“Nice quiet place for lunch”
Review of Mistral Gagnant - CLOSED

Mistral Gagnant
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We discovered this restaurant by wandering. It was much quieter than other places although it was a late lunch. Had the lunch menu which included an appetizer. The gazpacho soup was delicious. Also had a nice omelet which came with mashed potatoes and carrots. For dessert, the creme brulet was also delicious. Nice find during a busy festival in the lower town.

1  Thank alsyeki

Reviewed July 31, 2013

and family owned and operated ( according to out hotel concierge). We tried it on their recommendation and are glad we did. Service was professional and the atmosphere quite authentic, right down to the quirky little hankies over the light fixtures. The presentation was lovely but un- fussy. We started with escargot in a light pastry, good but not unusually so. The Boulliabaisse had at least three kinds of fish as well as shrimp, scallop and mussels in a light tomato based soup. Very good! My husband's duck was perfectly cooked ( pink in the center) with a very good orange sauce. Desserts were excellent: a nicely tart lemon pie and a nicely sweet sugar pie ( a Quebec specialty). A lovely bottle of rose' which the waiter suggested complemented the entire meal. A very pleasant dining experience for couples or small groups. Leave the kiddies home.

2  Thank Altina V
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The appetizer was delicious and the venue was tastefully done but everything else was a horrible disappointment.
I ordered bouillabaise, which at $40 is one of the most expensive items on the menu. It had been recommended in a tour book, but the best that can be said for it is that it was full of protein. Flavour was almost totally lacking and all but one of the different types of seafood that are part of the classic recipe were absent.
The restaurant opened late for the evening meal and though I assured the waiter? owner? that it wasn't a problem, all his charm evaporated at the first words of English that issued from my mouth.
Service was minimal and perfunctory. At least for me. Other patrons were treated better.
The most disappointing meal of my entire trip came to close to $47 once taxes were added on.

1  Thank Cherylyn S
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We ate here for lunch. The host/owner who waited on us was very pleasant. We had: chicken with goat cheese and sliced tenderloin with mushrooms (which came with a wonderful vegetable soup). Both meals came with scalloped potatoes which were great. We enjoyed the food, the quiet atmosphere, the leisurely pacing of the meal (not too slow, though, but certainly not rushed). We would recommend this place.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

The owner came from Toulouse 39 years ago and has brought with him the kind of place I look for when in France. A nice simple local restaurant with reasonably priced set menus. Many nearby places are packed with tourists, but this is a little apart and everyone else there on our visit was local. I like to feel that I am a visitor and not a tourist and I loved the easy local atmosphere. Great food and reasonably priced wines.

2  Thank Coylum