“Affordable eats on Petit Champlain”

Bistro Sous le Fort
Ranked #31 of 1,523 Restaurants in Quebec City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I've been to Quebec City 3 times and this is a great location for lunch or dinner. Located along Petit Champlain, Sous-le-Fort is a tiny (and I mean small!) restaurant with reasonable prices and great quality food. The staff are friendly and bilingual while the menu has plenty of selection. I had the elk burger which comes with a salad and frites, all of which were very tasty and cost just about $20 after tax. Most of the restaurants along this street would charge top dollar for food of this quality. The atmosphere is charming with a nice fireplace and french decor.

I would recommend this to groups sized 2-4 people who are looking for a quaint, delicious meal. Also a great date location! This isn't really a place for large groups or families unless you make a reservation. Bon Appetit!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,320)

Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

The staff were very attentive .
It is a very small place but warm .
French onion soup was on the salty side ,but the yellow pea soup was good .
I order the deer medallion with the blueberry sauce t ( portion was small for the price but it was tasty ) and my wife order the steak and fries ( New York striplion with a peppercorn sauce) again a little to much salt.
Our bill was under 90.00 cdn (tax include , of red wine and a diet coke ) plus the tip .

Reviewed December 26, 2013

For a change we stayed across the river in a bb in Levis. We were provided with passes for the ferry and the crossing at night with the view of Quebec city and the ice filled river was great. We like the lower part of the city so picking Sous le Fort was easy. It was a few minutes from the ferry dock right beside the elevator to the upper part. We had no reservations and as the place is small were okay as it was early in the week and evening. The service was very good and friendly and the pace very relaxed. I had the French onion soup and a beef medallion dish while my wife went with the brie appetizer and the deer meat dish. All was good including the wine. A nice warm place in the cold Quebec city winter.

Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

We had an excellent dinner here! Loved the atmosphere and service was good. Salad was great and hamburger was delicious. Would definitely come again!

Reviewed December 21, 2013

The food was amazing, and the atmosphere enjoyable. The brie in the maple reduction was to die for. It's a tiny place, and the staff did a great job with service, even as they were bombarded by cruise ship pax while we were there. It's so good that I took their business card and will return the next time I'm in Quebec City.