“Second Trip to Quebec City, Second visit”
Review of Le Pain Beni - CLOSED

Le Pain Beni
Cuisines: French, Canadian, Soups, European
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Cross street: rue du Tresor
Austin, Texas
“Second Trip to Quebec City, Second visit”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I think this place is wonderful. They have outdoor seating right in the middle of a street full of restaurants and boutique hotels with outdoor seating. I ate here last year, and returned with my friend on this latest trip.

I had Joue Boeuf MJ, which was really quite delicious. I usually don't eat beef at lunch, but this prime rib slice was perfectly cooked and seasoned.

The service was good, and the atmosphere was delightful.

The portions are quite large here.

• Visited July 2013

“Poor service, ok food and good atmosphere”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Every place we have gone in Quebec has had great attitudes and friendly people, except our waiter here. The food was ok, but the service definitely took away from the experience.

1 Thank THC1996
Montreal, Canada
“Exquisite food, prompt service, excellent location”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

As a vegetarian, it is remarkably hard to find good options in Quebec City. Most restaurants focus heavily on meat, and some don't have any veggie option at all. If they do, it's often something boring like pasta primavera. Not so at Pain Beni! Our hotel (Hotel Champlain) recommended the restaurant, and we had the best meal of our trip there. I would actually say that it was one of the best meals I've had in recent years in a restaurant.

I started with the soup of the day (tomato), which was mouth-watering. It had such a sharp flavour & complex aromas, and the fresh bread brought to the table was excellent. My friend had the French onion soup, which he devoured in enraptured silence.

For the main course, I had their tomato tart which defies description, but I shall attempt to do so anyway. It was a disc of flaky puff pastry, topped with fresh buffalo mozarella and two stewed, skinned tomatoes. The tomatoes were, in a word, magical. They had a sweetness and a flavour unmatched by any other tomatoes I've ever encountered; I think they must have been cooked with balsamic di modena or something equally sweet and amazing, because I was actually speechless in their presence. The tart was served with a red pepper 'foam' and balsamic gel dots - the contrasting textures and flavours were exquisite. The tart came with an excellent summer salad with a hint of sesame; an excellent savoury, earthy contrast to the tart.

My friend had the pork belly, which was a little much for him - it came with a veritable sea of baked beans, crispy black pudding, and a few vegetables. If you're looking for the richest dinner in the world, possible in connection with snowshoeing all day, this might be the option for you, and it truly showcased Quebec cuisine.

Dessert was a goat's cheese creme brulee (yes, goat's cheese) with the most perfect Madeleine I've ever had. I normally associate Madeleine's to sad, spongy things that stick in your throat, but these were crisp on the outside, fluffy on the inside, and delicious. The creme brulee was far too large after our meals, and the goat's cheese made it vaguely reminiscent of a light cheesecake. It was interesting, and very well-prepared, but I think I would probably either get one to share or go for one of the lighter options next time.

I would highly recommend this restaurant, and would love to go back to Quebec City again soon just to do so. Great selection of wines by the glass (and knowledgeable servers to recommend pairings for your meal). Very efficient, discreet and hospitable service.

Columbia, South Carolina
“Good value and food”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We came here after Conti Caffe didn't have our reservation (which we made on OpenTable and had a confirmation number for). We were quickly accommodated and the food and service were good. The value was good for the quality of food. The soups were very tasty and all 4 in our party enjoyed our dishes (my bass was excellent). All of the food had a nice fresh flair.

Haverhill, Massachusetts
“Very good street side dining.”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We got a table later in the evening on the sidewalk. The waiters were very good. Suggested meals that we would enjoy. My partner had the stripped bass. She was hesitant but loved it. I had roasted chicken breast. For dessert she had the chefs special and I had the corn and strawberry dessert. The basil ice cream was different and delicious. Give it a try.

Visited August 2013