“Superb meal”

Restaurant Le Retro
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We seem to have hit the jackpot. The menu outside was appealing, but we hesitated because there were no other diners out on the terrace on a beautiful evening. Glad we decided to stay...it must have been just a little early... The outside tables filled quickly and we were treated to two delicious entrees: pork cheeks and game meat pie. Quite different and both just remarkable! Friendly, attentive service, fair prices.

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Good service. A bit slow, but not that much. The pie was excellent, as were the steamed mussels (moules et frites).

Reviewed August 3, 2013

My husband and I came upon Le Retro while browsing the main street, and it was a lovely surprise. We ate here for dinner our first night in town. The service was friendly, although I do agree with others, it was a bit slow. However, we were in the mood to sit and watch the crowds go by, so we didn't mind. We ate on the patio and enjoyed the ambiance of the street. We both ordered the meat pies, and were not disappointed. The food was delicious! I had a vegetarian version, and it was fantastic. After spending a few more days in Quebec city we found out that many other places were 'tourist traps' with really horribly overpriced food. While this dinner was not 'cheap' by any stretch, it was definitely worth the money, and very well prepared. Give it a try! It's a lovely little place with a quaint patio and good food.

Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Got tricked by sign out the front with special deal. Apparently only for lunch although sign still in doorway. Waitress nice, food delicious but service was very slow. Then given a lecture on not tipping enough. If the gratuity is not a choice anymore why not just add it on and stop the misconception that you have a choice!!!! Ate in the next night so guess what -15% of nothing is nothing. Poor attitude and arrogance is bad for tourism.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

This place is a bit hit or miss. My wife got a chicken dish with a pastry and the chicken was overcooked. I got the well advertised game meat pie and it was one of the best meals I've ever had. I don't recommend the house wine, it's not very good, but it was cheap.

If you want classical French cuisine, order here, but stick to either the pies or one of the non chicken dishes is my suggestion.