“"You Pay for the Water"”

Temple Gardens Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Moose Jaw
Reviewed December 30, 2012

The title of my review is pretty accurate. Frankly, it'll be their unofficial slogan very soon if they don't listen to their customers. Temple Gardens must accept that upgrading their rooms every 15 years is not acceptable.

The pool and restaurant is wonderful, but even on the "new" side, you can expect tube tvs with horrible colour and clarity. I agree that the tv hutches are beautiful pieces of wood furniture and likely initially expensive with their "Temple Gardens" engravings, but convert them into wardrobes and hang a 42" flat screen! Certainly someone has the management and negotiation skills to swing a deal for that...especially nowadays. The furniture, particularly beds, are great. Failing to keep up on the technical frankly seems either lazy or greedy.

The basic cable is sad and while I appreciate the opportunity to rent a "still in theatre" movie from their service provider, I have no interest in squinting to make it out on the 10 year old tube. The wifi is so weak, my laptop couldn't even find it, let alone use it. Yes, it's a spa and relaxation resort. Sometimes relaxation to me means lounging in front of the tv or computer.

Temple Gardens may get by for some time, but with their slow, if not non-existent, efforts to upgrade the technical aspects of their suites...."you pay for the water."

I see that I'm not alone in my assessment.

3  Thank 1980ACS

Reviewed December 30, 2012

I left MJ a long time ago but try to take my kids to the pool at Temple Gardens when we are in town - what a compete disappointment. From the line up at the till, to the debit/credit card not working, to the incredibly nasty change rooms- I was pretty grossed out.

They allow people to take blue cups in the pool with water, which I disagree with. The people should drink it on the side of the pool because we saw people playing with them in the water, with their mouth germs, chucking water and cups in the bottom of the pool, which we stepped on. The lifeguards can't keep up with cleaning the mess from the people.

The pool is really showing the age, the flags look filthy and ragged that hang up above, but the worst was the unsanitary change rooms. There was no where to hang a towel to have a shower and the lockers are so small you can't get your winter jacket into them.

I had to head to my parents to have a shower because I felt so nasty being on the floor and the showers near the pool barely work. This first class place has gone down hill!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Pelorojo13
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I've stayed at Temple Gardens several times in the past and have enjoyed my experience. We live within an hour so I've stayed over night several times and have gone for the day. This past weekend we decided to take my visiting in-laws to the pool that I've enjoyed before. The locker rooms were awful! I understand it was busy, but really when public pools in Regina have cleaner locker rooms it goes to say something. The floors were filthy as were the showers and lockers. There was garbage in the lockers and the floors were covered with dirt and hair. The showers used to have nice shampoo and body wash,now they only have the generic soap (the same you get at public facilities in Regina). The pool area was also lacking. There were used towels left along the edge (I don't mean on the chairs, litterally along the pool side, some half submerged where people had sat on them and left them) as well as used cups (when I've stayed before attendants were awesome in picking those that people left). It was a real turn off and quite a disapointment considering how much we paid to get in (there were 6 of us). It was also embarassing since I had raved about the pool and instead was shown such a lack of care and attention.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ellen79_10
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Stayed at the Mineral Spa for two nights November 2012. The rooms seemed to be partially upgraded but not totally. The old style large tube TV's are still in the rooms along with the hunter green blinds. The linens are updated and beds comfortable but for for the price you pay to stay there, the rooms should have been updated completely and done alot nicer. The hallways seem very worn looking also. The staff was nice at the desk but for the price I would probably stay elsewhere and just go to the mineral spa.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank 1PickyMom
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Best part of the hotel is the pool and spa, spent a lot of time here and would say this is the only draw to this hotel.

We booked into a room with a jacuzzi and fireplace expecting something really special, but it did not meet our expectations. TV was a box and had very poor picture with lines running through it, layout of the room wasn't ideal, and the internet was absolutely horrible. The hotel itself does not have internet, you have to connect to a public wifi service which is extremely slow and impossible to do anything on. There was no hardwire in our room, the person at the desk said "not in this building" so perhaps the other side of the hotel is hardwired, but not sure.

There were quite a few comments by other guests on here about fix-ups needed to the rooms, which I would agree with. They are cheap and minor fixes, such as paint, but would really make a huge difference to the overall look and feel.

If you're going to book at the hotel, you are better off getting one of the cheaper regular rooms, as the jacuzzi rooms are not worth the extra $100/night.

4  Thank ssugal
Templegardens, Manager at Temple Gardens Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Dear guest
Thank you for passing on your comments regarding your last visit. It is with feed back such as yours we can address the varying concerns for you and others in the future. We are aware of the Internet issue and have just done many upgrades to the service on the Casino side and in February we will complete the Spa side. In regards to the televisions we are slowly but surely going through the hotel replacing the older style with flat screens in a systematic manner.

Again, thank you for your feed back and we hope to have you visit again soon.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

I just stayed at the Temple Gardens Mineral Spa resort. I was there for work and didn't have an opportunity to make use of the spa, so I won't comment or rate the hotel on this. A few of my colleagues did try and enjoy it though, so it would probably be worth a try.

