“Great find!”
Review of Mistral Gagnant - CLOSED

Mistral Gagnant
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Wenham
“Great find!”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Had a terrific table d'hôte lunch of two fishes (salmon and bass) preceded by a light and lovely potato leek soup with creme brûlée for dessert. Everything was cooked perfectly. The price was extremely reasonable and the service was both warm and efficient. I have been to Quebec many, many times and this is my favorite so far. On the way we passed several well known restaurants, many of which I have tried and liked. Mistral Gagnant is only about three minutes further up St. Paul and is slightly apart but it is well worth walking the short distance further. We will definitely be back. We can't believe it is not full every day...and although we would like to always be able to find a seat...it should be on everyone's short list. It is a real treat!

3 Thank judyl8864

• Polish first
Montreal, Canada
“We loved it!”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and I wanted French cuisine and had read about this little restaurant on Tripadvisor. We were immediately charmed by the owner who came from the southern France town of Toluce. The atmosphere was very much like Provence. We ordered the salmon with capers appetizer which was delicious. The chicken stuffed with goat cheese was perfect and the accompanying vegetables were just right. We were both stuffed or we would have ordered dessert which looked very good. The service was excellent and not rushed. The restaurant has been at that location for twelve years, so you know they are doing something right. A real value for great food and friendly service. We would certainly go there again.

2 Thank Scot C
New England
“Best Dining Deal in Quebec City!”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

This restaurant isn't just about great prices it's also about great food! On our last night of five in Quebec City we stumbled upon this wonderful little gem slightly off the beaten path. While many of our previous meals had been good, they were also very over priced. From 5:30 - 6:30 pm this quaint little French restaurant serves a three course meal for under 20$ and it's fabulous -- our best meals of the trip! We started with a tasty leek and potato soup and for main courses I had the Deux Poissons (white fish and salmon in a butter sauce) and my husband had the veal stew -- both were excellent. For dessert I had the lemon pie -- perfectly tart and delicious and my husband had the sugar pie which was not too sweet and also delicious. Yes -- all of this for under 20$ each!!! The drinks were reasonably priced as well. I just wish we had discovered Mistral Gagnant earlier in the trip because we would definitely have been back to try other dishes on the menu. With most of our dinner tabs exceeding the 100$ this was a true bargain. The restaurant is on Rue St. Paul in the Lower Town and is within easy walking distance of the main attractions in the area. discouraged by the location.

3 Thank BjaTraveler
Frederick, Maryland
“Undiscovered treasure”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Had a delightful meal of fish stew with appetizer of smoked salmon, salad, and chocolate pie dessert all for &40 (plus tax, service, and drink). It was excellent. I am on a journey to find the perfect Bouillabaisse. This one is memorable.
Unfortunately I was only person in here fom 6pm to 7pm on Thursday evening. What am I missing? A reasonably rated restaurant in lower town and yet it seemed all the locals went to L'Echadue (a couple blocks away); it was packed with locals (they all spoke French). Plan to go there tonight...
I still do not regret spending the evening at this restaurant that reminded me of great family gathering places in Europe. Bon appetit!

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank RevDrRobert
Toronto, Ontario
“Charming lunch!”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We enjoyed a late lunch at this charming provencal restaurant. The owner, from Toulouse, enjoyed talking about his hometown. My husband and I had a $16.00 lunch which included soup (vegetable, gazpacho) and duck with delicious potatoes and vegetables. We finished with pie (lemon, sugar) which were both delicious. It was a lovely way to spend a leisurely August lunch in a charming setting, with terrific food at reasonable prices.

• Visited August 2012