“A very good hotel”

Grand Times Hotel Sherbrooke
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Sherbrooke
Reviewed October 11, 2011

We spent one night here and were very impressed. Lovely bed, excellent, bright bathroom and very attractive decor. Breakfast (included) was very good but no decaf coffee. Desk staff was extremely helpful with directions and restaurant suggestions. Perfect place to stay when visiting students at nearby universities

Room Tip: Try for a room overlooking the lake. Ours did not and was still very quiet but the view from the oth...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank galfree

Reviewed October 2, 2011

I didn't know what to expect, but was very pleasantly surprised by this hotel. It's 1990's Euro-chic, but a great change from the usual chain hotels. Lovely outside patio, nice modern bathroom, good indoor pool, and a friendly staff. Just watch the drink prices- $13 for a glass of wine, $5.50 for a cup of mixed nuts they put out with the drinks. Otherwise a good value. They also have a continental breakfast which is unusual for this type of hotel. I would not recommend Sherbrooke for a visit unless you have something specific to do there- it's not a real tourist destination.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kalimantan50
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I stayed at the Grand Times for 2 nights on a business trip. The overall look and decor of the hotel is very modern, but certainly not unpleasant. The room was very spacious and exceptionally clean, and had a nice view of the lake and the grounds. I found the bed quite comfortable, but the pillows (even though they were feather) were surprisingly hard.
The bar has an impressive wine list, but the beer selection could definitely be improved. The included continental breakfast was quite basic, and consisted primarily of cereal, bread and bagels, with some cut fruit. I think the hotel could really benefit from a restaurant, but I understand that this is not part of the Times model.
The fitness centre consists of a treadmill, a bike and an elliptical machine, so keep that in mind if that is an amenity you look for. Several of my colleagues opted instead to go for runs around the lake (3-4km), so that is a possibility.
Overall there is some room for improvement, but I would stay there again when travelling to Sherbrooke.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank RavensFlight
Reviewed June 24, 2011

I really enjoyed my short stay at the Times. The look of the hotel is a bit much for my tastes (neons and grandiose lobby) but the room was well appointed and the bed, oh so comfortable. The bathroom was large and clean. I slept like a baby. I only wish there was a minibar instead of an empty fridge. The continental breakfast was nice (hard-boiled eggs, choice of breads and cereal, fruit, yogurt, juice) and it was a pleasure to eat in on the terasse outside, right in front of Lac des Nations.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the lake
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank pushplay
Reviewed May 18, 2011

I never write reviews as I am not a hard person to please when it comes to hotel accommodation, but I feel I must post this review as I have returned home extremely frustrated with our stay and the way our concerns were addressed by staff at this hotel from the time we booked to the time we checked out. We booked 11 rooms on behalf of a sports club for a large tournament that took place in Sherbrooke - May, 2011. These rooms were booked in December, 2010 (approx. 6 months prior to the event). Due to the size of this event and the demand for hotel accommodation in the area, it was obvious that this hotel inflated their prices significantly to take advantage of the demand for rooms over that weekend. We made many many phone calls to hotels in the area before booking at this particular hotel and their prices were reasonable, however, they were all full. I must add that this was not a business conference for adults, but a sports tournament for children 13-16 years old. Rooms were priced at $212.00/night (this fee included parking and taxes plus a lodging tax). As disconcerting as this was, we booked anyway as this appeared to be our only option. The second red flag popped up when each room required one night full payment at the time of booking (6 months prior to our arrival) to secure our room (for a total of approx. $2350.00 for our team just to hold our rooms). I've travelled alot in my lifetime with sports (3 children) and have never been asked to pay for one night's lodging 6 months prior to my arrival, but again, we accepted this knowing that we didn't have any other options available to us.
When we arrived, we found the hotel was interestingly decorated and clean, but it became obvious to us that the rooms were significantly overpriced. The hotel's emphasis seemed to be placed more on providing a stay in a contemporary/modern decor rather than providing bare amentities/necessities and excellent customer service to their patrons. Towels were in short supply, hair dryers were non existent, complimentary toiletry items were not available, requested wake up calls did not happen even though requested the night before (we had to be at our venue at 8am), toilet paper was not replaced when the rooms were tidied, closets were very very tiny, the floor to floor supposed "security" system was a little over the top and kids/parents were not permitted to travel to other floors to visit their teammates.
The worst part came with the final bill. Almost two weeks prior to departure, I contacted their group sales department to make arrangement to pre-pay for all rooms using a credit card. They advised that the amount owing for each room was higher than initially quoted (we all received a contract with our quoted prices) because of an increase in their Provincial taxes (even though we booked 6 months prior; even though we had pre-paid for one night's accommodation 6 months prior; and even though we had a contract with our quoted outstanding balance). The extra amount was not significant, however, this team was on a budget, it took many months of fundraising to allow us to travel to this tournament and our budget was tight ! The hotel was generating over $6,000.00 in review from us and one would have thought that this is where they had an opportunity to keep their customers satisfied and do the right thing based on principal not the almighty buck. No such luck!! I found the group sales person to be inconsiderate and argumentative. Upon checkout, many of the families found extra charges on their bills....they were told it was a charge for additional provincial taxes for the first night that we had pre-paid back in Dec/10.However, I was assured when I paid the outstanding amount owing for these rooms two weeks before arrival that all charges were covered....there would be no additional charges unless the each room had personal charges, e.g. phone calls, room services, etc. All through this process, I found staff to have poor customer service skills right from the group sales manager down through to the courtesy desk level. They were more concerned with convincing me they were right rather than acknowledging my concerns and attempting to work together to resolve the issues and create a win-win situation. Overall...a very disgusting experience with their staff. That is the main reason why I would never return to this hotel. Advice for Groups - Find someplace else where they appreciate large groups and the significant revenue generating source they can provide.

