“Great Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Moose Jaw
Saskatchewan
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed for a week for a conference at Temple Gardens...upon arrival I was given a free upgrade to a huge room, which included a Jacuzzi tub that filled with the mineral water from the spa! The staff were very accommodating and helpful. We ate at the restaurant for the Sunday buffet for lunch - a truly amazing spread!! The beds and pillows were so comfy!! I would highly recommend!!

I had a Sea Salt Exfoliating Treatment that turned into a Swedish massage - total 90 minutes(not the correct name). It was pure bliss, James was my therapist - he was very professorial and talented!! If you need to unwind and relax check out the spa - it lovely!!

Of course I have to mention the mineral water pool and outdoor pool - love, love, love it!!!! Sitting out in the -38 degree Saskatchewan winter in the pool is a fantastic experience!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank watergirl306

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

I am not a hotel snob, as long as I have a clean bed and bathroom I am happy BUT I usually know what I'm getting by the price I pay. The Moose Jaw "spa" is over priced for a very average run of the mill hotel. The rooms are a normal small room that you would get at a 3star hotel maybe even 2, so if you think you are going to get luxury, this is not the hotel for you.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tami J
Saskatoon, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Have been going to this Spa hotel for at least ten years...girls getaways and romantic times with my spouse. This last weekend was neither a getaway or romantic. As other reviews state the upgrades are mainly cosmetic. New bedding that is so rough it could take some skin off. New furniture but not well made. Our coffee table almost collapsed under room service tray on Saturday evening, Fridge does not cool properly and the bathtub light had to be smacked several times in order to work. The ceilings have odd stains on them, and new paintings cannot hide problems with the painting of walls. At a price of almost $300 per night (406) amenities were poor. Toiletries and towels are not spa quality. It used to be much better.
The pool...wow...no rules posted any more. Children run, splash and dive...they throw glasses of water around. They throw wet towels and glasses over the rails. I have kids, but if rules are not posted or enforced how can you control what they do. The lifeguards on duty on Friday night did nothing to control behavior of unsupervised children. I thought kids were supposed to be in the pool WITH their parents. Not happening here. The atmosphere was horrible, pool area dirty, chairs dirty, water had some candy, glasses, buttons and unidentified floating objects in it. Ice melt is around the pool outside, dont sit on the edge, your skin will suffer greatly. Saturday morning was better; as were the two staff that were working. After lunch it all started again. Post some rules and enforce them. This is a spa, not a disney hotel.
Meals...Supper friday night cost $120. We had to wait for table to be cleaned off from each course. No refills on water, no refills of coffee. Did not get the dessert I ordered, My special was cold, vegetables horrible, but the steak medallion was flavorful. My husbands steak was good but he almost wore the coffee pot and someone elses meal. We opted for room service on Saturday instead of going for dinner. MISTAKE. Prime rib swimming in something. Cold, overdone. A soup that had no flavor, a mystery still to what it was. A salad that was good...it was still cold. The morning staff for Breakfast are much better, and so is the food. I am sorry but this is not the resort it once was. Cut backs are very noticeable. Two days, four meals, over seven hundred dollars. Three star is being generous. Charging for parking on top of the cost or the room is ridiculous.
I got a real run around with reservations at first. Matt easily found us a room on short notice, when I called to get an upgrade to a King suite..no problem from a helpful young lady. However when I asked price, thought it included the breakfast. Asked when we arrived about the all inclusive possibility or dine and stay. Nope, if the room is available why not a special. Some say not on weekends, other desk staff said it would not have been a problem. A lot of staff changes, very few familiar. I am more than disappointed, as others state; they are other places to stay in Moose Jaw or other spas to go to. Would I go back....lets see if they respond to my comment card that I left behind. It just doesn't seem worth the money any more. Sad because its girls weekend in February and several Birthdays. Check it out thoroughly before you book..

Room Tip: If you want luxury....pay for it. Go for a suite. Close access to pool stay on the spa side.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank prairiedust
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

This hotel touts itself as a "luxurious spa resort hotel" and nothing could be further from the truth. Where do I begin?

Here's some things that are wrong with this hotel:

- The rooms are dated and tired looking

- Due to lack of availability, I had to switch rooms mid-stay from a standard room to a luxury jacuzzi suite. The TV in the upgraded suite was SMALLER! Go figure!

- The in-room service was SLOW. They brought us breakfast and did not both bring key condiments like BUTTER for our french toast. It took them nearly 1/2 hour to run up some butter and by then the meal was cold. It then took them another 15 minutes to replace the dish. UNBELIEVABLE!

- The room service tray from a neighbouring room, complete with dirty plate, sat outside in the hallway for more than 24 HOURS! Gross.

- There were items on the front desk for decoration that looked like they hadn't been dusted in months. The entire front desk looked dirty and left a bad first impression.

- The staff at the front desk seemed unmotivated/disgruntled and weren't able to handle clients who are looking for true luxury accommodations which oftentimes come with impeccable service. They just did not seem to care or seemed too immature.

The one bright spot in this hotel was the spa which was fabulous and top-notch. The pool areas (both indoor and out) were wonderful as well.

