“A Filthy Dump!”

Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Moose Jaw
Oak Park, California
“A Filthy Dump!”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I was so disappointed by my visit to Temple Gardens. I flew in from California to surprise my mother for her birthday. I thought it would be a nice treat to have a Mother/Daughter Spa day to celebrate! Beware! After a check in time of approximately 5:00 pm - they finally had a room ready for us. It was room 101 - under the stairs and elevators - complete with window view of the smoking area. The room smelled so bad of smoke that we requested another. They put us across the hall in room 108. The smell was gone, but this room is by far the poorest condition I have ever stayed in!! Horrific paint job, dented filthy walls, corroded bath fixtures - the list goes on and on. The staff was rude at best - suggesting that these were their best "economy" rooms. Never once did I request an economy room - and I told them that I would happily pay for a nicer room. I was told that if I checked back around 7 - 8 pm they would see if they had any other rooms for us. I was not willing to ruin my mother's birthday dinner by sticking around to request a better room - so we stayed where we were put.

Anyone who has ever stayed anywhere else on the planet in a Spa Resort - beware!! This dump is not even remotely worthy of it's name!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank KanKos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My fiancé and I stayed here for one night in August 2013. We had a basic room with a king-sized bed. I read many reviews on trip advisor and was a little skeptical, but a lot of the reviews on here are actually misleading. We got a room on the casino side of the hotel which is apparently nicer than the pool side, and mostly have no complaints, aside from the air conditioner which was a little noisy. When we arrived, we noticed that there were no robes in our room so we called the front desk and they came immediately to bring them to us. We also arrived in Moose Jaw during a thunderstorm, so the pool was closed which was a huge disappointment. However, the storm ceased and the front desk called our room to notify us that it was open again, which was much appreciated!! The staff at the front desk were very friendly and helpful, the room was clean and spacious, the mineral pool was great and very relaxing, and the food both at Harwood's and the little casino restaurant was good and well-priced. Overall, a nice hotel and good experience!! Also, some reviews stated that the hotel had a confusing layout. It is not confusing at all, one needs to just read the signs properly. We would recommend this hotel to anyone and would definitely come back!

Room Tip: The spa is on the fourth floor and the casino side of the hotel has nice rooms!
1 Thank Chris B
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We spent another overnight visit at the bed and breakfast service they provide and enjoyed every minute of our time....we even took people from Vancouver who also thought it was terrific. The rooms were large and comfortable, the breakfast at the downstairs restaurant was yummy and of course the pool was "healing" !! lol It also doesn't hurt to walk across the street/walkway to gamble at the casino. We also took our guests to the tunnels which they really enjoyed and I must say....even though we have seen them before, the tour was every bit as enjoyable the second time around! Our guests from Vancouver, who regularly get spa treatments at home...said their experience at this spa was one of the best they've ever had!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank dennise
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Without offending we just want to express our sad experience at that beautiful and unique place in SK and Canada,..I'd like to express my unsatisfaction for a very bad service and information communication by the staffs at the bar on the 4th floor, by the mineral waters pool,..about 3 weeks ago. I've been a tour guide in my home country for almost a decade, and I've never seen visitor tourists bad attended and treated at a renouned touristical place,..so my wife and I were very surprised to hear those employees saying in a very diplomatic way that the pool was closed because of too many people already in, so no more public visitors were allowed that day as per no space and life-guard to watch. What a coincidence that we were 3 different immigrant (new Canadians) families who coincided there by noon time, and then we all were given the same answer: "there's no room at the pool now, too many people in, so come back at 2:00 pm, please...", and then when coming back, we saw that advertising in the elevator :Closed Pool,..and then we were said that it was closed and we had to go,..very upset too because of the coffee machine was out of work... My wife and I went for a walk around and had a coffe very hopefully to come back and go in the pool and relax to overcome our week stress,..we had to go and keep enjoying the tunnels,..that's a nice downtown area,..but those staffs at that bar should learn how to honor the "Friendly City of Moose Jaw", and attend all kind of people with respect,..we are in Canada now, coming from all around the world, to live, work hard and be part of this great multiethnic and cultural nation. The other 2 families (Asian and East Indian) also left very disappointed and upset, as well as us (a Latin couple)... **We really hope to come back some day ahead again, and be able to enjoy that place, as per we love travelling. **That was our own experience, and for sure that it hasn't happen often to others, so we don't discourage other persons to visit that good mineral waters spa.

