“2 Star Stay for 5 Star Price”

Temple Gardens Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Moose Jaw
Reviewed April 16, 2011

My husband and I made the much awaited and anticipated trek to the Temple Gardens Mineral Spa Resort. Upon entering the lobby we got a feeling of relaxation coming on. Unfortunately, that was as good as it got. We were looking forward to getting to our room and unpacking and starting our relaxing weekend. We arrived on Friday night and paid a completely unwarranted 296.00 for a jacuzzi room for one night. When we entered our room, all I could think was "are you kidding me?" I even went back to the front desk to ask if we had been given the wrong room or something for what we had paid. We were determined to have a good weekend despite the fact that the room was very VERY plain. We made our way down to the lounge for a drink and some dinner and found it to have absolutely no ambiance of a lounge whatsoever considering the name is Temple Gardens Mineral Spa Resort! We went on to visit the pool and while it was lovely warm, it was just like any other indoor pool...again without any design or ambiance of a Spa with Mineral Healing Waters.

I was disappointed to find that we were paying so much for a place that any average Joe walking off the street in sweat pants could come and visit. Yes, I saw much of that. There was nothing exclusive to the guests of the hotel in any regard whatsoever. While at the restaurant of which we only ate once...we did notice that the employees were friendly and eager despite not having much to work with. I guess we expected a place that felt relaxing and welcoming with nice, quiet areas to sit and visit and relax that were a testament to the name of the place. Nice music...plants...trees...something...anything.

I did find the staff, aside from the front desk staff to be quite accommodating and friendly. Maybe the front desk staff are just tired of dealing with constant complaints and find it hard to be upbeat. Unfortunately in closing, the hotel does not do the name any justice whatsoever.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank galfridaytravels

Reviewed March 12, 2011

My husband and I went there for a weekend getaway, the pool was great, it was nice and relaxing. The rooms weren't bad, they were clean and the service was good. The people there were friendly. We stayed in the Skywalk side in a standard King size room. The one complaint that we have is that the beds are terrible, both my husband and I were up most of the night tossing and turning and we both woke up with sore backs (my husband never gets sore a back). We complained to the front desk who let us switch rooms, however the bed in the other room was just as bad as the one from the previous night. They gave us another duvet/comforter to sleep on top of, which was useless. Both beds, in both rooms, sagged in the middle, were very hard and springy. We told them the next day, at check out, that they needed to replace their beds, they are obviously very old and worn out. We were told by staff that "some" of their beds were slated to be replaced. However, this did not help us at the time and they did not offer us a deal on the rooms, nor something else in return. For what you pay for these rooms, I think the hotel could afford some decent beds. We were not impressed and will not be staying overnight at the spa again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rhob_1
Templegardens, Manager at Temple Gardens Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2011

Dear Valued guest;

I was very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay except for the beds. I am glad that you have given us the feed back so we understand the guests experience and can improve, for you and other in the future. It is true that we are going through the hotel replacing beds where they are required to meet and exceed our guest’s needs. I would appreciate if you would E mail me directly so can find out which room you stayed in so I can personally address the situation. In addition I would like to hear from you so I can try to win you back as a valued guest.

Yours truly

Reviewed March 3, 2011

This was our third time at the Temple Gardens Mineral Spa in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan and we will definitely return in the future.

Room: we booked a luxury mineral jacuzzi room and it was nice. Big king bed, large tub for 2 with mineral water, separate shower. Everything was very clean, lots of towels, nice robes. Tub was nice. Only complaints with room was it was quite hot in the room and the heat would not turn down any lower and that the showerhead wasn't the best and should be upgraded to a spa showerhead seeing as this hotel is a relaxing spa hotel. Normally this room is quite expensive but there was a deal on if you stayed on a Sunday or Monday night so we got the room a lot cheaper. It was definitely worth the price we paid but not sure if it would be worth the full price. On our previous trips here we have stayed in lower category rooms and they were basically the exact same except no in room jacuzzi and instead just a regular tub in the bathroom.

Spa: spa was great. Massages were great, everything was perfect. Top notch.

Gift shop: lots of nice things for sale, reasonable prices.

Restaurant: excellent. Food was fantastic. I had the house salad with a delicious maple dressing and prime rib with roasted potatoes and veggies and a strawbery dacquiri. Hubby had a ceasar salad and the lemon chicken dish with rice and veggies (can't remember the exact name) and a beer and we both loved our meal. Service was very quick.

Room service: excellent. We had nachos and they were delicious and delivered very quickly.

Mineral pool: awesome. So relaxing. Love love love the outdoor section. Sauna was excellent. Change room and showers were good. Towels already at the pool so no need to take ones from your room.

Overall, we love Temple Gardens Mineral Spa and will definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank graywolfpack
Templegardens, Manager at Temple Gardens Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2011

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at Temple Gardens. WE love to here about peoples time spent here and makes us very happy. We currently as I am writting this response installing new carpet in 30 guest rooms and putting in new furniture, lamps, pictures and bedding in 70 guest rooms. I am very excited to have all our valued guests return and see the updates

Thank you....Ranald Rasmussen

Reviewed March 1, 2011

I found the rooms nice, nothing special. I slept comfortably during my 1 night stay. Most of the complaints I had seen were in regards to the carpets & paint...c'mon! It personally didnt bother me that some of the paint was chipped or that the carpet was ugly. It seems like some people were expecting something akin to the Shangri-La or something in Moose Jaw. It was just a place to lay your head at the end of an enjoyalbe day.

