“Not a Tourist Joint - The Real Deal”
Review of Echaude

Echaude
Ranked #26 of 1,499 Restaurants in Quebec City
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Reviewed October 13, 2013

This restaurant while in the heart of the tourist area of Quebec City has all the characteristics of a chic New York, Montreal or Toronto Restaurant. The food is superb and the waitstaff competent and engaging. They have an original proposition offering any three appetizers as a main course. Cannot find any fault in this place. Don't miss it if you are in Quebec City.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

I went to L'Échaudé with a group of eight while on a business trip. The restaurant had come highly recommanded but was very disappointing. The foie gras was fine but sat on clumpy mashed potatoes. The "cerf", which i had ordered medium-rare (and which is how the chef recommends it be cooked) came closer to medium, even well done in places. At $36, not worth it! Lastly for dessert, an apple crumble that consisted of a few small pieces of apple with a very dry something on top and a very small spoonful of ice cream. The service was fine and friendly, which is about the only good thing i can say about this restaurant. Most people in our group thought the experience was low value for the money.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

For the last night of our Honeymoon we wanted a romantic dinner close to our hotel in Lower Town. The concierge at our hotel recommended the SSS restaurant around the corner from L'Echaude but there was no availability so we chose L'Echaude instead. The outdoor seating was nice on a pleasant night, but when we walked up and said 'hello' we were not greeted kindly. The service was pretty bad for the remainder of the evening - the couple seated beside us made a comment about it as well and we chatted briefly. There were a few very nice younger people working but the Maitre'D/Head Waiter who was serving us was very rude.

We ordered our drinks and waited for about 10 minute before they arrived - during which time our server pulled another server outside and tried to inconspicuously motion to us. I made eye contact with him while this was happening and it made me extremely uncomfortable. I'm not sure if this was because we were young (newlyweds), American, or because he didn't think we would be spending any money, but it's a shame because we had plenty to spend.

The food was good - my husband ordered the seared scallops and they were delicious. The duck confit was good but not fantastic (have had better at nice French restaurants near us). Overall not a great experience, though.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We had lunch here. The restaurant was very busy and service seemed a little strained initially, but it certainly improved. We had a trio of dishes, where were well prepared and very well presented. This is a popular restaurant, and it seems to be the locals rather than the tourists that make the numbers - which seems a good sign to me.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

This restaurant was the " top pick" recommendation from Lonely Planet. Since it was only around the corner from where we were staying we thought we would give it a try. I had the foie gras ....nice enough without been to die for but the tiniest of portions and partner had the tomato plate.....a melody of different ways tomatoes can be cooked.....don't bother. For mains I had the smoked salmon tartare served with fries and salad....didn't even finish the meal.....considering I love tartare ....what is there to say? Partner had the duck but found it tough. I asked for a glass of dry wine but the waiter decided I would like the sweet white wine better....of course it may have paired better with my starter but it really belonged better with a dessert. We didn't bother asking for dessert.

1  Thank walpolepark11