“Sushi night”

Cuisines: Sushi, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We went for the sushi night (tuesday) with the sushis at $1/piece. The sushis were very good, the presentation was beautiful. Nice restaurant for its location out of Old Quebec city.

Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Ambiance: Upon arrival we were placed on a tiny picnic table in the middle of a really busy service way. We had to ask to move to a more quiet corner. The restaurant is crammed, the tables are minuscule with paper table cloths. The music is extremely loud, so much so that we often had to repeat in order to hear each other.

Food: Very ordinary - Everything is served with Mc Donald's style fries. It's quite obvious that a lot of the food is not prepared in house, but rather bought at the supermarket and put on your plate. All the deserts are Costco grade cakes sold to you for a profit. The wine was in fact quite good, but it's hard to mess that up.

We asked to replace one ingredient in their chocolate martini (baileys instead of Tia Maria) and they used this opportunity to bill us the entire drink "by the shot". This tactic more than doubled the price they regularly charge for a martini (each shot was billed at around 5$).

For me this was the ultimate insult since we had a few drinks and they clearly tried to milk us further with that billing scheme.

Overall It was terrible. Save your money and go dine at le Chateau Frontenac!

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We bought a Gastronomic package at Tuango and paid 60$ for a full course menu for 2 with a bottle of wine and 2 cosmopolitans (120$ value). By chance because it was just worth 60$ even for 2...

When we came in the place was very very loud. Dance music, loud music. We were looking for something gastronomic, creative and delicious. We found a place with a lack of professionalism and by no means it can be called gastronomic. Typical appetizer: nordic shrimps (CANNED!) floating in garlic butter and drowned under grated cheese. Soup? Carrot cream with chunks of carrot in it. The main course was the most upsetting. The bavette came with no sauce whatsoever, accompanied with McDo like french fries and boiled broccoli, almost raw rutabaga and a cherry tomato. My ris de veau came with pastas (frighteningly looking like Aylmer tomato soup linguini!!!) and the same boiled broccoli, almost raw rutabaga and cherry tomato. I was amazed that a restaurant giving itself a gastronomic title would place the same wrongly cooked plate filling vegetables on all the courses.

For desert came what I think was the most weird thing I have felt in a restaurant. I was being served Costco Profiterolles!!!! I know them for buying them. I can make difference between hand made profiterolles and Costco ones... and those came right from supermarket.

The service was rater horrible, left out a server who was professional and kind enough to buy back most of the errors the waitress made.

The suggested tip at bottom of bill was awesome to see and not follow.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

A great restaurant in a quiet area. The food was delicious and the service was friendly. We would definitely go there again!

Reviewed June 30, 2012

In a nutshell: STAY AWAY. Why? Well, for a lot of reasons. I have felt so ripped-off that even though I am not someone who usually write reviews it was capital for me to share the worst experience of service I have had in all the 15+ countries I have visited in my lifetime. Ergo I would rudely say that unless you feel stupid enough to actually dare to try this place, then you are risking to completely spoil an evening in a very pricey fashion getting all the mediocrity you can imagine by a minus 1 star service in a rather very loud place. I would therefore suggest to make yourself a favor and avoid this place big time.

Here are the details of our experience. First, we have been welcomed, by a very kind girl I must say, to take place in a weird section, it was like an extension of the restaurant in the parking lot, with tiny picnic tables and seats, very uncomfortable and placed very close to other clients. It would have been great for an otherwise quick, meaningless lunch setup. But it wasn't quick at all. The service was so slow and careless that before we could even order a drink it took at least 20 minutes. Bad start, and people around us were seemingly experiencing the same joke. Finally a waitress came to take our orders, which ultimately resulted in a lot of errors, so much that exactly two out of five services were mistaken (and we did not take the last two). Even worse, the guy who brought us the mistaken services even told us twice something like are you sure, maybe you could try it, it is tasty you know!? Even no excuses, quite amateurish! Long story short, we arrived at a point where we waited for an hour and a half between two services to finally get our main dish, but running out of wine. We have been patient like we have never been before, but we were getting seriously angry. What we ordered from the menu was a 12 pieces of sushis instead we got 9, even 8 in some platters. We asked our waitress what happened just to find out it was "acceptable and normal" for them. But the sushis were ok, I mean at least they felt fresh, after all this time. After this we waited again after we finished our meal, and it took half an hour before someone came to pick our empty dishes. We asked for the addition right away.

For me and my girlfriend, starting with a gin tonic and a cosmo, a salad, a soup, a bottle of Pinot Noir La Crema wine, sushis, and finally coffee+dessert that we were much too angry to even think of taking, here's the cost: 260$. And there was a mention, written in bold, big letters at the bottom of the bill proposing the tip amount... Those people are seriously mad! We even had tickets which we asked about the exact formula in the beginning and at the end, they said it was not valid on both the meal they suggested us, and the alcohol. TOTAL RIPOFF FROM THE BEGINNING TO THE END. We asked for the manager, and first we were told he was not there, then we were told he was in the parking repairing an issue with the sewer pipes or something. We got outside and finally managed to see him, and what we met was a nonchalant, apathetic and arrogant person. He told us if you are not happy then don't come back. And so this is how our terrible evening at Les Frères Toc ended.