“Yum”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Cross street: rue du Tresor
Reviewed May 15, 2013

One of the best meals I have had for a very reasonable price.
I started with the soup of the day which was a puréed vegetable soup, followed by the braised lamb ( cooked to perfection)pappardelle and finished with a maple favored cream brûlée. ( finally a place that can cook a crime brûlée ). All of these and a glass of wine for $50. I thought they had made a mistake. I had similar quality food elsewhere for much more.
The service was also very good . I went for dinner by myself . The waiter gave me an option of two tables. They were very attentive, efficient and polite.

2  Thank Natasha777s
There are newer reviews for Le Pain Beni

Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed at Place D"Armes (loved it, will do a separate review on the hotel) and had dinner at Pain Beni our first night in Quebec City. It was wonderful. My husband raved about the beef carpaccio and the deer. I ordered the cod and it was fabulous Our server was friendly and went out of his way to make our dinner special. When we explained that we were looking for other restaurants he not only suggested a few others, he made the reservations. Breakfast was included in the stay and the portions were generous and the quality was great (oatmeal with quebec maple syrup was particularly good)

1  Thank rickyandlucy12
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Very weel located. Great food, Friendly staff. Very nice decor. You have the option of creating your own full course menu (petite table, grande table, little full), which is an original way of doing things in my opinion. My wife had the black cod and it was at the same time delicious and original. I had the cassoulet (which was not one is the strict sense of the word) but it was very tasty and surprising. A little heavy for the summer days though... lucky for me, it was freezing outside. Desserts were outstanding. Not cheap, but not too expensive either. At least, you get your money's worth...

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I had free breakfast with my stay at the hotel attached. The breakfast was a very decently proportioned, wonderfully tasting way to start my days. The restaurant was always full, and for good reason! Must visit while in Quebec City!

1  Thank jess224
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Dinner at Le Pain Beni (www.painbeni.com) proved to be the equivalence of a two-Michelin star restaurant. It was located a stone’s throw from Le Chậteau Frontenac in the Upper Town (Haute-Ville) section, and was connected to the Auberge Place d’Armes. The attractive décor was an eclectic combination of antiquities (such as the brick and stone walls that dated to the 1600’s) with more modern furnishings such as the splayed wooden slats that were suspended from the ceiling, and which held interesting light fixtures that provided soft lighting. Under ordinary circumstances they would function to intensify sound, but the brick and stone walls absorbed resonant sound so that the venue was a tranquil one, with no competition for conversations. The tables were generously spaced which fostered a sense of privacy. The front dining room seemed preferable to the rear one.

A generous glass of the house Montepulciano was a decent, bold wine ($6). A crusty, flavorful baguette was served with a pastry-tubed portion of salted butter. (Warning: don’t fill up on bread, as the dinner portions were quite generous!)

The entire dinner was a sophisticated, inventive, visual and culinary delight that was carefully crafted by a talented chef! A first course of a hearty squash soup was served with a flavorful, cumin infused grissini which complimented the subtle curry essence of the soup. It was effective in off-setting the winter chill: in spite of it being spring, it snowed today and is 2°C. A mountain of a julienned concoction that included apple and cabbage blanketed flavorful morsels of apple cider braised lamb. Around the perimeter of the large plate were ravioli with a rich lamb filling and covered in cheddar gratinée, and a saffron turnip purée. The salmon course was perfectly cooked: light pink in the center, moist, and flavorful. It was accompanied by toasted pine nuts and a fragrant polenta, along with a spinach mousseline and al dente vegetables.

A dessert plate included an intense orange sorbet that was flecked with something crunchy (not sure what it was) that worked well with it. A small, buckwheat muffin that was bisected perched on the plate. The dense, dark chocolate ganache fulfilled my chocolate cravings that, consequently, will be sated for a long time. Fortunately I had a swallow of wine left which worked sublimely with the chocolate.

Our server was efficient, bilingual, unpretentious, and professional. Her care was unobtrusive and helpful. The bill with a 20% tip was $57 each. A meal of the caliber would be more than double in New York. Without hesitation, I highly recommend this restaurant! Reservations are a must!