“Culinary mecca in Sherbrooke, Quebec”
Review of La table du chef

La table du chef
Ranked #2 of 357 Restaurants in Sherbrooke
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 18, 2013

If you're within an hour's drive of Sherbrooke, Quebec - perhaps on the way to Montreal, or perhaps skiing at nearby Mont Orford - and you have a hankering for classic French cuisine, you will want to work in a stop at La Table du Chef. I was there for a special wine tasting dinner with a fixed menu, but I needed no introduction to the chef, Alain Labrie, formerly of the highly-respected Auberge Hatley in nearby North Hatley. I had many memorable meals there. Unfortunately, the venerable inn burned to the ground in 2006, but the silver lining to that tragedy is that Alain and his wife Joelle opened La Table du Chef.
The restaurant is a chic remake of a former rectory next to a decommissioned church. After passing by the attractive bar at the entrance, you enter the restaurant proper, broken up into cozy rooms conducive to conversation.
The staff is highly professional and friendly, in quintessential quebecois style.
The meal that evening, paired with wines from a Madiran (southwest France) vineyard, Domaine des Bories, was foie gras, breast of duck, braised bison cheek (that was a first for me!), and a pear tart, all perfectly prepared and beautifully presented, even for a group of 40 guests who came for the special dinner. All 40 could not fit into one room, an advantage and a disadvantage at the same time. To me it was a net positive, but it might be hard for a group of more than 25 or so to be in the same room, if that was a necessity.
On the regular menu you can expect to find a classic array of French dishes. The wine list is top-notch.
The prices are in accordance with the quality of the food and the ambiance. Well worth a detour, if you're looking for a special dining experience. Bon appetit!

2  Thank Ronaldo251

Reviewed February 25, 2013

La table du Chef is rank #1 by TA in Sherbrooke and I am adding my two cents (even if the pennies have disappeared) to confirm that ranking.
We were 2 couples in Sherbrooke for a curling bonspiel and looking for the best restaurant in town, we went for La table du Chef as recommended. We took the discovery menu with the pairing of wines and we were not disappointed. Service is great and Emilie described the wines perfectly. Do not miss the chance to try it

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We went there on Valentine's day dinner, possibly not the best time to pass judgement on a restaurant. We took the special 5-course Valentine's day special with 4 glasses of wine.
The Chef has an excellent reputation so the expectations were high. I thought that the food was excellent in the context of a place like Sherbrooke. I only give it 4 stars as I evaluate it on a broader context (such as top restaurants in Montreal) and also considering my expectations. I remember being "wow-ed" when having dinner at the Hatley Inn, not quite here.
The four stars also for the service. I have come to expect inferior service on evenings like Valentine's day but at the end there were just about four tables left so I don't understand why it took so long to get my bill after I asked for it.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

To have lunch or diner here is always a very good experience. The chef Labrie has been recognized for many years and did put the Hatley Inn restaurant in North Hatley on the map. Unfortunately it burned down and chef Labrie opened his place in Sherbrooke. We do have a few nice restaurants in Sherbrooke but La Table is a few notches above every other one. I go on a regular basis regularly for lunch and have been a few times for dinner and was never disappointed. I would recommend it for sure.

1  Thank QuebecDany
Reviewed May 26, 2012

A lovely refined atmosphere and ambience. From the greeting by hostess Joelle to the creative appetizer and entree, the entire experience was a pleasure. The service by Joanne was very good and the food was perfect. Beyond our expectations.

Kevin & Marlene