We initially contacted the James Thompson after reading the overall reviews and determining that it was within our budget and had what we were looking for. My first impression was when I called to check availability and talked to the co-owner Guita, she was quite happy to offer us a room with private bathroom for $120 which included both taxes and parking. This seemed quite reasonable so I said I would like to book with her and offered to provide a credit card to hold the room, she politely said that this wasn't required since they worked on the honour system. This truly set the tone for all of our future dealings with the owners!
On our day of arrival we were running a little late and I called and talked to Greg (the other owner) to let him know we would be only arriving at 10pm. He seemed just fine with this and told me to take my time and just arrive safe...amazing! When we did arrive Greg showed us to the "Red Room" which was on the second floor. This room was had two queen beds (with a firm and a soft mattress to choose from!), private clawfoot tub, three bay windows that opened onto the streets below, free nation wide calling, wifi, a mini cooler/heater for food, and wonderfully red themed room. After being settled we again talked to Greg who pulled out a map of the old city and pointed out a few nice places to see at this time of night.
The next morning we were greeted by a large breakfast with a wonderful selection of fruit, juice, crepes, wild mushrooms (picked by Greg), eggs, back bacon, French toast, etc. This was a great bonus since the cost of a meal in Old Quebec can be quite pricey, it allowed us to just have a light (cheaper) lunch and just have to pay for a dinner.
During breakfast Greg offered us the opportunity to join him on his walk. Conveniently Greg is one of the licensed Tour Guides in the area so he was quite knowledgeable of both the history of the city and the uniqueness off the area's environment. He took us out with another set of guests for a 1.5 - 2 hour trail hike that I would have never have found on a tourist map. It was a great start to our first full day and was of course was free.
We stayed with Greg and Guita for three nights and all my dealings with them and the other guests were quite pleasant. I would highly recommend this location for anyone who is looking for an excellent location, good food, and affordable accommodations for what you get. I know we will return one day!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our home was built in 1793 and it situated within the fortified walls of famous Vieux Quebec. It is classified as an Historic Monument by the Government of Quebec and has a 4 "sun" rating. Our tastefully decorated guest rooms have Queen-sized beds for your comfort. We offer two rooms, each with one Queen-sized bed, and the third room has two Queen-sized beds. Our entire home is protected by a well maintained fire detection system that is monitored all the time. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Maison Historique James Thompson reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maison Historique James Thompson Hotel Quebec City
- Maison Historique James Thompson Quebec/Quebec City