“Very good food and atmosphere. Very overpriced.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Saint-Amour

Le Saint-Amour
Ranked #14 of 1,427 Restaurants in Quebec City
Cuisines: French, Canadian
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: St-Louis
Description: Comme un repas se doit d'etre une experience inoubliable a tous les points de vue, les deux proprietaires du Saint-Amour M. Jacques Fortier et le Chef Jean-Luc Boulay ont deploye depuis 1978 leurs energies afin de reunir une equipe passionnee et attentionnee, de la cuisine a la salle a manger. Le Saint Amour se veut figure de proue dans le rayonnement de la gastronomie quebecoise. Alliant tradition et innovation, Jean-Luc Boulay et son chef Patrick Dubé misent sur les plus récentes techniques pour rendre hommage aux fins produits de notre Terroir. Au fil des ans, notre table est devenue un endroit raffine et chaleureux ou le qualificatif de distinctive ne s'arrete pas a la cuisine, mais s'etend jusqu'a l'ambiance et au confort des lieux.
“Very good food and atmosphere. Very overpriced.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

All in all very good. Prepare yourself for over the top prices though. There is a glut of lobster and their lobster dish $50 is way over the top. A reset of their complete price structure is highly recommended. I can find equal quality at half the price.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

• Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,003 helpful votes
“Not great at all”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

I see the absolute rave reviews here and I hate to be one here to burst the bubble!

Fine dining should, in all truth, be an overall experience...taking into account the ambience, service, setting, wines, etc. But it is really all down to the food.

Yes. For sure there are aspects to this restaurant that rank with the best. I single out the superlative service from Jean Noel and Stuart. They truly are among the top servers we have experienced. The restaurant atmosphere evokes a relaxed yet classy atmosphere that is also among the best. A very decent Riesling, chosen with the expert help of Jean Noel, settled us in nicely for the meal ahead.

So....now to the food! This is where it al fell down ... for us anyway.
We all have our opinions and I do believe we are not overly fussy but we do expect to enjoy excellent food in the proper restaurant. I do not expect Michelin star quality for the price of a local bistro. Saint Amour has a reputation of fine dining and so this was our, not unreasonable, expectation.

The menu was very good value..but that does not mean you can cut corners. Quality does not come commensurate with what you pay.

The bread to table was not fresh with a crisp crust. The crust was limp and soft.
My tartare of deer was so tart it totally wiped out any chance of tasting the meat. My wonderful GF does not eat raw meat and her alternative offering of a simple tasteless artichoke salad was, to be blunt, awful. Why did chef not offer a fish tartare?
The veal was not as tender as I have experienced and the accompanying mushrooms were so over salted as to be inedible. What was that square of potatoe? It was barely warm and lacked any flavour. We both didn't eat it.

The star of the meal was my chocolate dessert. A fine assembly of perfectly complimentary flavours and beautifully presented. My Gf''s cheese consisted of two tiny pieces of cheese served with bread that was hacked. By this I mean some slices were a centimetre thick while others were 3 cms thick. this shows total lack of attention to detail for me. We asked for the proper accompaniment for cheese...thin bread/melba toast and crackers, which were both very good.

Yes. Very disappointing indeed for us.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Harleyclarkey
Toronto, Canada
“Fantastic!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

I had one of the best meals I ever had at this restaurant. The food was beautifully presented and tasted delicious. Highly recommended

Mississauga, Canada
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

Dinner with friends was perfection at this restaurant. Within walking distance to the major hotels downtown in Quebec City. Food fabulous and reasonably priced. Excellent service and beautiful decor. Would come back to visit Quebec City for this restaurant alone !

2 Thank Ginger G
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Excellent dinner and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

My husband had the lamb and I had the lobster entrees and they were both delicious. We also had the lobster bisque which was the best we have ever had. One of our favorite dining experiences in Quebec City.

2 Thank Christine D