Now, about the things I can review, the hotel has 2 towers and you have to cross a street to get to the second tower (either on ground level or through a walkway on the 3rd floor, or an open walkway on the 4th, not open in the winter). I was in the second tower, 5th floor. The room was decent and was clean. Service was also good when I needed it. You also don't have to go outside if you wish to go to the casino which is nice.

There were a few things I didn't like about the room though. First, it's an in-window type HVAC system with no auto, so it's always on, blowing hot air when heat is on, and cold air when it's not. This makes the room very very dry and there was nothing I could do to get the humidity up at all. The fact that the bathroom fan was on all the time didn't help either.

Water temperature and pressure in the bathroom and shower were good, and the toiletries were pretty nice.

The television was an old tube TV, so no HD but there was a good selection of channels.

There weren't really enough outlets in the room, near the bed or the desk as all but one were taken up when I got in the room.

There was not nearly enough light in the room. It was always dark, and reading at night was a challenge. The light switch near the door turned on a small light near the door and nothing else. The lamps seemed to have the least wattage bulbs available.

The window coverings are blinds, not curtains so they let a fair amount of light in to the room during the day.

The wifi in my room was absolutely horrible (when I could connect) but on the second day I found the wired connection, and that was near the best hotel internet I've ever had. I wish they could improve the wifi, but at least wired is still available and very good.

The bed was comfortable, but I had trouble finding a pillow I liked. Flatter or down pillows would be nice.

Overall it's a decent hotel and probably the best in town. It was clean with hot water and good pressure and a comfortable bed so it has most points covered for a short stay. I was on a longer stay, so a few of the other things got annoying, but nothing terrible.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank tomcat335
Templegardens, Manager at Temple Gardens Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments regarding your past stay with us. WE do read and try to address the guest comments so we can continually improve. We did hear you and other guest comments about our WIFi service and have done upgrades to the Casino side and will complete the main side early in 2013.

Again, thank you for your feed back and hope that you are able to return soon.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

My wife and I, and sometimes the family, take a trip to Temple Gardens two or three times per year as we enjoy the warmth of the mineral pool. Overall, our experiences have been favourable, albeit around 20% overpriced in terms of value for your dollar. The rooms are slightly above average quality and decor, and are usually well maintained and clean. However, there is one very annoying facet of a stay at Temple Gardens. The steam room. We have written Temple Gardens about this issue on a number of occasions in the past couple of years, and have been informed that they agreed with our complaint and promised to take measures to try to correct the problem. But, to date, no action has been taken. The mineral pool and adjoining steam room are intended, and advertised for that matter, as a place to relax and enjoy the water and peacefulness. For the most part, if one is careful picking the dates to stay, lounging and relaxing in the pool can be a pleasure. But there are times, which tend to be mostly on weekends and special holidays, when the mineral pool is used more as a "swimming pool" for local families and their children, as the pool is open to the general public during specific hours without having to rent a room. This fact certainly contributes to difficulty having a "completely" relaxing and regenerating experience, and degrades the value of the dollar you pay to stay. But, I digress. The true annoyance is the steam room. There is little doubt that many people misunderstand the purpose of a steam room, and that can be forgiven. Historically and culturally a steam room's main purposes are, aside from potential health benefits, the opportunity to sweat out bodily impurities, reflect on life and meditate. Contrary to the many other steam rooms we have had the pleasure of using across North American, none of these are possible at the Temple Gardens Mineral Spa Resort steam room. Continually, people use it as a place for social gathering to loudly talk about whatever comes to mind, to joke and laugh and be noisy. So much for the meditation aspect. What about the steam and heat? The door to the steam room is continually being opened and closed, and not quickly, which would be acceptable as people do need to go in and out. Often people will open the door for long moments just to take a look and see what's inside. Of course most of the steam and heat escapes. Then there are those who enter the steam room for a minute, find it too hot to stay any longer than that, then leave only to return a minute later after they have cooled down somewhat and then repeat the process a minute later. And THEN, there are those who enter, sit for two or three minutes and then say "It's too hot in here!" and proceed to the door to hold it open for a minute or so to cool it down. There are attendants and lifeguards in the area, but they do nothing to help correct these things. But it is likely not their responsibility at any rate. We have requested Temple Gardens to try something quite simple toward helping to keep these problems at a minimum. Simply install some signage stating something to the effect of "Steam and Meditation Room. Please observe silence and keep door closed". Is that too much to ask, or to difficult to do? But, to date, and even though promised, and given well over a year to try, this has not taken place. So, all this said, will we continue to regularly stay at Temple Gardens? Highly unlikely.....

2  Thank PostM

Dear PostM;

Thank you for passing on your positive comments regarding your stays at our resort. I is always great to hear that you do enjoy your self. In regards to the steam room and pool, I have addressed the comments with all the managers and supervisors to go over this item with our guards. We do have a challenge with trying to be all things to all people with the mineral pool being open to the public and to our room guests. Our room guests do have exclusive access from 7 AM to 10 AM daily for their enjoyment. We will be redoing our signing for the pool area and sauna and will address the "conduct" more clearly. Unfortunately we are always at the mercies of other peoples consideration to other, be it room guest or other. I will talk to the team again regarding this matter.