3 Thank Rasec Y
Delisle, saskatchewan
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Well this is the second time we have been to this hotel/spa, 3 yr s ago we went in the winter and it was an awesome experience, I believe that it is just an run of the mill hotel unless you are there for the spa, that changes the game. Winter is the best for the outside heated pool. But now to the most recent visit.
We recently spent 4 nights here(August 2013), the spa is wonderful I believe because every time I come here or to Manitou Springs I have parts moving that had previously been seized up. My feeling is need at least two days before it starts to work. We had some other minor things that are starting to accmulate, eg. the air conditioning units in the hotel are two small for the rooms, it was +29 two days in a row and the air we turned up to keep our room comfortable for when we returned from shopping.
We returned and the condensation from the unit accually made the carpet soaked and would squish up between your toes, and left slightly musty smell till it dried. The dest attendants when we left had no concerns even though they told me they had many of those complaints from other clients. Also the old hotel when they renevated did not include the restaraunt and lounge in their budget for air upgrades from our understanding and so on the first night we checked out the lounge inte nding on getting a drink and some snack food , we walked in looked at bartender and I told him I could not stay because it was sweltering hot, we took our business down town.

The next day we went to the restaurant thinking the air had been fixed but we were wrong, the dinning room had some of the best food I have eaten in a restaurant but the heat was not comfortable. Hearing some return clients talk they say the air has gone down every summer for 8 yrs, this I am not sure about but the hotel owners should upgrade,. they loose a lot of business from a wonderful chef and restaurant. I read the hotel touts itself as a 4 star hotel, I agree three yrs ago I would have rated it 4 stars but today it is going in my book as a down grade to 3 stars, that being said it is still a wonderful place to go and I will return the small stuff will be fixed I hopeful

Room Tip: When you call or show up they actually give you your choice in floors. They advertise as room of you...
1 Thank Kevin C
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We spent 2 nights in August 2013 as a family, including our 'almost 2 year old'. We had a room with a jacuzzi tub in it. Our first impression of the room was that it had not been cleaned properly before we got it. There was coffee dumped into the sink, the jacuzzi wasn't clean and the bathroom wasn't very clean either. The room had a very musty smell to it. The jacuzzi tub and surrounding tile definitely need to be upgraded. They were old, discoloured and looked dirty. Plus, there were no bath robes provided in the room. The AC didn't work the greatest either. I guess the only good thing about the room was the bed - which was a large king size bed and was pretty comfortable.

The restaurant prices were way too expensive and the food wasn't the greatest. The grilled cheese sandwich I got for my daughter was burnt and the cheese was so dry and hard not even I could eat it. I would recommend the many restaurants around town instead of eating at Harwoods Dining. Unless you are willing to spend that much money on dishes that are not that great. The only good thing about them was the Sunday brunch! Excellent spread and worth for the money spent.

I can't say we enjoyed the pool either. It wasn't as awesome as it's advertised and it didn't' look very appealing. We went on one of the hottest weekends this summer (almost 40C outside) and the pool temp was 42C - so it wasn't the most comfortable. I think the pool would be best during the cold season for anyone willing to try it. The pool area needs some upgrades too, looks outdated.

I would however, add in a note about how nice and helpful the staff were. The reception girls were extremely nice, polite and helpful. I think one of the girls, her name was "Bhumi"(?) or something along those lines, the waitresses were nice and anyone else we encountered who worked at the resort were well mannered, helpful and nice.

Here's what we will do next if we ever go back! Drive on a Sunday morning to catch the brunch at Harwoods (it really was worth it), pay the daily rate and spend some time in the pool and walk around town (I recommend the tunnels, burrowing owls center, museum, art gallery and many other things to do that we truly enjoyed in that beautiful little town).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Regina T
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed August 15, 2013

After reading all the reviews, I guess we were lucky to stay in a room on the newer side of the hotel. We had a room with a balcony but had to pay $15 per night extra for that. The room was clean enough and it was very handy to the skywalk over to the pool. The pool was really nice and well kept. Room service prices were reasonable but the eggs benny was not good. The hollandaise was so thick it was like mayo. But that's the only thing I can really complain about. All in all, we had a nice stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony. This is the newer side of the hotel/
2 Thank CanMom1