Room Tip: Large groups - stay someplace else
  • Stayed: May 2011
8  Thank SportsTraveller076
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Very good location in downtown Sherbrook.
The rooms are confortable and the bed is first quality.
I really appreciated the sleep quality.
The hotel is very quite, the noise isolation is perfect.
I had a very good night of sleep.

The contret walls are a little strange at first glance but once you get used to them it is a nice feature.
I had the impression to stay in a modern German hotel in europe.

I loved the wine bar. The hotel doesn't have a restaurant but only a large bar.
It is a very good concept. They sell sandwiches and cakes.
The wine cellar is HUGE filled up with good wine.

The breakfast was good too but I would have appreciated fresh fruits.

The only down side is the look of the lobby and the pool was too cold.

Room Tip: Get a lake view
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank speed70
Reviewed April 1, 2011

This is our first stay in the Sherbrook.
Before the Times was built Sherbrook didn't have anything attractive for an urban holiday. We have been in the region at the Ripplecove (5*) before and it was a good stay.

The Times is a new style 21 century designer hotel.
We loved the entire design and the atmosphere.
It is locate on the sides of the Sherbrook lake.
A wonderfull place to relaxe either in your room or in the lobby bar watching the walkers or being watched by the other folks.

Sure the concrete all over the place can be cold but again it is a design feature.
I loved the Ripplecove and we too loved the Times Hotel. However they are completely different places.

We had a mini suite with a lake view.
The lake view is a must if you are on a romantic trip. Your girlfriend will fall in love with you ! The penthouse rooms have a 9ft high ceiling with huge windows!

The beds, pillows and covers are very comfortable. They are first quality.

The hotel doesn't have a restaurant but has a huge lobby bar selling sandwiches and really good wine. I think we had 2 bottles of wine. One at 4PM and another one at 6PM ... We got really drunk.

Around the hotel within 10 min walk there are many good restaurants on the main street. We tried a fast food at Charlies (a student restaurant) at noon and the steak house just in front of Charlies. In addition the restaurants give a 15% rebate if you stay at the Times !!

If you have time, take a walk on the shores of the lake. Very nice place to be. There is also a "gourmet train" during summer that you can take for a trip.

Times has defined a new dimension in the hotel business taking a serious advantage on his competitors and giving the Sherbrook city a major attraction.

Like all hotels the Times is not perfect. I did't like the weird white lights above the entrance and the lobby. This is out of the scope. Just imagine the lobby without these poorly designed lights from the 80's. Also the pool has a "bad" location just beside the lobby. In addition the pool was too cold, only 63F !! It should be at least 77F for winter.

Room Tip: A lot of good restaurants around
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rew345
InfoSherbrooke, Manager at Grand Times Hotel Sherbrooke, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2011

I really want to thank you for your comment, we are very happy you had a lovely time with us and hope to see you again, maybe in summer for you to take advantage of the marvellous touristic train Orford Express.
I agree with you that our pool is not our best asset, but working on it!