJ.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank amelie030

Dear Amelie030

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. The temple Gardens takes great pride in the property and has many satisfied guests. In regards to your comment "run Down" we do realize that some areas do need upgrading and are currently doing so and have committed major funds in 2009 to continue this process.Thank you for the opportunity to respond and I do hope that you will visit again.

Director of Operations

Reviewed August 29, 2008

We really like the spa but it is worth it to upgrade room. The basic rooms are not great but the upgrade room was quite nice and in a newer section of the hotel. The spa is really nice. You cannot go in in a thunderstorm due to safety concerns so do not head there in this type of weather. The staff are pretty friendly especially the life quards. You meet a lot of nice people here in the pool. The room service was delicious.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2008

Hotel looks - Great
Room - Nothing special
Services - Have no idea wasn't going to stick around that long
Staff - Want good customer service go to McD's these people are the worst group around

Reservations
When I called to book the room the women I dealt with seems to be of little interest of even being on the phone but it was mostly painless.

Called to say I would be late checking in, not something I had to do but as a nice thing to do. First try at the 1-800 no answer after 10 rings. Tried back after a half hour and once again the women I dealt with couldn’t wait to get me off the phone and on to whatever else was occupying her time.

Check in
Got there the girl at the desk barely even looked up. No Hi, Good Evening or anything else. Even a smile would have been a nice change. Gives us a key to our room and a parking pass, Now maybe it is just a me thing but when someone is coming from out of town it might be a good idea to tell them where they need to park. Something like here is your parking pass and you will park across the street on the second level. Instead I have to stare at her until I come to the conclusion that she is not the volunteer information type.

Get the room key. Room 522, seems straight forward, take the elevator up to 522. Well that is what I thought until after parking and caring all of our luggage back across the street to the hotel and getting in the elevator did we notice that it only went to the 4th floor. The only thing that helped was the bell boy that was conveniently in the elevator at the time told us it was across the street above the parking lot where we just came from. Another bit of information that would have been helpful to have been provided with.

At this point to be pissed would have been an understatement. But since we had been driving 30 hrs from Ontario I though I would sleep on it, and maybe it was the lack of sleep getting to me.

The room was fine a standard hotel room nothing really all that big of a deal to justify the price. I will mention I was getting a fairly good discount on the room. When I got up in the morning, I decided that I would stay the remaining 3 nights. That was until I was reviewing the bill on the TV service. Not only did the girl who was not the sharing type not tell me that parking would be at a cost of $5 but they even spelt my name wrong. I would have though it might be one those things you pick up on when you check in and you spell the name to the person and they take your credit card. (Admittedly on check out I did notice that there was a sign on the check in counter about the parking, unfortunately it was right under where I put my portfolio with all my paper work. Another place where volunteering information would have helped.)

Getting the hell Out
Pissed at this point decided to check out less then 12 hrs after checking in and with a 4 day reservation. Get to the counter to tell them we were leaving and the girl there (a different one this time) doesn’t say good morning or even hello. I have to make a point of say MORNING in a loud voice to get a response. When we tell her we are checking out no one asks why. I would think someone would ask if there was a problem, can we fix it. But no one there seemed to care. Then she said that usually they would need 24 hrs notice or I would be charged a second night but I guess out of the goodness of their heart they would wave it. But really I am pretty sure since it was a very busy weekend and I was getting a discount they were happy that they would be able to rent the room at full price.

All and all I would never go back to this place the people are the worst group of people in customer service I have ever had to deal with.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hill145
Templegardens, Director of Operations at Temple Gardens Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2008

Dear Hill145:

Thank you very much for taking the time to pass on your comments on your lack of customer service. It is with feed back such as yours that we can address the items our valued guests experience during their visit and can correct them for the many people in the future. I have heard two themes from your letter. Better communication to the guest and friendlier staff. I promise that these are some of the most important items to the Temple Gardens and we are currently working on staff training to rectify these concerns.

I truly hope that when you are in the area again that you give us another try.