The pool was nice and very relaxing. It was nice to sit outside in January.

Had a great meal at Hopkins, there was 6 of us and we all enjoyed dinner there very much.

The tunnels were neat and worth checking out if you are spending a day in Moose Jaw.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank flippy_floppies09

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at Temple Gardens. We love to here about peoples time spent here and makes us very happy. I know we are not perfect, but we do try. Thanks for the vote of support.. We currently as I am writting this response installing new carpet in 30 guest rooms and putting in new furniture, lamps, pictures and bedding in 70 guest rooms. I am very excited to have all our valued guests return and see the updates.

Reviewed February 27, 2011

Stayed on top floor by pooll. Great Location but - the room needs a major overhaul. Paid a 5 star price but received a 2 star room - Bed was like a rock. Pillows were awful. Bedspread was threadbare. Carpets throughout the hotel are worn out.

Did have great service and we like the location, spa, restaurant. But make sure you book into a renovated room.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Parrguy

We currently as I am writting this response installing new carpet in 30 guest rooms and putting in new furniture, lamps, pictures and bedding in 70 guest rooms. I am very excited to have all our valued guests return and see the updates. THank you very much for passing on your comments and we really hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 23, 2011

We started looking at staying here in September. We wanted to stay during the Feb 2011 long weekend and felt that the rooms would book up fast and we needed to secure our room well in advance. Since I made my previous booking 6 months in advance for a middle of the week room I thought I should be able to book well in advance for Feb. I used the online system before without any problems so when I tried to book for Feb in September I was surprised that I could not get any info for Feb online. I sent an e-mail to ask when the online system would accept bookings for Feb and was told "Probably in January." Thankfully I called to follow up and was told that they were booking over the phone for Feb and there was only 1 room left of the type I wanted for the time I wanted. We booked the room. I never did find out when the online system would have worked.

We booked a coach room that is the smallest and cheapest room type available. We had 2 double beds, 2 wing chairs, TV, fridge, coffee maker, 4 china mugs, 4 glass glasses, ice bucket and tongs, iron and board, hair dryer, shampoo, conditioner and lotion. The beds had 5 pillows each and were firm but yet comfortable. The rooms were on the small side but were well laid out so we were not tripping over each other. We also had a very large closet that made keeping the room tidy easier.

There is some street parking available but we opted to pay for parking in the parkade across the street. I will be honest that it is irritating to pay an additional $4.99 a night for parking when we paid so much for the room, but the overnight temperatures were so low that we needed to make sure the car would be warm and would start in the morning.

We did not use room service, the high speed internet, fitness room or business services even though there were available for use. We did eat in Harwoods (the main dining room) as we were offered 2 days of breakfasts as a result of the issues we had with booking the room. The breakfasts were great and the staff went above and beyond the call of duty – especially the dining room host who managed to get some WD40 for me when the wheels on my walker began to seize.

The pool was the main attraction and it was great. It was really warm and great to spend time in. We spent most of out time outdoors and loved making our hair frosty. The previous reviewer is correct that this weekend they restricted access to hotel guests only as it was very busy. We noticed it most on the Sunday evening when the pool was at its loudest and most crowded. The pool was best in the mornings when it is really quiet. It is not a private facility and as a result can be noisy and yes children are allowed in the pool too.

We did not take in any spa services in the hotel. We opted to try a place just down the street in a converted train station called Sahara Day Spa. They were wonderful – even though Google maps led us astray and we were quite late by the time we got there.

All in all I would say we had a great stay and we will be back again!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
Templegardens, Manager at Temple Gardens Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2011

I was glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you shared your detailed comments with everyone. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future. On a side not the coach room that you stayed in will have all new furniture, lamps, art work and bedding by the end of March 2011.
Again thank you

Reviewed February 20, 2011

I've had mixed feelings about this place for years.

I like the pool, but they are not very good at informing the public when it is out-of-order. Today they were short of lifeguards and turning people away - many of whom had traveled quite far. There was also one man in the pool who quite clearly had a bad skin condition and should not have been allowed in the facility. The locker rooms resemble something from a normal fitness facility, and the pool is not always quiet and peaceful (people do bring their youngsters - its fine but don't expect serenity always)

One saving grace, is that the staff is generally friendly and quite accomodating in the pool, restaurant and gift shop. I've had mixed experiences with the front desk and Morningsides.

I had a very simple meal at Harwood's lounge (beef dip and fries) and I thought they botched it. The beef dip had slimey gravy in it, and the chips were greasy (Au Jus does not mean served with gravy). I could have received a better sandwich at Quiznos.

I do this place as a day trip now, because I don't like the rooms. They are out-of-date and the mattresses needed replacement. Many places in the facility look like they need a coat of paint and the furniture was beat up. I've worked in hotels in the past, and there are generally plans to deal with these kind of issue - this place looks overwhelmed.

I do like the pool and the staff, but the place isn't very well run and this is going to effect anyone who is expecting something approaching a luxury getaway.

I suggest getting a pass to the pool, eating nearby, and staying elsewherel.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for passing on your comments regarding the pool. We do our best to staff the pool to try to meet the demand on the different days, but sometime we get busies than expected and can only have so many people per lifeguard due to our concern for your safety. We can always accommodate our hotel room guests as we know how many of those we are going to have. It is with the daily walk-ins that we cannot anticipate and sometimes have to turn them away unfortunately.