Overall, this hotel was NOT worth the money at all. I managed to get a special rate of $141 (approximately) for my first night and even that was NOT worth the money AT ALL. This hotel is $80 max per night in terms of quality or value. You may as well stay at one of the motels on the outskirts of town and pay for a day pass to enter the mineral pools. There is plenty of free parking downtown and you won't feel ripped off.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Just book a room for much cheaper on the outskirts of town. There's plenty...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank capebretonboy
Templegardens, Manager at Temple Gardens Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear capebretonboy:

Thank you for passing on your comments regarding your past stay with us. It is with feed back such as yours we get to hear how our guests feel about their experience and can address those issues. I have read and heard your comments and will review the different items with the managers looking after those areas. In regards to your comment about the dated look, we have and are continuing to many upgrades throughout the resort to address this issue.

Again, thank you and i do apologize for any inconvenience to you

Yours truly

Steinbach, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

First I would like to say that the advertising, in my opinion, shows a relaxing place to come. Screaming, crying kids are not relaxing. Good service until something goes awry. We had trouble with the internet and were told from 4pm to after midnight that it was fixed or being worked on. We found out later that this was not the truth....the guy at the front desk at midnight didn't know anything about the internet being worked on. So, he moved us...at 12:30 in the morning to another room that had working internet. It was in the older part of the building and a smaller, darker room. I felt horrible in there. We were told in the morning that the room was of the same standard as the one we had been in. I couldn't stay in that room...it was too small and so they moved us again to a different room. When my husband talked to front desk manager about the issue and being lied to all day and the horrible night we had...no compensation was awarded. She told him that they tried to accommodate us...I guess telling us lies for 8 hours is good customer service. Needless to say, we are not impressed with the customer service we received and may never come back.
When he asked what discount would be given for the inconvenience...he was told that there would be none. This is totally unacceptable.

Room Tip: stay in the newer part of the building, not the original. They are larger and brighter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Brooksey

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments regarding the internet problems you were having. I am not exactly sure of when you stayed but we did have a main router go down on the casino side and had to have our service supplier come out the next day to replace it. I am glad that we were able to move you to the other side so you could have internet service. I am very sorry that this did cause you inconvenience during your stay. We do our best to meet all our guests needs, but some times things out of our control do break down and have an impact on our valued guest.

Again, I am very sorry for the inconvenience caused to you and truly hope that you will return once again.

Yours truly,

Saskatchewan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

The pool area is fantastic especially in the winter. There is a pass through to get outside and when the temperature is -25C it is amazing to be in the hot mineral water and see the steam coming off the surface. The restaruant is very good. The rooms are very nice but overpriced for what you get. It is possible to stay at another hotel and get a day pass to the mineral pool. The hotel and spa are right across the street from a casino for anyone that likes to gamble. I have had a facial and manicure at the spa and they were wonderful, a little pricey but what you would expect at a spa.

Room Tip: The hotel rooms are on both sides of the street but there is a walk over so it isn't a problem t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear countrygal

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the mineral pool. We always like to here when our guests have a pleasing experience. In regards to the value for your guest room, we have replaced all the furniture in 90 guest rooms along with lighting and art work, carpet on two floors of guest rooms and a major renovation to our mineral pool change rooms to name a few things. I do realize that we have a lot more to do and are in the process of doing so.

Again, thank your for your feed back.

Yours truly,
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

We are a group of women that USED to go here every year for about 10 years. It used to be our Girls Spa Getaway. We would say for 4 nights and treat ourselves to various spa treatments. When we first started going, it was wonderful. We all stayed in one room, were very cosy, Spa was excellent, pool was excellent. After 10 years.....we noticed that the rooms had never been painted, same rugs, and even the bed spreads were the same. We havent been there for about 3 years now, as we found someplace else for our spa retreat. I was passing through moosejaw and heard that they had upgraded, so I decided to try it out again. The carpets in the halls etc were the same, but had been changed in the rooms. There were new matresses, and bedspreads, and they had painted (although I think my kids could have done a better job). I found their upgrades turned out to be nothing but a lipstick fix. It was still run down. The spa although I think it has been through some different management throughout the years, has remained quite nice. We used to get bottles of water, and a fruit plate after treatments, then it was just a bottle of water...now there is just a jug of water there that you can help yourself to if you want. That being said, I dont think the quality of their treatments has gone down. The Mineral Pool is great, but again, I think its time for some major upgrades on it. Yes, its quite usable and everyone enjoys it, but its tired.....time to wake it up already, and get with the times. Its expensive enough to stay there and use the facilities, the least they can do is bring it up to snuff. Lastly, I did write the management with my concerns with the rooms and facilities, and expressed my disappointment. Did I hear from them? No! They cant be bothered to reply. Maybe they are too busy trying to figure out how to mask the many problems they have going on there. You would think that if a group of women came every year for 10 years, that maybe they would be rememebered...appreciated for their business......but no. We have since found a place far closer than Moosejaw. Instead of an 8 hour drive....its down to 40 minutes. :) Their loss our gain. Hopefully if others wise up, they may actually have to do something about it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank SpaKate
Templegardens, Manager at Temple Gardens Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Spakate

Thank you for time to pass on your comments regarding your last visit. We do read and react to the feed back from our guests. As you did mention we have done some upgrades such as, 90 rooms of new furniture, lighting and art work, new carpeting and paint on several floors, all new pillow tops for our beds and bedding. We did a complete renovation on Our Spa shower/change rooms. We are planning new carpet in our hallways and restaurant and lounge. I am sorry that you were not pleased with your past stay and hope not to lose your future visits. Should you chose to return again please contact me directly so can do a little something for you next get away.

Yours truly